Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannabis, does it grow like a weed or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannabis, does it grow like a weed or not?

I’m going to start out by saying I’ve heard some grows say that cannabis is a weed and it grows like one, yet many others claim it requires a more careful regime of environmental controls in order to grow out it’s true

Sure I can grow a plant from seed to harvest and enjoy the fruits of my labor. Did I get the maximum potential from that seed?? Maybe I did, maybe I didn’t. How can I truly know? So many environmental variables could change our results. I can test my end product but for most of us home growers, testing isn’t the answer, we want an eyeball and or effect test that confirms we grew some dank weed.

I’ve rarely had a seed that made it past the seedling stage that didn’t go on to produce bud. I guess from that point of view it does grow like a weed, just get it past the seedling stage and you’ll get something in return. But my idea of a weed is a bit different. Weeds are invasive, they thrive in environments that should inherently be detrimental for them. Cannabis is a bit more finicky, it’ll grow in adverse conditions but it won’t thrive.

This brings us back to environmental controls. We all have limits to which we are able or want to control our environmental conditions, and these dictate our success to certain degree. IMO, cannabis is not so different than most other things in life, effort dictates results. Minimal effort will yield minimal results, while results will increase with the corresponding effort up to the point of diminishing returns.

The concept of diminishing returns is simply he idea that you can only positively effect a result to a certain point. Once you reach reach that maximum positive effect, any further effort will result in either negligible or negative effects.

This is to say that some people pay too much attention to their plants to the point where they are doing more harm than good and the additional attention is literally killing their plants. Meanwhile others neglect their plants to the point where even the most resilient of plants can’t survive.

The reality is that cannabis like so many other flowering plants will thrive under the right conditions and barely produce or merely survive under less than ideal conditions.

So to come full circle with my my question and my own personal conclusion, does cannabis grow like a weed? Yes, it grows like a weed if you leave it to grow like a weed, and it’ll frustrate you just the same. If you choose to grow cannabis like every other flowering plant, it’ll reward you with the same bountiful harvests that you would expect from your other flowering plants.

Of course, this is all just my own personal speculation based on what I have experienced growing cannabis as well as other flowering plants.
    Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Hey Obi-Wan, wondering the same..so im trying my first outdoor grow in my backyard as organic as possible.(compared to my tent grow with some of the same strains) Now, i do have to cheat a bit, cause my yard is like a deep forest...no sunlight. so i have to move the plants several times a day just to get 8 hrs of direct sunlight. Im working on different options cause their going to get too big to move eventually. Tent plants are well cared for..water/lights/nutes, etc. For the outside grow i used some composted soil from my home composter..all kinds of stuff in there..lol, lots of bugs..bunch of pumpkin seeds..tater sprouts. last grow of coco.etc. I'm going to feed with water and fish poop/algae from my pond. no synthetic nutes. Just out of the gate im gonna throw my money at the outdoor plants..their far ahead of the tent girls.
    Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
    Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
    6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
    Canna Coco/perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Series
    Cal/Mag.

Comment

• homegrown
      homegrown commented
      Editing a comment
      That didnt take long...Soil from my earth composter is heavy in nitrogen. Showing toxicity with tips curling down and a rather deep green color.. Watered it with tap water only..no pond juice..hopefully it'll clear up soon. She's twice the size of her tent sisters though! YAY sunlight!!

Good opinion here. Can’t disagree here.
    This grow I have now in my tent. My presence in the tent is at bare minimal. Because the more I sit in the tent and look at my plants, the more “love” I’m going to give them. And this is not necessarily the best. Too much love can kill them. So I’m only in the tent for watering practices or training practices. And by now I have my best grow ever. Meaning I didn’t apply things that they didn’t need, but I got the right ratio of everything dialed in.
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

Growing schwag may be easy, but growing top shelf bud is not easy. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

My dad did a "grow" once by simply planting a seed in his back yard (straight in ol' mother Earth) and barely watering it. He managed to get a little bud off of it but nothing close to properly grown. On the plus side, it was hardly any work both growing and trimming.
        Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
        Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
        Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

Comment

I planted gorilla style for many years, we went out planted the seed, went back and pulled runts, then males, then harvest. Seen the plants 2 times before harvest, never watered of did any nutes, I always had top shelf bud. When a LEO went through my patch (yes I knew him) he found nothing, I ask him what he was looking down as the plants were 20 feet tall. So yes they do grow like weeds if you let them.

Comment

GoodMorning Obi-Wan ,the nicest plant I have ever seen in my life, came from a volunteer, that came up all by itself in a spot where we always met up in the woods at hunting camp to roll joints, an burn before we went to back to camp, where all the redneck were.
            A real beauty, I wish we had cell phone cameras way back then.
            Our soil is very fertile in our woods.And it certainly grew like a weed, lol
            Have a nice day, an thanks for your help with QuantumBoards. I'm loving mine.
            Cfls for a week or two
            315lec for everything else
            Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
            36x36x63 inch tent.
            6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
            Smart pots
            Molasses
            Autoflowers

Comment

To me it’s more like cannabis in the right environment grows as fast as weeds grow everywhere else. Give it a bad environment and you’ll end up with a tinny never ripening plant

Comment

Hi Obi-Wan, you have shed some light on the ever enigmatic, oft misunderstood weed... I mean flowering plant.

Comment

Let us not forget our lineage - People who had no formal training in growing cannabis. I'm pretty certain there are one or two of us that remember those days. How about the untrue rumors, remember them?

It's just one of the many reasons I'm so grateful for GWE. I'm in the midst of my second grow. My first harvest was autos. It amazes me that I grew GOOD bud, my first time! That most likely would never have happened if i was flying blind. I probably wouldnt have even attempted it.

Knowing a few key tips, like PH management, light options, soil chioces and watering principles has made my crop grow like weeds
                  A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

This is to say that some people pay too much attention to their plants to the point where they are doing more harm than good and the additional attention is literally killing their plants. Meanwhile others neglect their plants to the point where even the most resilient of plants can’t survive.

I love your paragraph - reminds me of people that post with the smallest of problems - like a little curl on one of the 4 leaves they have.

I always want to say it - Don't sweat the small stuff .............let it be and it will grow - mine are growing like weeds right now.
                    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
                    Mars Hydro
                    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

I was always under the impression that they called it weed because it can grow in almost any medium, like a weed. You toss some seeds out the window and a few days later, some plants are growing. I once saw an attic grow room where seeds had fallen into the insulation and it was sprouting out of the cracks of the walls below.
                      I don’t think quality, yield, or speed of growth was ever considered when naming it that. But I really can’t say for sure.
                      Obi-Wan great topic!
                      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
                      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
                      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
                      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
                      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X