Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else running a water chiller? I have a question about nutrient changes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else running a water chiller? I have a question about nutrient changes...

Hey GWE community! I recently bought an ActiveAqua 1/10HP water chiller and installed it but I have one question...when doing nutrient changes, how do you flush out the stuff in the actual chiller? Basically it's driven by my pump and once the pump is off, the water stops moving. Well, there is still a good bit of water in the chiller because it was flowing through it when the pump was turned off. I'm basically trying to avoid leftover nutrients going back in to my fresh batch when I do the change. I can't use the pump to drain it because I would end up burning out the pump when it stopped sucking in water. So anyone have any tips?
    Whoever's growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations! You have won a cruise! Report to security to claim your tickets.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ellz GrowCam Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Z...pnwuazYQD6URA/
    Ellz GrowCam Time Lapse Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1nS2a9LvXEdmya

1st Hydro Grow: 600W MH/HPS Homemade Bubbleponics Homemade Cabinet - White Poison (White Widow x Durban Poison) COMPLETE! Final yield: 10.2 ounces off 2 plants. 124 days total from seed (34 days vegetative + 90 days flower)

2nd hydro - Peyote Cookies and OG Kush https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-mh-strain-tbd COMPLETE! Final yield: 11.8 ounces combined, 2.7 ounces of Peyote Cookies (150 days from seed), 9.1 ounces of OG Kush (138 days from seed).

My 4 site, 40 gal UC style system is the same way.
    I can only remove approx.70% of the system volume during dumps.
    It hasn't caused any issues for me.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      What about when flushing at the end?

• gbauto
      gbauto commented
      Editing a comment
      I just dump the system a few times with water until the ec gets below 0.2
      When the run is finished, I mix up some pool shock with water and let that circulate for a few days. Gets everything nice and clean.

I don't use a water chiller but I would say dump a little fresh water in and run it so it kicks out the nutrient water, empty and repeat if necessary.

Comment

• ellz
      ellz commented
      Editing a comment
      I had considered that too. That way even if there is plain pH'ed water left in there, it shouldn't hurt anything.

Exactly. I personally won't really worry about it until the flush but I also have just been topping off the water instead of cleaning it completely. This is the first time for me doing it like this but the plants don't seem to mind one bit whether it's all fresh or if there's a little old water still. They actually seem to be growing better for me than when I was cleaning and doing fresh water. I also don't add pH down when I top off. Reason for that is my pH drops as time goes on. My tap water pH is about 7.5-8 so when I top off it balances out again. Picture of my biggest hydro girl, only issue she has is she wants to touch the light. I keep telling her she'll get burned but she's not listening. It reminds me of how mosquitoes are attracted to bug zappers.
    Attached Files

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X