drying racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drying racks

I’m about to harvest two plants... do you recommend using a drying rack? Should I trim after they are dry? Thank you!!

I actually bought a drying rack in preparation for a harvest a few grows back. For me, wet trimming was a lot easier at the time of chop. When they dry, In my experience, the leaves curl inward making it more troublesome to cut out that growth as everything is getting crispy and less flexible.

additionally, D.A.A.S.69 explained this paper bag technique for drying buds. I followed it as described and had EXCELLENT results. Placed them all in jars 6 days later and burped them for 6 weeks. In the end, I never used the drying rack.

so, what is the paper bag thing? Trim up your bud, place a single layer into the brown paper grocery bags... close the top , I used a clothes bin or some binder clips and then 2-3 times a day, gently GENTLY toss the contents of the bag so they do not flat spot. After 5-6 days feel the moisture content or check with those mini hygrometers. 65% or so, jar them up. If you can suspend the bags on a clothes hanger or other thought, do so to allow air around all sides
    Last edited by Farmall; 02-18-2020, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Wow!! I’ve never heard of that paper bag drying technique... I’ll have to try that. Of course, I’ll have to hide the bags from the cats. Thank you so much for the info Farmall!!

Comment

No trim (it’s typically dry RH over by me). Buds still on branches. I stick them on a drying rack. 50-60% RH 60-68F. They get crispy on the outside and I stick them in brown paper bags with tops folded closed. Buds moisten back up again and I open the bags again or stick them back on the drying rack. This step may need to be repeated. Once inside the folded bags, if they don’t moisten back up, I cut the buds from the branches and stick them into jars. I watch the RH with a digital Rh meter inside the jar. If it goes over 68-69% I dump out the jar and continue to dry. Eventually you will get a stable RH inside the jar and burp/cure for the first month. After 2-3 months, at least, you will have some nice smooth smoke with top quality flavor. Just keep storage temps below 68F for best results. Lastly, I trim the buds to smokable flower. I take my time on this step only trimming an Oz or two per day until it’s all ready.
        4x4 600w HID empty for summer
        3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
        2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
        running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Toker1, thank you for sharing your system....!!

Comment

I do mine much like Toker1 with a few variations. I may pull the plant and hang it upside down for 3 - 5 days, same crispy outside. Then its chop and off to boxes lined with a cut paper bag until stabilized, then to jars. Boxes or jars may be opened, jars may be dumped if they get to moist. I dont trim until I am ready to smoke it, the repetitive actions kill my back. I dont use any fancy gauges, everything is done by feel. (Cool and dark, ~60% RH) Burp and age at least 2 months (IF I can stay out of it)

Comment

Lol. Doesn’t need to be “fancy”. These meters (link below) cost $2 or so. Besides touching the Buds over and over during the drying process lowers the potency and trep content. I recommend touching them as little as possible during this time.

Last edited by Toker1; 02-19-2020, 10:32 AM.
              4x4 600w HID empty for summer
              3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
              2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
              running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

A bud recommended to me to use cardboard moving boxes. Run string through the top to create a hanger line for the colas, and one home top and bottom (opposite sides) for airflow. Cheap and effective drying boxes, which is much easier to control than a full room. Worked for me, folded up the boxes (string still tied off) and ready for the end of this season.
                Meesta's Grow
                2019 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-meesta-s-grow

2020 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ta-s-2020-grow

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X