Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purple stems, droopy leaves

Hi everyone. 1st grow ever.
    Plants are a month and a week old from bag seed.
    growing in FF soil.

They have been under weak led’s and sunlight for most of their life until this week when my packages arrived!

growth has been slow but looking healthy.

This is now day 3 in the new tent. I’m struggling with temps and hum. A bit. But I’m adjusting. temps are down to ~80 and hum. Up to 25-30% ( working on it lol, was 85f & 10%)

5x5x80. 6” exhaust 4” intake. CLW solarxtreme 1000 led.hung to manufacture spec of 38”

18-6 light cycle. Humidifier running all day.

I have noticed the leaves turning much darker green, drooping, and now showing purple stems on fan leaves since they’ve been moved to the tent.

See photos.

how can I help my babies!!

Going red due to the cold no doubt
    I'd pot these up to the next good size
    adding in 25% perlite to dilute those hot soil effects and dry out the roots some
    no nutes for 2 weeks add more perlite if you intent to nute later
    water light and put under a good light
    will make you grin

good luck

ps keep an eye on you temps

Comment

• R0bb3d
      R0bb3d commented
      Editing a comment
      hoping to wait on sex to upsize to 5 gallon.

Added 15% or so of perlite to FF Happy Frog.

Veg Bloom Dirty every couple waterings, added cal mag every 3-4 waterings. Only have been adding Nutes for 2 weeks. Just soil and water for first 3 weeks.

With the temps and new light intensity they have been drinking like crazy and drying up. I’m staying on top of watering but not to the point of over doing it. I’m definitely allowing a good dry up before more water.

Pretty consistent 80f 25% lights on and 65f 40% lights out. Over the last 3 days in new tent setup.

What do you think?

You definitely need a transplant. I would say your temperature is fine but the humidifier may not be necessary. My tents are all around 80F and I'm not running a humidifier in any of them. I think the humidifier may be adding more heat honestly. Try running it for a bit without and check your temps again. It seems to me that as long as you're keeping your plants watered the humidity doesn't seem to matter much. My tent flaps stay open usually when the lights are on so a humidifier would really do me no good anyway.

Comment

Don't worry about the purple stems. Some say it's genetic. Some say it's stress or nutrients. One of my bagseeds is 100% purple fan leaf stems. None of the others have them. If your leaves start giving you issues, diagnose those.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

I'll add when the leaves grow over the side or the starter cup, it is time to up pot them!
        The purple, can be potassium shortage, normal colours for this strain or stress. What was the seed from? that may shed some light on it.

Comment

• R0bb3d
          R0bb3d commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s a batch of bag seed. I was hoping to hold off until I knew the sex but with all the advice I don’t believe I can hold off much longer.

All are telling you to go to the bigger pots.... gotta do that!. Your roots are wearing a size 7 shoe when they really need a 10 at this point 😆

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeard View Post
          Don't worry about the purple stems. Some say it's genetic. Some say it's stress or nutrients. One of my bagseeds is 100% purple fan leaf stems. None of the others have them. If your leaves start giving you issues, diagnose those.
          what exactly do you think this red/purple is being genetic and all..?

Comment

I'm going with all of the above. Here's a purple stemmer. In the second picture, all the light lavender looking new stem growth will be dark purple like the ones in the left picture.
            I've grown 2 bagseed under the same conditions. Lots of other BS but I have 2 in particular.. One went into autumn with purple and yellow and orange leaves. The other one just went yellow. Again, this is the only one of six that has the PS. Maybe more genetic than nutes or stress? Maybe purple is stress and this plant got a little more than it could handle? Different strains have different nute requirements?
            I like them. All that green gets boring.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6

Comment

R0bb3d I know my LED is making my stems purple because of the light, like a sunburn. I have a 900W and I know my plants are not missing anything. And I have read several places it could be sunburn. Mine closer to the lights is purple, those a little more far away don’t have it. All the same strain.
              Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
              You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• dphipps1020
                dphipps1020 commented
                Editing a comment
                Weird, mine are opposite seems like. On mine the purple starts further from the top, on the older growth. Maybe it's the other lights that make it start lower, who knows. I actually feel like the LEDs bring out the colors earlier than other lights, maybe why it's closer to the top? My cheap LEDs seem to bring it out more too. It must be the extra UV and infrared in the full spectrum is my guess and since I have different light types, maybe that's it. I don't really see the purple stems as a problem, do you?

• Farmall
                Farmall commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ve only had purple stems indicate a problem long before the plant developed hermaphroditism. It started as high level stress from UV-B overexposure. But like dphipps1020 says, I never saw it as a problem in a lot of other plants. In fact, I do mostly purple strains...it’s very nice looking for a change. Not like green is boring or anything, but there are some really sweet looking colors out there and I’d love to see them all

• dphipps1020
                dphipps1020 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have actually had purple on pretty much every strain I've grown with no issues. I always put it off as genetics because I've never had issues with growth from that, it's always been something else entirely that wouldn't have anything to do with purple anything.

Everyone, thanks so much for the advice.

I’ve made some changes and have seen a positive improvement.

my intake air was leaking by all night when lights were off giving them a cold.

I also had to raise up the light a good 10” above manufacturers spec because it was too intense for them. I will slowly move it back down.

They started as a window sill project and then with this quarantine Boredom and credit card I now have a decent set up. Much more light then they were getting before.

also transplanted from solo’s to 5 gallon fabric pots!

Thanks again all!!

Comment

• dphipps1020
                dphipps1020 commented
                Editing a comment
                Any time. We're all here to help, no matter the experience. Hope things keep looking better from here. Let us know if you have any other questions, one of the veteran growers can help if us novice/intermediate growers can't. Happy growing!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X