New to hydroponics advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to hydroponics advice?

I have recently made a leap into growing in dwc. I'm waiting on some seeds to arrive .I have some cheapo rockwool starters no humidity dome I know how to germinate and place in rockwool. My question is where to go from there without the dome and when to put into hydrotron Peebles? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.. I'm not new to growing only new to dwc. I have a 3 and half gallon with 5 in netpot and another homemade but it's made good . I'll be using gh Flora trio. Thanks for friendly advice. Also I ordered a pump for my homemade bucket and it has 2 small blue stones if I t them both in same bucket is that enough with small stones the pump is powerful enough. Just wondering about the little blue stones I've heard bad about them hoping to make 2 work considering budget but I don't want to waste time if it's not

Howdy Growgood88, The seeds can be germinated in or on paper towels and then placed into the rockwool cubes (my preferred method). Keeping the water well aerated is important, but keeping the water temperature down below 70° F is important as well. I use ice bottles to keep the water between 65° F and 70° F, changing them out as needed. Also, keeping ALL light out of the reservoir is important to help prevent algae and root rot from starting.
    Good luck on Your grow.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

I've used the blue airstones for germination and cloning in a small container but never in my hydro setup because it is brittle and the blue flakes will get into everything. I've also had roots stick to the blue airstones. Might I suggest a soaker hose? The link is a DIY guide with item list and dimensions.

Hello 420 Mag Community. Apologies if this subject was already posted...I searched and couldn't find one specific to this subject. Just wanted to post my results so far in my efforts to build some soaker hose air diffusers. Wasn't at all happy with my first grow with the little air stones and...

(Hope I don't get killed for posting another grow forum link)

Comment

Thanks I have researched alot just certain things like getting stuff to grow in a different medium than soil is new to me. Can I sit cubes in a little water on plate or maybe mist them for moisture? I know not to keep em soaked. I guess it's just trial and error. Maybe I'll start using the free seeds I get

Comment

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          No, don’t place rockwool in stagnant water. In fact don’t let any part of your plants sit in stagnant water. For rockwool the trick is to get it wet, but not soaking....them let it dry up with out drying the roots up. It’s trial and error and has a lot to do with the ambient environment.

I will definitely look into a soaker or something larger. I'm on a monthly income limit 4 now so they should hold me over till then

Comment

Welcome to the forum! There are tons of folks who do a much better job at this, but here is my answers. I have some examples in the links on my signature journals.

Once you have the seeds rooted in the rockwool, I would move them to the net pot, keep the top of the rockwool level with the top of the net pot and just fill around it
          Unless you are going to water it everyday until the roots reach out into the water Some folks use a little pump in the resivor to pump water up onto the rockwool. I use an air system to keep the heat down.

I use two 6 inch stones, I really can not answer your "Blue" stone question, but the more air the better.

Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
          A tale of two seeds
          Batter Up Sour Deisel
          Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
          New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
          Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            This is great advice. May I make a suggestion to fully submerge the rockwool into the hydroton. The reason being is that pests love to hide/breed in rockwool. But if it is fully covered up, it limits the potential exposure.

Thanks Ragweeddwc I have one 6 in in the one goin now and it's droopy and looks overwatered day 4 from transplant from soil shock I assume I hope it comes out. I have water level touching root ends inch up on netpot. Gelato.

Comment

Got me worried.

Comment

• RagWeedDWC
              RagWeedDWC commented
              Editing a comment
              the roots may be touching but not sure they are drinking. I would give it a light watering from the top and see what it does.

• RagWeedDWC
              RagWeedDWC commented
              Editing a comment
              I see where you said the water was an inch up on your net cup, mis read that at first.

I'm running a osculating fan on low at 75 to 78 on average 75.

Comment

I have been from too past couple days

Comment

Blue stones are fine, but they deteriorate over time. So plan on replacing them often.
                When putting small plants into the net pods, I only cover the bottom of the net pod with hydroton in a single thin layer. I place the rock wool on top of that single layer then fill in the sides so the the pebbles are flush with the rock wool. There should be plenty of space left on top for when the plant grows bigger. As the plant gets taller, I fill in the rest of the space with hydrotin so that I only cover stem at any given time (never cover leaves). By the time the plant is getting closer full sized, my rockwool cube is completely submerged into the pebbles.
                Best of luck!
                Last edited by Toker1; 02-02-2020, 05:43 PM.
                4x4 600w HID empty for summer
                3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
                2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
                running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Do u let the water level touch netpot bottom to start?

Comment

• Toker1
                    Toker1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No water from the reservoir should never touch the netpod. Leave a small air gap. 1 - 2 inches when the roots are not submerged (you can top feed with a pump or hand water at this stage). 3 - 4 inch air gap when the roots are submerged.

Got ya so lower my level and topfeed

Comment

• Toker1
                    Toker1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes sir

• YYCannabis
                    YYCannabis commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When you top feed, do it a couple of inches away from the rock wool. The idea is to entice roots laterally towards the wet nutrients.
                    Once roots reach water in the reservoir, no more need for top feeding.

• Toker1
                    Toker1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Roots will find the large reservoir full of water below even if you water on top of the cube

It’s also very important to cover the top of the pail with foil, or something, to prevent light leaks from reaching into the pail. Root rot is always a risk with just a small light leak.
                  There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
                  1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
                  2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
                  3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

I got my gh Flora trio in mail today. It doesn't say hardwater on micro like I've heard I should use with tap water. Is it still ok to use just that or will I need to buy an additive. Rather get by with just the 3 if possible?

Comment

• Toker1
                      Toker1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If your tap water is ok to drink... then it’s most likely ok for your girls. What is the Ppm reading from the tap?

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X