Staged Harvest Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staged Harvest Opinions

My crop is doing as well as can be expected, from a newbie. I've had issues with what I believe is a slight calmag deficiency. It particularly affected what was supposed to be a AK47 or Northern Light. It was my runt and showing a lot of discoloration. I was going to yank it but was advised to wait and see...and I'm very happy I followed the guidance. That said, I didn't top, fim or lst at all. Now I have a beautiful 23" tall Sativa.

Here's what's going on: The top buds on the main cola appear to be ripe, with cloudy trichomes (as far as I can tell). There are numerous buds below that AREN'T ready and will likely mature with my other three plants.

Doing my due diligence, I know that a staged harvest is feasible. I wish to raise the remaining plant to give the lower buds a chance to grow for at least two more weeks, probably a month. A shout out to the regular forum members, especially Weed Pharma and @alltatup.

If thou were I:

Are my trichomes ready?

Would you cut at the blue line or orange line?

Attached Files
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Any chance you can post a picture of the whole top bud? From that angle it looks like you still have a couple weeks left to me. Still have a lot of white pistils on there from what it looks like to me.

Comment

@dhipps1020 Hopefully, this will give you a better perspective. I certainly don't want to waste ANY bud!
      Attached Files
      A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

Yeah still quite a bit of white. You want most of them, if not all of them, to be an orange or red color. Mine still has a week or 2 left before I feel like it will be ready but here's a picture so you can see the difference.
        Attached Files

Comment

• BR2K
          BR2K commented
          Editing a comment
          GAWD, That's Beautiful! Thanks for the heads up. I'll wait before I do anything...

• dphipps1020
          dphipps1020 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. It's a fairly small bud (or will be when dried) but it is really dense. I actually did a staged harvest like you're talking about on my other one already, cut the tops and left the rest to fatten (13g worth so far). I don't think the first bit was quite there yet but I have quite a bit left to harvest still. Mainly did it because it was close and I almost ran out of my weed and don't feel like going to the dispensary. It's still good but I think it could have been a little better. Next harvests will give me a lot more for sure so if I can just hold out for about a month with the 2 that are almost done I should have a few more ounces.

Yep i'd wait and cut a bud when you feel it's looking good to you put a jewelers loupe to it and try and look cause your closer LOL
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

It's not unusual to do staged harvests. If sections of the colas are ready but the lowers aren't, then top them and reset the light level(raise the pot or lower the light). That will allow the lower to mature and fill out.
          WHAT???
          5x5 grow space
          900w of Vero's and F-strips
          4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

You guys are AWESOME!! I just got my first jeweler's loop Friday and have been practicing. I trust your judgement better than mine and will wait a few more weeks. Since my Ichi-Bon (Number One) plant is actually taller than the Sativa, I'll put it on a couple of small cases to raise it after I cut the first stage. Unlike dphipps1020, I ran out of weed last September. A little while longer certainly won't kill me. Thanks all!!!
            Last edited by BR2K; 04-27-2020, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Yeah mine wasn't quite ready but it was close. Decided to play with my digital microscope a little and see if I could get a decent picture. Not terrible but not great either.
              Attached Files

Comment

• BR2K
                BR2K commented
                Editing a comment
                I know a digital microscope is in my future. I just don't know when.

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a great shot dphipps1020

• dphipps1020
                dphipps1020 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you. Took me a while to find the sweet spot for distance and magnification, and then the lighting. Originally I thought my microscope was crap, turns out it's not so bad after all.

So, this is definitely a learning experience for me. I've cut five buds off of two plants so far. I just put two in jars for curing, after drying three days. I wasn't going to cut any more but I discovered one of my buds was getting burned by the light. I pulled my Royal Cheese auto from the back and discovered a goodly number amber trichomes on the two top buds - chop chop. Now, were talkin' a few measly grams (I'm guessing 10 - 15 by the time they're dried) but I am STOKED!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X