No announcement yet.

Grow journal for a n00b (First grow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello dude, i'm no expert on growing. I have had two successful grows, i my mind, lol. I'm now on day 10 of my first attempt with autos. one northern lights, one gelato og. I did a lot of reading on autos before a started the grow, and the general consensus is, because autos grow so fast, they don't respond well to stress. the general recommendation for beginners like us, is, do not transplant, plant directly into the pot you intend to grow them in, do not top, you can do LST, and no nutes for the first 2 weeks, then start at 1/4 strength. yields from autos greatly vary, from as little as 1/2 oz to 6 oz, with the average being around 2oz. that's my goal! I planted mine directly in 3gal. pot, soil, 60% happy frog, 40% perlite. so far only water, ph 6.5. FYI, white vinegar works just as well as PH Down.

Comment

• JohnEmad
      JohnEmad commented
      Editing a comment
      Though vinegar can be used to lower ph it is not the best choice as he solution tends to raise back up in ph fairly fast. the ph swings can adversely effect the plants causing stress. Obtaining some ph down is probably the better way to go.

• starramus
      starramus commented
      Editing a comment
      Since my town water is highly alkaline I get the quart size bottle of pH down. A quart will last through a number of grows. https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydro...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== Not as cheap as vinegar, but affords a more stable pH.

3/22/20 DAY 13, take 2.
    Well I stopped panicking and smoked a little and ran into town. When I got there, the grow shop was closed due to covid. "By appointment only". So I called the number on the door and told them what was going on and in like 5 minutes they had somebody come out and let me in, which is awesome service.
    They didn't really have what I want so I picked up a cheap 2-lamp t5 rig, which will have to work till the new CMH (Hey this one comes with a warranty at least) arrives on thursday. Chalk it up to a cloudy week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WDnxoWR.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	386738Click image for larger version

Name:	Sw392vq.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	386739 Bumped up to ~1/2 strength nutes for today's feeding.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      I swear just happens at the worst of times doen't it?? I had a driver on and LED loose the bloom portion during a snowstorm last winter 2019. I was scrambling rigging up stuff also. We could'nt get off our road for 4days. I just want to forget it LOL

3/23/20
    Day 14

Name:	E61L7ei.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	386940Click image for larger version

Name:	Az2EKnA.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	386941

Comment

3/24/20
      Day 15

Seems growth has slowed, but maybe I'm just thinking that because of the light situation. Feeding day today. New light is still 2 days out. I plugged the old one in again now that my sinuses are clearer and it definitely smells very faintly like a bad ballast. This still pisses me off; I'm not usually the guy that goes for the cheapest available, but I sure hosed myself buying this no-warranty crap. At least now I have ammo for the next time my wife tells me I have expensive taste

Name:	yCZTi22.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	387312Click image for larger version

Name:	JoJl2sa.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	387313

Comment

• DodgeViper
        DodgeViper commented
        Editing a comment
        True, cheap stuff often backfires.
        For optimal growth, you should transplant in the next few days.
        Be careful, coco coir doesn't stick together as good as soil.

3/25/20
      Day 16
      Roots are growing out of the holes in the bottom of the cups now. I've never transplanted anything before but I'm going to learn as soon as my new CMH shows up tomorrow. Gotta run by the grow shop tonight for drain pans and risers for my fabpots. We are under a 'shelter in place' order as of this morning, but the fine folks at my local shop are taking orders on the phone and running stuff out to the parking lot.

Name:	KAfgxt0.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	387663Click image for larger version

Name:	yQhi8A2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	387664

Comment

I've never rushed out of Solo cups. I cut big enough holes around the bottom that it prunes the roots and they don't circle. Just have to know how to feed because they use the 60/40 soil perlite mix really fast then it's on you to keep em alive. I have some yellowing because I haven't Fed half of the plants, just water to see the effects, well they all got fed today strong n and low n depending. First 4 way lst today.
      Vegging 4 aurora indica, waiting on seeds. Got eyes on a 4x8x8 tent.
      sp150x2 philz330 and Philz 100x2
      4 plants currently under 500w
      2 x opulent systems 4x4x80 tents and a 24x40x48 baby box.
      GH full line of nutes+calmag and my molasses sugar brown sugar liquid mix at 30ml per liter.
      Happy growing/consuming 🥴
      Space is at a premium when you're growing premium in space 😁

Comment

3/25/20
        Day 16, part 2

The new CMH came in a day early, so I went ahead and transplanted tonight. Definitely didn't wait too long, there were a few roots visible on the outside, but not a lot. Transplanted into 2 gallon fabpots. I kind of wish I had gone with larger pots, but hey- next time. Pre-soaked the coco with some cal-mag water. Tomorrow is regular feeding day. Cranked up the dehumidifier a notch; wanna get it below 60. This is mold country.

Name:	7Y9CV9W.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	387978Click image for larger version

Name:	GKWNSnr.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	3.13 MB
ID:	387979

Comment

3/26/20
          Day 17. The girls look happy in their new pots. They get fed this afternoon. Tent is just above 70f degrees and just below 60%RH. Really starting to look like something.

Name:	Jzd3izP.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	388095

Comment

• JohnEmad
            JohnEmad commented
            Editing a comment
            looking real happy. Now is the time they start to take off. Roots go deeper/wider and then wow.

3/27/20
          Day 18
          I think they like their new pots. They were looking a little sad last night before I fed them (maybe I should have transplanted on feeding day instead of in between?) but they're all bright and perky this morning.
          I have a space heater outside of the tent, and a dehumidifier in the next room. Temp this morning was slightly above 70 and RH is around 55ish. I'm already thinking about the next grow. Thinking of doing photos next time.

Name:	pQnLvUM.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	3.31 MB
ID:	388552Click image for larger version

Name:	OgtnK1g.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	3.99 MB
ID:	388553

Comment

Hi dude, i'l always thinking about the next grow, lol. my girls are on day 15, the northern lights is really growing fast, while the gelet og, is short and bushy. I have only given them water so far, but going to give them some 1/4 strength nutes, next watering, and see how they react.
            happy growing!

Comment

Well I fucked up again yesterday, went out to $General and picked up a cheap oscillating fan. The base takes up a quarter of the tent and the fan head hits the lights. WTF was I even thinking? So the kids got a new fan and I have clip-ons on the way. I think it's feeding day this afternoon. Good thing I have this journal to remind me. In other news, I'm down in the back and only have one nug left to last till thursday.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome to my world of lack of bud LOL but your on your way now, autos are great for speed. Easy on the food and training first go. You'll get there and they look good in their new homes.

3/30/20
              Day 21

Name:	G7Q8TzE.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	389862Click image for larger version

Name:	PmIJohb.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	389863

Comment

Looking real good - love the color - smart person you are not crowding your tent being a first time. I sure crowded my grow area first time. And if you look at some other noobies that are posting - some peoples grow areas are packed well to wall.

Keep doing what you're doing cuz they are gonna be good.
                ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
                Mars Hydro
                Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

4/1/20
                  Day 23

I've been in a fog of pain and diazepam the last few days, but no I didn't abandon the grow or the journal, so here we are on day 23 in the morning. The girls get fed this afternoon. Raised my lights just a little. RH just above 60, so cranked up the dehumidifier another notch. Might have to move it into the tent room to keep it under control, and maybe move my dechlorinating buckets idk. Been training the wife on my care process since I'm down in the back. Is it time to start training the plants? I feel like it might be time.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	56PDIrj.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.68 MB ID:	390559Click image for larger version  Name:	fC9DNq9.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.50 MB ID:	390560Click image for larger version  Name:	r5c2MSg.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.79 MB ID:	390561
                  Last edited by dudeQuixote; 04-01-2020, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• dudeQuixote
                    dudeQuixote commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Think I'm gonna start LST tonight. As a first timer, I'm thinking I probably shouldn't fuck with topping my autos at this point, would you agree? Maybe I'll try one of the 5...

• swegrow
                    swegrow commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Topped my autos at node 4 or 5, turned out great and bushy! Try it on a few I think it will work great. Good and healthy looking plants!

Hey man your plants look really good. Do what you feel comfortable doing and LST is a easy no stress method to allow those branches to stand up. Support the main stalk on opposite side of where you pull it down, do it gentle so not to uproot you can do this, take care
                  Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                  indoor/outdoor grower
                  1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                  1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                  I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                  Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                  Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                  Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X