Carbon Filter Lifespan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Filter Lifespan

I've been using a carbon filter on my exhaust for my tent for about 3 months. While I was outside today, I noticed the smell was so inconspicuous. Is 3 months about how long the filters last?
    4x4x6.5 tent, (2) 18"x46" LED Strip Fixtures 440w?? ๐Ÿ™ƒ (2) Solacure UVB T8s, Infinity T6 fan, (4) 5gal DWC res.
    GH Trio, Calimagic, LKB, Armor Si, Sweet, Hydroguard, GH pH

First.Grow
    Second.Growโ€‹โ€‹
    PC.Grow
    Grow.3
    4th.Grow
    I used to smoke pot. I still do, but I used to too.

I guess that depends on how much you grow. I see we have the same filter and I am on my third grow with it but I only grow 2 plants at a time.

Comment

Texasbob Good point, I have 8 plants in 5 gal buckets and 2 in solo cups. It's a full tent lol. I was hoping to have it last the whole grow and then some but maybe that won't be the case.
      4x4x6.5 tent, (2) 18"x46" LED Strip Fixtures 440w?? ๐Ÿ™ƒ (2) Solacure UVB T8s, Infinity T6 fan, (4) 5gal DWC res.

First.Grow
      Second.Growโ€‹โ€‹
      PC.Grow
      Grow.3
      4th.Grow

Comment

My smells the back yard up if I leave the door open for the grow box, just does not pull enough air in. Going to a 8 inch next year and a little better design. But to your question, mine has been in place for a year and still clears the smell well.
        Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
        A tale of two seeds
        Batter Up Sour Deisel
        Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
        New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
        Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

RagWeedDWC interesting, what brand filter are you currently using? My filter is still somewhat clearing the odor it's just an unusual smell, hard to describe. It smells like bud as much as it doesn't smell anything like bud. It's not overwhelming, but where I'm venting is close to my property line and I'm sure this is potential for my neighbors to get a whiff. I was thinking about just sticking a box of dryer sheets in there for the time being until I get a new filter, a nice floral scent lol. Maybe I can hold out through to the end of the month, hoping to harvest the last week of April but we'll see what my plants say. My neighbors could be stoners too idk them too well , they seem cool enough but I'd hate to be wrong.

First.Grow
          Second.Growโ€‹โ€‹
          PC.Grow
          Grow.3
          4th.Grow

Comment

I've gotten 4yrs on a Phresh Filter 6" x 16". Running either 4 or 6 plants three times a year.
          Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

• NickyChicks
            NickyChicks commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll check it out ๐Ÿ‘

Air flow, hours of operation, and how much physical crap is being filtered out of the air will all be determining factors. I have seen mine last 2 years before any issues occurred with smell. Your environment will be the biggest influence.
          4x4 600w HID empty for summer
          3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
          2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
          running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• NickyChicks
            NickyChicks commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah my fan runs 24/7, it's also in my basement so I'm sure there's plenty of particles of junk being filtered.

For my first grow and start of second i had tried 2 different 4" combos and neither were up to the task. Ok during veg but once flowering started...ahhh no. Halfway thru last grow i bought a 6" fusion breath fan and opted for the freakin massive extra large filter..lol. I'm starting to think that having a filter, with a higher CFM rating than the fan itself, is why its working so good(i cant overload the filter even on full blast). Im in my basement about 15' from 4 plants ripe for harvest and i cant smell um. I run my fan/filter outside of my tent just to be clear...no room inside.
          Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
          Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
          6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
          Canna Coco/perlite
          General Hydroponics Flora Series
          Cal/Mag.

Tent
          Bruce Banner
          Kushy Kush
          2Cookies and cream

Comment

• NickyChicks
            NickyChicks commented
            Editing a comment
            Chances are that will be the move, bigger filter than necessary.

interesting question, and made me think about my setup.

my new (few months in) tent has an extractor fan rated for 870m3/hr, the carbon filter is rated for 1080m3/hr.
          so far, no smells and i've completed 4 grows so far.
          GreenQube 1.5m x 3.0m x 2.2m tent
          2x CDMH 315W lights
          870m3/hr fan
          8 x 42L DIY DWC buckets, 2 airstones each

Comment

• NickyChicks
            NickyChicks commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like that's the way to go, larger filter. I got my fan and filter in a package deal. Vivosun makes some decent stuff but a lot of it is inexpensive which makes me wonder if it's quality + environment. I'm sure both are factors.

Well for now I put a box of dryer sheets with a bunch of pinholes in it right into the ductwork. Nostalgic feeling, brings me back to being a teen smoking pot with my buddy and blowing it through a toilet paper roll stuffed with dryer sheets to mask the smell ๐Ÿ˜‚. Hopefully I can make it work until harvest. I'll probably buy a new filter before flowering of my next grow unless it really starts to smell before then.

First.Grow
          Second.Growโ€‹โ€‹
          PC.Grow
          Grow.3
          4th.Grow

Comment

Update.... Ended up buying an 8" filter rated for 710cfm definitely overkill for my setup. Still have some smell outside, not terrible but the box of dryer sheets at the end of the exhaust basically sitting in the window helps disguise it a little. I'm thinking the issue is my setup. The air flows through the filter and that air passes through the light hood, through the fan and then out the vent hose. I thinking the fan is sucking unfiltered air through the light hood because is not air tight by any means and I have a full 4x4 tent. I think if I had an inline filter between the light and fan I could resolve this. However I just ordered all the components to build (2) 2x4 LED strip fixtures and my filter will end up being directly attached to the fan when I start using that light because I won't need to cool the light via the exhaust fan.

First.Grow
            Second.Growโ€‹โ€‹
            PC.Grow
            Grow.3
            4th.Grow

Comment

• Toker1
              Toker1 commented
              Editing a comment
              I run separate lines for my filter exhaust and my hood exhaust. Only time I kinda catch a hint of smell is at the way end of flowering a stinky strain. The average smellers donโ€™t catch a hint with the separate exhaust set up.

• RagWeedDWC
              RagWeedDWC commented
              Editing a comment
              I solved this by first mounting the carbon filter on the exhaust side of my grow box and put a small screen filter at the front. The fan sucks all the air out, and pushes it thru the filter instead of pulling. I would send a pick but its boxed in above my grow space, will when I rebuild next year. I will add a second one at the begging next year also.

• NickyChicks
              NickyChicks commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah ultimately if I just put the filter at the end of the hose, problem solved. Considering how stinky my plants are right now, the smell is basically non existent outside. I'll see how it goes next time around with my new setup

Sounds like that may be the issue - air suction after the filter, before the fan.

have you a picture of how it fits together?

i show you my exhaust setup as example:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	extract fan - Copy.jpg
Views:	1682
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	396977

could you use heat resistant tape (or something else heat resistant) to try seal the air gaps between light & hood?
            GreenQube 1.5m x 3.0m x 2.2m tent
            2x CDMH 315W lights
            870m3/hr fan
            8 x 42L DIY DWC buckets, 2 airstones each

Comment

At this point so close to harvest and the smell is quite faint, I'm not overly concerned. I don't want to risk possibly damaging my plants in the process of trying to seal the light. Given I get all of my parts, I should have my new lights running next month.

First.Grow
              Second.Growโ€‹โ€‹
              PC.Grow
              Grow.3
              4th.Grow

Comment

• Toker1
                Toker1 commented
                Editing a comment
                You can also place that centrifugal fan outside of the grow tent to minimize heat inside.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X