New Grow Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Grow Room

Good morning folks, We have a room that is 9'x12' with 8' ceiling. The wife gave the ok to grow in there . I have grown everything in a 3'x3'x74" tent and not sure how to set it up. Will I need an exhaust fan for any reason other than smell? If I do need one what size? I will paint the room flat white. I'm not sure what else to ask. lol Hopefully you will know.
    Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
    Mega Crop Nutrients, Bud Explosion.
    36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
    4 bulb T5's for Veg.
    2 VipraSpectra 450 LED for flowering
    IPower 4" Exhaust and Scrubber
    3 Gallon fabric pots.

Ohh you're going to like all that space! The exhaust would come in handy if your rh gets too high. I grow in a similar sized room and the only time my humidity gets high is in flower when the plants get large. The rh in my house is approx 50%. With my fan on the rh in the grow Room it stays around 45% off it goes up to 55, 60%. I would go with a 6 inch min. You might be able to get away without one. All depends on rh

Comment

• uncledoug
      uncledoug commented
      Editing a comment
      SSA
      Thanks for you help. I'll try it without an exhaust, I sure it will work well in the winter with our low rh. May need one for summer. The other is smell so I'll do the same, if it smells I'll buy an exhaust. It will be great having all that room.

Hello, Uncle Doug...

Do you have a Window in your room that adjoins the outside? Even though you're Not concerned about smell, I still think you need an exhaust setup (along with a regular fan) to give your plants some ventilation.
    If you have a window to the outside, you could take a pane out, put up a piece of plywood and cut a round hole for the exhaust. I used a regular dryer-type fitting for the exhaust pipe to connect to (Be Sure to tape, caulk or use some of that expanding foam to seal off the vent so you don't get any light leaks or unwanted cold or hot air coming in.

Are you going to be able to control the temp and humidify in that Room? Just some things to think about... I sure others may be able to add some helpful suggestions.

Good Luck with your new grow room and your future grows!
    3'x3'x6' Cool Grow Tent and Large Wooden Cabinet
    3 and 5 Gallon Fabric Pots
    Coco Coir with 30% Perlite
    2-450 watt Vipar Spectra LEDs
    4" Exhaust with Vivosun Fan and Carbon Filter
    6" Oscilatting Fan
    GH Flora-Trio Nutes with Cal-Mag and GH Liquid Kool Bloom

"Why Do You Keep Banging Your Head Against That Wall?"
    "'Cause It Feels So Good When I stop"

Comment

Forced air furnace or boiler? Forced air you need to be aware of the cold air returns. They can grab a real nice whiff when guests are over!
      TENT: Cool Grow 3x3x6 LIGHT: M-H TSW2000
      EXHAUST: AC Infinity T-4 and controller 67
      AIR CIRC: AC Infinity Cloudray S6 x2
      IRRIGATION: BluMat Tropf NUTRIENTS: Earth Dust

Comment

• uncledoug
        uncledoug commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point, I never thought about that. Any good ideas? Covering them I'm thinking is probably not good?

Thanks ONT

• OlderNOTwiser
        OlderNOTwiser commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you know any "younger" guys or gals in the HVAC business? If so, possibly have a little consult BEFORE digging into the room. I'd try to figure out what my system needs for return air and try to make up that airflow with another return or open up more in a room with a return already. I don't know if you're in a big drafty 1800's farmhouse or a newer tract home or what have you, but I'd seriously look at ventilation needs. A space this size will have a ton of moisture added to it with all of those plants transpiring. Black mold and moisture in the house is an expensive and unhealthy situation.

• uncledoug
        uncledoug commented
        Editing a comment
        Our house was first documented in 1860 but built before that. We did have a mold issue at one time and I think it is not worth the risk. My B plan is to buy a new tent, bigger,taller and quieter exhaust system maybe another light or a light rail like OJH has.
        Thanks Old.

9x12.... Sweet I'm jealous lol.

Comment

Growing autos or photo’s? Don’t forget to plan for your equipment and work space. I have 3 tents, cloner, curing cabinet, plus my work station and a drying area in a space that’s 8x12.
        Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

• uncledoug
          uncledoug commented
          Editing a comment
          Growing autos.

Consider doing a perpetual harvest. Build something out in the room or get a small tent. You can get more harvests, quicker. Although, I don't know how long it will take you to go through 9x12x8 worth of weed.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

• uncledoug
          uncledoug commented
          Editing a comment
          That's how I grow now, harvest every 5 or 6 weeks, works great once you better at timing. I was thinking about that, one big grow would last me till the end.

Thanks for the help.

Do you have options on hanging lights? It’s easy enough to screw into the Sheetrock and use hooks in the joists...removing them is a simple spackle and re-paint. I agree with the exhaust. Depending on your window set up, there are tons of ideas to camouflage it from the outside...especially that lights are on 18 hours, if you have neighbors...they start to wonder why it is so bright or PURPLE..

if you are concerned about fan noise There are several mufflers but the Cloudline T-6 and remote controller is so quite no one ever knows. Depending on how crazy you want to get and how handy you are, you can get a 6” wall vent that looks EXACTLY like a slightly larger clothes dryer vent to exhaust the air.

being able to walk in without hunching over and work on the pots is just so sweet. An easy set up is to run an “L” along the out walls.you can put up 10-12 plants with nice spacing between them and still have a bunch of room in the middle of the room

Comment

• uncledoug
          uncledoug commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Farmall, Decided to go with a larger tent, I am going to get The T-6 with remote, you told me about that before and I forgot the brand name so thanks for the info again.

Good call Farmall That's what I'm doin with my veg room 👍 a horseshoe with the 1.5x1.5 center open.

Comment

• Farmall
          Farmall commented
          Editing a comment
          Having the option, I have done it in a room and a tent. The room is just much more comfortable. As Gluteous mentions...the smell can be both aromatic and obnoxious at the same time depending on the views of the sniffer. One way to turn off the opinions of a spouse is to overwhelm the space with an un-appreciated fragrance.

I have a private space in the building and isolated the room so it works perfectly, except for No water and it’s 15 steps up. So, I did a tent figuring maybe it’s better. No different other than unzipping, zipping, bending reaching...etc.etc.. cramped. I could not easily reach in to adjust and raise lights... so, I rolled it up and I’ll keep it in the garage in a giant plastic bag until ....

Depending on how many plants you're gonna run, I don't why you wouldn't want to vent and filter. You'll smell that outside. Your exhaust also (hopefully) brings in fresh air and should completely refresh the room every 3-5 minutes.
        Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X