Help choose new light plz.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Help choose new light plz.

So I got my second grow started and I wanted to use a better light! the first time around I used 2 300w viparspectar leds and my final weight was 175g I know a lot of other things come into play like temp and humidity and things like that but I know if I got a better light I could get better results so my question for you guys would be what kind of light should I get if I wanted to expect to get back about a Pound or better in a 4x4 tent?

You’ve got a solid setup for lighting with the two Vipars. I’ve come to the conclusion that HPS are the way to go for massive flowers. There’s a reason many commercial growers still use them.
    Current Grow:
    • Amnesia Auto Fem (Advanced Seeds) (1 gal contestant)
    • NYC Diesel (Advanced Seeds)
    • Strawberry Cheesecake (Seedsman)
    ​​​​Nutrients
    • Dr. Earth Organic dry amendments
    • Bloom City Organic- Foilar Spray, Cal Mag, Silica Boost, and Root Stimulator
    • Incredible Bulk Organic Bloom Booster
    • Dr. Earth Golden Bloom Organic Flower Enhancer
    • Black Strap Molasses
    • Mega Crop all purpose nutrients
    • Flower Fuel bloom booster

Comment

• Greenlivin
      Greenlivin commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds like a solid plan.

If you can only dim it to 600w, you'll want to be cautious putting a plant under it too soon (I would think). 600w would probably fry a young plant if put in too early. Take that with a grain of pepper though. I've not grown with HPS yet- only extensively researched it.

So if it were me, I would use the Vipars for seedling/veg and then throw the plants under HPS during the first week of flower. OR..... you could pick a CMH bulb since you'll have the setup, and use that during veg.

• Blowinnheavy420
      Blowinnheavy420 commented
      Editing a comment
      That was definitely the plan I figured 600w hps would be overkill for veg as I have no problem really with vegging with these lights they actually work really well for veg but in flower only the tops get real fat and hard and that’s about it all the rest was just airy buds but weren’t bad tho just want to improve things and I think an hps would do me justice for getting better quality buds and more final weight! Thanks again green livin!! Highly appreciate it.

• Greenlivin
      Greenlivin commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you buddy. It’s definitely a hobby where you can go down the rabbit hole trying to do better each time. Lol. I’m always looking for ways to improve... whether it be lights, nutrients, training, soil, etc...

However, I read something recently that hit home- As long as you have a good strain, you can get good results with an average light. Unfortunately, great lights can’t fix bad genetics though.

My experience is that a 4x4 will need at least 500 watts of actual power consumed using current tech diodes(like QB's or light strips).
    That number increases by 50% when using low tech mono's like those in your Vipars. The efficiency difference is that great.
    I've grown dank with blurples-just nowhere close to the amount that I can produce with the same wattage.
    If you can handle the additional thermal load from HPS or CMH, they are better options than your Vipars
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

ive been able to pull a pound with 3 plants last 3 grows with a 4x4 foot print and HLG 480 QB just sayin
      3' x 6' Grow Closet for Veg w/HLG 300 V2 Bspec
      New 5' x 9' x 7'11" Gorilla Tent for flowering with new Optic Slim 600H
      Flora Trio w/Cali and Hydro guard
      5 gallon Bucket DWC and bucket scrog set up

Comment

Hello everybody! Im a new member around here and I need some help to choose which Quantum Board to get for my grow.

I dont want to create a new topic since I found this one with a similar question to mine.

I came across 2 options of Quantum Boards during my research and I like these 2 a lot:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...2f732fc2adPiZG <- Its a 240w Quantum Board LM301H. With some CREE XPE2 (660nm and 730nm) + LG UV which works apart with a switch from the main light source

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...71f67a31jz3uf0 <- Also a 240w Quantum Board LM301H. Except that it doesnt have the Cree and UV lights, only a 660nm Epistar that turns on at the same time as the main light source

So my questions here are... are the CREE and UV a big differencial? Is the amount on that board enough to make a difference? Is it possible to create an Emerson Effect with that light since the Cree 660nm + 730nm + LG UV are turned on by the same switch?

On the other board the epistar 660nm is always on along with the main light source, is that a problem to have that red light going all the time?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Comment

• gbauto
        gbauto commented
        Editing a comment
        Having added 660nm mono's will help flowering. I tend to use a 3500k white led in conjunction with the 660's and it will grow fine smoke. I haven't seen any sphere data on any difference between the Cree and Epistar but the Cree may be more efficient? UV has its place but I would want to be able to control WHEN it's used.
        P.S.-UV diodes are quite weak in output compared to fluorescent UV lamps, so if I was seriously considering adding UV to my spectrum pallet I would seriously look at reptile bulbs instead of 50mW diodes.
        Last edited by gbauto; 04-16-2020, 10:18 AM.

• heyholetsgrow
        heyholetsgrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks a lot for your response gbauto.

From what I know the CREE apparently has more quality of product but not sure if it makes that much of a difference from an Epistar when used.

Well there are few more doubts here... the company is OUT of switches on the Quantum Boards at the moment, that means the main source light and the CREE reds + UV would be ON all the time together, from what I know that is a problem, right? Since UV has to be given only in the final stages of flowering. like you said (be able to control when its used)? What about having the 2 reds (660nm + 730nm) working all the time with the main source light? Could it be a problem?

Cause I thought I could maybe cover the UVs with some black tape and keep the other reds ON if I cant turn them off separatedly. But not sure how that would work out... Sorry for asking that much!

Thanks a lot!
        Last edited by heyholetsgrow; 04-16-2020, 10:34 AM.

• heyholetsgrow
        heyholetsgrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh ok! Just saw your edit with extra info.

Im considering purchasing the cheaper one with just the 660nm Epistar and later perhaps add an separate UV system like you said, would probably work way better.

Should I go for 3500k or 3000k? I know the 3500k is more balanced for all the stages but I considering purchasing maybe 3000k for now and later 4000k or higher to use only for veg and keep the 3000k only for flowering
        Last edited by heyholetsgrow; 04-16-2020, 11:04 AM.

I have a 3500K w/epistar 660's 480-watt fixture that I use in my pheno tent. I chose the 3500k over the 3000k because I wanted a bit more blue spectrum to balance the additional red from the 660's. It works really well from seed to flower.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X