possible root damage while transplanting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible root damage while transplanting

Hey all. So I have a question for everyone, I transplanted 2 of my girls today and 1 wasn't quite wet enough when I pulled it out and of course half of the soil fell apart in my hand.I'm not sure if it took any root damage or not , The plant is three weeks old. I thought about putting a dome over it like I do for clones until the plant recovers or I see there was no damage done. Good idea or bad?

I tear the bottom off the rootball when I transplant. Outside of the occasional mild shock it's like supercropping below ground.

Comment

Really?! I had no idea that was a thing. So do you think I should just leave it for now and see what happens and i guess if it is starting to wilt I could always try and re-root it if its not too far gone?

Comment

Trimming roots is a common practice among those other types of gardeners. You know, tomatoes and cucumbers?
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

I'd just plant it- hold it so the loose roots stay pointing down as you fill the pot & then water it in.

Comment

thats pretty much what i did. thank you

Comment

im going to be reading up on this root trimming business.

Comment

Idk if it's anywhere to read- just something I observed & learned from years as a nurseryman.

Comment

• JDU
                  JDU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh I didn't see your post Gingerbeard I guess it makes sense that others would make the same discovery.

I like Voodoo Juice when transplanting, it helps new root growth.

Comment

If it helps any, I've replaced the soil completely without issues when transplanting. My friend gave me some clones a while back with some worthless soil in it (he was adding nutrients), so I decided to transplant into good soil. I knocked off as much of the soil from the roots as I could, held her steady and filled the pots around the roots gently packing it as I went. This was my first time trying anything like that so I was a little worried. Plants had a day or 2 being in shock but thrived afterwards. I'd say as long as you don't break too many of the roots you should be fine.

Comment

• Rwise
                    Rwise commented
                    Editing a comment
                    LOL I pulled 1 last year and replanted it, after a few days it was off and growing. they are hardy!

super helpful thanks guys. She survived the night so I'm in the clear now I can have a nap I was up so many times checking on her for signs of wilting lol

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X