Need plant training advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need plant training advice

Howdy All, I’m looking for some advice on how to maximize my grow space 2x3x6. I’m currently running a dwc bubbler with 5 gallon buckets (2 to be exact) with green crack from seed (feminized not auto). I’m just about to transplant to the bucket. What are your suggestions on training the plants (pros and cons)?

You have two five gallon buckets in the 2x3x6 tent?

Comment

Hi RFheavy, Is that a bad thing?

Comment

• RFheavy
        RFheavy commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a bad thing. You could top once and LST the branches to fill out the 2x3 space. As they grow up, make sure there is enough light penetration and space between potential colas. Don't want to pack it to tight in there.
        Last edited by RFheavy; 02-05-2020, 01:39 AM.

• RFheavy
        RFheavy commented
        Editing a comment
        Honestly, I just like training my plants. I'll make one plant 4'x4' just to practice my training. What kind of light you got?

Is there a way to LST with a SCROG type method that would help me in managing the colas so that I don’t wast any space? I’m not sure I want to Scrog due to the difficulty in cleaning and filling/topping off. You’re 100% right in the fact that I’m probably squeezing to many plants in a small space but I just don’t want to throw a perfectly good plant away. So I’m trying to make the best of my situation. Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Thank you, RF. I have a lot to learn and a lot of questions.

Comment

• RFheavy
        RFheavy commented
        Editing a comment
        Best place to be in that spot! Ask away. How are the roots coming along?

Thank you very much. Well so far so good I guess based on my crazy reading a research. I know I’m a little early in my growth phase as I’m just about to transplant to the bucket, but I have a quick question. At what point do you move them? I’ve seen posts stating when the first round leves die off, and others stating when you see the second set of true leaves, others say third leaves, and some say when the roots come out of the tray.

Comment

• RFheavy
        RFheavy commented
        Editing a comment
        I go by the roots. If it's around an inch or so coming out of my cube, I'll throw it in my bucket. I have a top feed that will keep it going till the roots get to the bottom of the bucket. Once the roots sit in the water, I start giving light nutes.

So much insight...this is awesome! Ok, so one of the seedling has three little roots poking out over an inch while the other one is actually growing larger but nothing poking out. I have a top feed as well, so when I transplant no nutes until it hits the water? Are you PHing the water or still distilled H2O.

Comment

• RFheavy
        RFheavy commented
        Editing a comment
        I pH the water and I also add calmag.  No nutes till the roots get to the water in the bucket.  Are your buckets connected? Is there a res? Also, do you have a tds or ec meter and a ph tester?

Ok so only ph and calmag. What ph level should it be at? No res at this point strictly because I’m limited on space outside of the tent. I was afraid of connecting the two specifically because I didn’t want to contaminate the other plant if something goes wrong. I do have a tds, ec, and ph meter (pen style).

Comment

• RFheavy
        RFheavy commented
        Editing a comment
        5.5-6.5 for hydro so 6.0 is the sweet spot.  Sounds like you are good to go! Hopefully the temps and rh can be adjusted if needed. What kind of light do you have?

Sounds good I’ll adjust the ph to 6.0. What about calmag. How much ml per gallon? Temps flow somewhere between 70 - 75. The light I have is an HLG 260 QB V2 Rspec.

Comment

RF, what kind of nutes are you using?

Comment

• RFheavy
          RFheavy commented
          Editing a comment
          I use general hydroponics. How about yourself?

I go real light on the calmag. Someone else might know better than I. I'll put 1 ml per two gallons. Also, the pH doesn't always have to be at 6.0. It's ok to let the plant drink at lower and higher levels as long as you are inside the range.
        Sorry, I didn't respond to the other post with this comment.

Comment

No worries. Same here the Flora series. I’ve been reading that for seedlings people are using 1/4 strength nutes. What about hydroguard? Or is that only when they are sitting in the water?

Comment

https://growace.com/blog/ph-and-ppm-...ey-can-handle/
            if you scroll down in that link, you'll see what ppm you should be using at what stage. What I do is I make a gallon of nutrient mix and I take that and another gallon of water with me. I check my ppm and I add from both jugs until I hit my desired ppm range. pH after. To raise ppm, add nurient mix. To lower, add from water. If the tips of your leaves start frying, there is a chance that your ppm could be too high. In hydro, there is a lot of mixing and waiting. Make sure you take the time to measure everything. Your tester and meter might take some time before it levels off in the readings. I usually check on my plants again a half hour later to make sure all is well. RIP not replying again. haha!

Comment

Also, try and cover your medium so the light doesn't incite algae growth riots. You can cut a paper plate in half with a hole in the middle and turn it upside down for an easy remedy.

Comment

LBBandit

Same footprint as yours with individual SCRoG. Early into flowering.
                More elephant!

Coco/perlite
                3x3x6

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X