Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I start Quadlining on these plants or are they too early (or too late)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I start Quadlining on these plants or are they too early (or too late)?

Hi, first grow, WW feminized, day 24 out of the ground, 4 plants. I am going to try quadlining and I think these plants are ready to start but, given my experience level (zero) I am interested in others opinion. Photos attached of one of the plants. Thank you for sharing your thoughts....
    Attached Files

hey crunchy,

welcome

i have 4 auto's that are now 22 days old since planting (in hydro).
    i'll also be quadlining mine and i'm almost there... 5th node but it needs to grow a little taller before i top it.

attached a pic of one of them.

I suggest, wait a little longer before topping and removing everything at nodes 1,2 & 3.

good growing!

FDP
    Attached Files
    GreenQube 1.5m x 3.0m x 2.2m tent
    2x CDMH 315W lights
    870m3/hr fan
    8 x 42L DIY DWC buckets, 2 airstones each

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingDutchPaddy View Post
      hey crunchy,

welcome

i have 4 auto's that are now 22 days old since planting (in hydro).
      i'll also be quadlining mine and i'm almost there... 5th node but it needs to grow a little taller before i top it.

attached a pic of one of them.

I suggest, wait a little longer before topping and removing everything at nodes 1,2 & 3.

good growing!

FDP
      Hey Dutch, thanks for the welcome and for sharing your thoughts! Yours is bigger than mine. I also have 5 nodes with the 6th starting. I am guessing you are going to wait until you have 6 established nodes? Also, for quadlining, I am planning on keeping nodes 3 and 4 are you going to keep 4 and 5 ( you say you are going to remove 1, 2 and 3). There is a thread on this forum where mcubed and others are keeping nodes 2 and 3 and there is a "quadsquad" thread on 420magazine forum where they show grows with the 3rd and 4th nodes are kept. I probably will wait at least until I get 6 established nodes as this is what Nebula recommends for manifolding, seems safe. I might take the lower nodes 1 and 2 a little earlier and wait to top until I get an established 6th node. One of the growers in the other mentioned forum suggests taking the lower nodes first and then waiting a day or two before topping, also seems safe. Right now, my 1 and 2 nodes are not growing nearly as quickly as the ones above, I guess they are not getting as much light...?

Thanks again Dutch.

Comment

• FlyingDutchPaddy
        FlyingDutchPaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        i'm waiting until theres a bit of vertical stem above 5th, and then i snip just under the 6th node.
        my window for topping is much shorter than yours as i've got the auto's going.
        i've a thread somewhere about hydro today FDP say... my current grow with those 4 auto's.

keeping a little veritical stem there seems to reinforce the top manifold.

over time (weeks) that little stump will go...

Really you can top wherever you want. Just keep in mind, the lower you cut, the shorter your plant is going to be. I usually top above the 4th node and get rid of 1 and 2. You can also do as was suggested and get rid of 1 and 2 before you top. I believe this is kind of like lollipopping in veg (so to speak), where it will allow the upper nodes to collect the nutrients that would have originally gone to the lower causing the upper nodes to grow faster. Not sure if that's correct or not, but that's my theory.

Comment

Originally posted by dphipps1020 View Post
        Really you can top wherever you want. Just keep in mind, the lower you cut, the shorter your plant is going to be. I usually top above the 4th node and get rid of 1 and 2. You can also do as was suggested and get rid of 1 and 2 before you top. I believe this is kind of like lollipopping in veg (so to speak), where it will allow the upper nodes to collect the nutrients that would have originally gone to the lower causing the upper nodes to grow faster. Not sure if that's correct or not, but that's my theory.
        Hi dphipps1020 , I was just worried about trimming the plant before it could recover quickly. The plant growth rate has really picked up in the last few days so I am thinking it is about ready. I am planning on cutting nodes 1 and 2 (and the cotyledons) tomorrow and then topping above the 4th node a day or two later. I decided to try the quadlining after I read Nebula's information about manifolding and then reading journals and forum posts comparing manifolding to quadlining and it seems that quadlining was generally the winner for yield with similar maintenance. While this growing / plant tending seems to be addictive for me, I started out most interested in the end product. One post suggested quadlining for 4 plants with a 4x4 tent vs manifolding 6 plants in a 4 x 4 tent and since I have already started just 4 plants, here I am. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts .

Comment

Hi, crunchy.
          I use a similar method to dphipps.
          Top at the 4th, leave the 3rd, and then remove lower nodes.
          I'll let the 3rd nodes grow naturally until they hit the first trellis @13".
          I will allow the 4th nodes to grow out a few segments until they form tertiary branches. I then clip those back to the first node. A pair of shoots form. That leaves me with 6 main branches and will completely fill a 2x2 space with flower.
          I just finished jarring a Seedsman Strawberry/Banana. She yielded just over 20oz of dried flower.
          https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZzjdQ6Q4hdiS72qw9
          https://photos.app.goo.gl/FxgTumEZo2s8GdXN7
          WHAT???
          5x5 grow space
          900w of Vero's and F-strips
          4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Topped above five, removed below 3 for a sixline.
            Topped above five. removed below 4 for a quadline. Autos

Comment

Originally posted by gbauto View Post
              Hi, crunchy.
              I use a similar method to dphipps.
              Top at the 4th, leave the 3rd, and then remove lower nodes.
              I'll let the 3rd nodes grow naturally until they hit the first trellis @13".
              I will allow the 4th nodes to grow out a few segments until they form tertiary branches. I then clip those back to the first node. A pair of shoots form. That leaves me with 6 main branches and will completely fill a 2x2 space with flower.
              I just finished jarring a Seedsman Strawberry/Banana. She yielded just over 20oz of dried flower.
              https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZzjdQ6Q4hdiS72qw9
              https://photos.app.goo.gl/FxgTumEZo2s8GdXN7
              Hi gbauto , good details, will try to follow. Wow 20 oz, one plant!!! Guess you will just have to "grow" your consumption rate to match your yield!

Comment

Originally posted by quirk View Post
                Topped above five, removed below 3 for a sixline.
                Topped above five. removed below 4 for a quadline. Autos
                Hi quirk Love the photo of the "sixline", I had not seen one of those before. Did that turn out to give an improved yield compared with a quadline or are you just letting your plant express itself differently?

Comment

I did mine a couple different ways too. A couple I quadlined, left a few extra nodes to grow out and called it a day. Should be 8+ colas on those. One I topped an extra time after the quadline for a total of 8. I mainly did it because it was so much bigger than the others, but also because I want to see which way does better yield wise. Tent is a 4x4' for size reference.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by crunchyfrog View Post

Hi gbauto , good details, will try to follow. Wow 20 oz, one plant!!! Guess you will just have to "grow" your consumption rate to match your yield!
                    Unfortunately, I have that covered.
                    WHAT???
                    5x5 grow space
                    900w of Vero's and F-strips
                    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Originally posted by dphipps1020 View Post
                      I did mine a couple different ways too. A couple I quadlined, left a few extra nodes to grow out and called it a day. Should be 8+ colas on those. One I topped an extra time after the quadline for a total of 8. I mainly did it because it was so much bigger than the others, but also because I want to see which way does better yield wise. Tent is a 4x4' for size reference.
                      Thank you dphipps1020 for taking the time to share the photos, gives me a good idea of what I should aim for when my plants get that far along. I did trim off nodes 1 and 2 this morning, going to see how they look tomorrow before I top above node 4.

Comment

• dphipps1020
                        dphipps1020 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Any time. I feel like pictures help most people to better understand. I know it usually helps me

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X