Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloning

My clones have been total failures.
    I have cut them off at 45 degree angles at an average of seven inches in length. I have lightly scraped the stems, dipped them in cloning jell and have put them in spring water as well as placing some in peat plugs. I mist them several times daily. They are in my grow tent under a plastic wrap to hold in moisture. The grow tent is currently on a 12/12 schedule at roughly 75 degrees average. They turn brown and dry up within a week or so.

What am I missing?
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Sounds to wet to me, whats your RH? I dont cover mine, but I have at least 60% RH, I do spray a bit, I use a bubble system.

Comment

no mention of 'temp' here

when making clones I set the length of the clone as long as my pen, even knife about 5 inches?
      I also cut them down to look like little tress to reduce the leaf matter exposure

overall IMO if you can't grow grow clones consider building a Bubble cloner its much fun

they are up in running within 10 days if not restart ..

did I say fun?

good luck

avoid clones jello use household honey its antiseptic!

Comment

& 12/12 is to flower. They should be on an 18/6 or close to it.
        Too much misting of the leaves will make them not need to send out roots as well as encourage WPM.
        Spring water after the rooting gel will just wash off the rooting gel.
        Plastic wrap will suffocate a plant just as fast as it will a person.

I would suggest you find the thread "Clone along!" By Woodsman67 There are a lot of proven by experience methods detailed in there. Hang in there- you'll git it!!

Comment

I believe the issue is you have them under your flowering lights/ schedule. Clones don’t need much light at all Just a small cfl on top of them will do. Everything else sounds good. I usually dip my clones in aloe Vera and stick them into rock wool cubes. This last time I dipped them in kelp meal water the roots were insane. Did take about 15 days for the roots to grow out but when they did they blew up.

Comment

It might be the 12/12 light period. Clones root best when given a lot of light then a short dark period when they actually put their roots out. I had my T5s set for 18/6 and close to the cuttings for the last batch I took. I ended up with too many and gave away half of them. I used an aeroponic cloner too. Not a store-bought one, just a small tote that holds the clones in foam circles in the lid and a small pump and a homemade spray manifold inside. The ready-made ones are a bit expensive especially if they are the aeroponic ones - it is so much cheaper to build one if you have the skills.
            Coconut Grove
            4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
            4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
            32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
            Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

This powder is pretty good stuff. Got it at Walmart for $5.
              I cut just below a node at 45°, dip it in tap water, dip it in the powder & stick it in the dirt. Mist the clone lightly & the dome heavily - trim the leaves so they don't touch the dome & cover. Remove the dome periodically for a few days. I have no idea when actual roots show as they are in the dirt but it takes 3-5 days before I can leave the dome off 24/7. Haven't had one fail since I nute & ph burned a bunch way back in October.

Comment

Few issues. Misting several times per day is counterproductive.
                First, spraying clones directly can lead to fungus growth. Second, if the leaves are getting plenty of water, the plant is not pressured into growing roots.
                I use a humidity dome, and mist the dome 1-2 times per day for the first 3 days. Then no more mist.
                also, scraping the stems is counterproductive. More wounds to heal causes extra stress on the clones Plus is a direct route for pathogens to cause infection.
                lastly, if using the spring water technique you need to exchange the water out every so often (stagnant water leads to more pathogens in the water). And if using rock wool or starter plugs, the medium needs to go through a wet-dry cycle. The trick is not letting it get too wet, and not letting it get too dry.
                a small fan making a gentle breeze across the clones might help a bit (must be extremely low volumetric air flow for clones). I use a 4” desk fan on low speed. The leaves shouldn’t “dance” In the breeze quite yet, but the fan will allow fresh air to blow across the plants and medium.
                4x4 600w HID empty for summer
                3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
                2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
                running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X