Grow journal for a n00b (First grow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grow journal for a n00b (First grow)

I planted 5 Northern Lights autofem in rapid rooters, in an egg carton, in my bathroom with the heat on, 3/9/20.
    Gave them soft LED lighting for a couple days before I put them in coco, in solo cups, with 1/4 strength nutes (Cal-mag & Canna Coco A&B) on 3/12/20, and put them under the 315CMH.

They shot right up and turned upwards when they got the nutes and the light. Couple of them look a little droopy? We'll see. They get fed this afternoon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	qm1wcnt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	384657

good start. welcome to the GWE Forum dudeQuixote.

Comment

3/16/20, day 7.
      Feeding again. The water I mixed up a few days ago has crept up to 7.5+ph. I don't have PH adjuster till payday so it'll have to do until the next feeding.
      Runoff ph'd around 6.5.
      Lowered light hood to ~24" above seedlings

Pic: 3/17/20 ~0600- they've definitely perked up since yesterday, no more drooping. This makes me happy.=-)
      I also see that the "real" leaves have grown overnight and are now bigger than the seedleaves.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	gu5z4DL.jpg Views:	4 Size:	2.33 MB ID:	384972
      Last edited by dudeQuixote; 03-17-2020, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• NickyChicks
        NickyChicks commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome to GWE, I too am a noob! I believe you could use vinegar temporarily to substitute pH down, I ended up buying a gallon of pH down because I went through my first small bottle so fast.

• Brown
        Brown commented
        Editing a comment
        Lemon juice also works well!

NickyChicks , when you run through your gallon, give these citric crystals a shot. They stabilize well
      and a little goes a long way. Great looking seedlings dudeQuixote .

Comment

• NickyChicks
        NickyChicks commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting, will do!

3/17/20- added enough coco to cover the rapid rooters, and lowered light again per advice from r/growmo

pic: 3/18/20 5 happy little babies enjoying the tanning booth.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	JkVWzl9.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	385379

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking good so far. You do have at least a hole in bottom of those cups or stick a knife through them couple times? I'm thinking you did but had to ask cause I don't see any.

• dudeQuixote
        dudeQuixote commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah there's six holes around the edges of each cup. Think I might poke another one or two in the middle.

3/18/20- Got my PH adjuster, slightly strengthened nutes (~1/3 strength), watered. Reduced dark hours from 6 to 4.
      Gonna have to do something to more easily drain the pan in the future.

pic: 3/19/20 Good morning, ladies.

Name:	52ytYPJ.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	385677

Comment

You can't go wrong with good old Northern Lights, she's still one of the best.

Comment

3/20/20: Day 11
          These girls sure are purty.
          They are on a 20/4 light schedule. Should I wait a few more days before going 24/0? Or do it now? Or just leave it? So many decisions!

Click image for larger version  Name:	yXzX2UI.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.48 MB ID:	385989Click image for larger version  Name:	b6cBeQH.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.65 MB ID:	385990Click image for larger version  Name:	huZT862.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.69 MB ID:	385991

Comment

I have run my autos straight from sprouting on 20/4 light schedule but make sure my lights are high enough not to stress the seedlings at first.

Comment

I've not done autos in that time frame but sure would work. That guy JohnEmad he knows his shit with autos
              Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
              indoor/outdoor grower
              1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
              Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
              Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• JohnEmad
                JohnEmad commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the vote of confidence SoOrbudgal. I just see what others have done successfully and copied their methods. It works so no new inventions for me.
                some people love the 24/0, some 20/4 or even 18/6 for autos so they all seem to work and it comes down to your personal preference.

Well, they're doing pretty well I think right now, and I am a noob, and I've heard 24/0 is more stressful for them so I think I'mma just leave it.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                When I do run autos I've only done them on 18/6 cause I usually throw in a photo or 2 with them.

• Canuck147
                Canuck147 commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm with the Oregon budgal - 18/6 - saves on the light.

• JohnEmad
                JohnEmad commented
                Editing a comment
                Canuck is the accomplished Auto grower here so I may try that schedule with my next grow. Always good to save a bit of electricity.

3/21/20
              Day 12, they get bigger every time I look at them. Got a thermometer/hygrometer in there now, and I don't think I'm going to have trouble with humidity. I'm growing in a leaky basement, with an airstone in a bucket in the grow room, and a dehumidifier in the next room. Current humidity is around 45% in the tent. Could move the bucket into the tent if needed.
              Finally got my exhaust hooked up and running. Currently venting into the room, will hook it up to the old dryer vent in a few weeks I imagine, when it gets warmer, or when they become too fragrant for the house. They got fed last night, and here they are looking proud and beautiful this morning.

Name:	7bvBEUk.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	386256Click image for larger version

Name:	nmNUGHr.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	386257

Comment

• JohnEmad
                JohnEmad commented
                Editing a comment
                healthy girls dQ. almost ready for transplant.

• dudeQuixote
                dudeQuixote commented
                Editing a comment
                Really? I thought I had at least another week or two. I still have to get stands and drain pans for my fabpots.

• JohnEmad
                JohnEmad commented
                Editing a comment
                I find my plants have roots curling around the bottom of the cup when the leaves are starting to stretch past the outside of the cup but waiting a little longer is not a bad thing.

Yes what JohnEmad said, It's easier to transplant with a little root bound. You got time. Keep up the good work

indoor/outdoor grower
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to

Comment

• FunkyButtLovin
                FunkyButtLovin commented
                Editing a comment
                I prefer to keep them in the cup a bit longer as well to help keep everything together during transplant and it seems to reduce the chance of transplant shock. I also start watering them from the bottom after 10-12 days to encourage the roots to grow downward. I've had some that I only watered from the top and didn't quite water enough each time and I ended up with a root cake that was only about half of the cup. If the soil isn't moist, roots won't grow into it.

Good point about the watering @FunkyButtLovin

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

Day 13
                3/22/20
                No lights.Don't know it's the lamp or the ballast but I know it's gonna cost me at least 60$ to find out and I'll be lucky if anybody in town has them.
                Then when I get home with the lamp and find out it's the ballast I get to figure out how to come up with money for a replacement setup before this crop goes in the compost pile.
                Pretty fucking bummed. Feeling like growing weed is gonna be a rich man's hobby. Fuck Topolite.

Name:	5BtTMY1.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	386561Click image for larger version

Name:	MLyxKQp.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	386562
                Last edited by dudeQuixote; 03-22-2020, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• DodgeViper
                  DodgeViper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hope it is bulb, not a ballast. If it's ballast, you get replacement under warranty. Never had that problem - I'm wondering how long these youngins can last without lights?

• dudeQuixote
                  dudeQuixote commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well they're back in the damn bathroom under 9 lights- a mix of cfl and led, until the grow shop opens. I'm beyond pissed. 164$ for 2 weeks of light. Return window closed YESTERDAY.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X