Should I get a different Led light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I get a different Led light?

I have a Viparspectra TC1350. I’m wondering if it’s going to be good enough for my 4x4x8 Gorilla tent. I can return the light no charge. I’ve read so much about lights that I’m lost in the forest. This light cost me $400. is there anything that would be substantially better within $200 of that? It seems like the next step up is $800 and up for a good quantum board, COB, or spider. I’m trying to get 1 lb harvests. I have limited control of the strain but they will all be the same mother. Any help is greatly appreciated!

There is certainly better ways to spend that $400, assuming you live in north america. That's a good light, but it's by no means energy efficient, and the light quality and output is just nothing compared to modern day LED tech. Checkout the Mars TS 2000. It puts out more light, with a better spread, using less power, for less money. May be up your alley. it's also fanless.

Comment

hey Guest that light will work fine in your tent. Specs call for 5x5 veg and 4x4 for flower. I run two viparspectra 600 in a 3.5 x 6 x 6 tent and harvested a lb last grow.
      Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
      Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
      6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
      Canna Coco/perlite
      General Hydroponics Flora Series
      Cal/Mag.

Tent
      Bruce Banner
      Kushy Kush
      2Cookies and cream

Comment

Yes they will work, but he can, and has the ability to return that light and get twice the output, or half the power consumption of the same or less money, seems like a no brainer. These vipar lights are old old old technology now.

Comment

• homegrown
          homegrown commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed, cannatom can change it up. But for his grow space, neither of the Mars TS 2000 versions(according to mars specs), will flower a 4x4 tent...the Viperspectra he has will flower a 4x4 tent and can produce a lb of weed..just say'n.

There's more to a light than just what the company who sells it claim it will work well in. PPFD and actual strength and spectrum of the light is key. The old boards in these Vipar lights is not a full spectrum and is not a strong light, you will never EVER be able to get over, or even close to 1 gram per watt of power. These newer LED's have no problem getting 1.5 and closer to 2 grams per watt. It's not just about foot print, but about even light spread and penetration, which the old LED's just don't have. Buying these old LED's is only really worth it if they are dirt cheap.

Comment

Lol, dropinbiking, are we getting into a pissing contest here? I realize sellers are gonna bullsh*t...so heres some pics....First grow. Over a LB after drying....second grow..probably a pound and a half outta these crappy Vipers. How is your results with your mars lights?? curious..always looking to upgrade...
          Canna Coco/perlite
          Cal/Mag.

Tent
          Bruce Banner
          Kushy Kush
          2Cookies and cream

Comment

• dropinbiking
            dropinbiking commented
            Editing a comment
            If it's any peace of mind, the yields and praise you and a few others here are giving to these old Vipar Spectra lights gives me faith for my 300 that I got used on a whim from a friend. I bundled it with another older tech basic 600w light this week. It's not setting records, but I've got more faith in things now than I did 1 week ago.

No no noo please I'm not trying to jump in to this forum and start a war. I swear the honest truth. I myself am growing with a Vipar, I love it. I paid $35 hard earned dollars for it. I'm just merely stating facts that I've come to learn over the last couple of months of studying lights and the new waves of technology hitting the scene. I was blown away at how much cost of production has come down, and overall light output has gone. The price of the older lights just does not reflect what's currently capable in the LED world.

Comment

I don't have any real experience with X or Y brand, I'm not here to show off any massive yields because I don't have any. I just wish to share information I've learned to help save somebody some potential electrical costs, or some heat. Bang for buck is what at home growing is all about right?

Comment

• homegrown
              homegrown commented
              Editing a comment
              whats new and special now will be old hat in 6 months..im producing way more than i expected with guidance from this forum and website, still using obsolete lights and a homemade grow tent. Why spend more money if you dont have to?

• dropinbiking
              dropinbiking commented
              Editing a comment
              You're not wrong with any of that. Lights don't make a grow, the grower does. Honestly, it sounds like somebody like you would maximize the most from some of these newer lights. The only real improvements have been LED's that are more stable, run cooler, and can be driven harder while maintaining efficiency. This has been around for a while, but has finally gotten down to a reasonable cost. Also it's a lot more common and cheap to see quality 10w drivers on lights. They can be pushed harder with less heat again, and are more efficient. Light spectrum has also been dialed in and new lights can get a full broad spectrum without issue or sacrificing red or IR light. The only gains you would see, considering you probably grow really well and could make the most out of a light, would be a lower energy bill, less heat coming off the lights, a more quiet light, and of course IF you got the right size light you could also increase yield. It's not magic, and it's not a dying fad, the high end tech has simply gotten cheaper.

• dropinbiking
              dropinbiking commented
              Editing a comment
              Not trying to push you to dump a bunch of lights that work great, but say if you stumbled on some cash for new grow equipment, or had to advice somebody on lights, or say a freak accident and your lights blew, I just strongly advice do some looking into the current and next gen light technology, it's worth knowing for if the day ever comes.

If I was going to switch to back to Led I would probably go with something for these guys. https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/

Comment

I own the Mars sp250 great light
              5x5 tent
              2000 watt Aglex cob series
              Mars SP250
              Six inch carbon filter
              Current grow 2 x ice cream cake, 2 x Torontonian Cookies 2 x shishkaberry and 1 x BC OG all reg​​ seeds

Comment

• JDU
                JDU commented
                Editing a comment
                TSW 2000
                Its freakin bright fo sure! & so much cooler than T5s!!! If I slept in & didn't open the door flaps when the lT5s came on it would be 90°F in 30min. I had to have them both open to maintain 84F. Now I've had this one goin with the flaps closed for 3hrs & its standing steady at 79 😎

• dropinbiking
                dropinbiking commented
                Editing a comment
                I wish they would make a TS 1000 in the long version. The long 2000 would BANG a 4x2 tent. Glad to hear such positive news, I'm saving my canadian beaver belts so I can buy a solid light in April. After a year, the operating cost really starts to make a HUGE difference with these new lights.

• JDU
                JDU commented
                Editing a comment
                Btw yes you do deserve one & can grow weed deserving of a light like this! Listen to the good folk here, study GWE & keep track of things that go wrong (AND right!) - how you fix it etc.....
                This isn't super fancy- looks like 2 small quantum boards & generic drivers. It says it will flower a 3x3 at 12-18in so I'll have to supplement a little & It was under $300.
                The next- & last rainbow I'm gonna chase is a spine & rib deal like Yycannabis & Farmall -among others are using, flowering bars only & big enough to cover the whole 4x6 if I ever need the full tent. I'll put the Mars in the veg tent & never have to upgrade again!!

If you’re up for doing a couple DIY fixtures you could do 2 fixtures using the HLG-QB132 v2 boards. 4 boards with the HLG-320H-2100a driver per fixture. It’ll cost about $300 per fixture and you can run each fixture as high as 300 watts or as low as 115 watts. The driver has built in dimming so no extra wiring beyond the boards and drivers. 8 total boards on 2 fixtures in a 4x4 would give you the best possible balance of intensity and spread. Unfortunately with quantum boards right now they’re only affordable if you build them yourself.
              Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

Originally posted by homegrown View Post
                Lol, dropinbiking, are we getting into a pissing contest here? I realize sellers are gonna bullsh*t...so heres some pics....First grow. Over a LB after drying....second grow..probably a pound and a half outta these crappy Vipers. How is your results with your mars lights?? curious..always looking to upgrade...
                A friend with weed is a friend indeed...
                A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

Thanks you guys! Has anyone done a diy build of any high quality lights? Would love to get more info on recommend parts and where to source them from.

Comment

Not personally, but the shop I used to work at had a nice quantum board setup in the mixing room for colour sampling. It's just a basic LED board with a heatsink, externally mounted power source, and a way to hang it, not much to them really. You can get creative as you want with them. This was just a little 2"x2" board for looking at colour cards but damn was it some nice light.

Comment

YYCannabis has designed and built a Beautiful light system...check out his posts on it. AND check out his plants!! lol
                    Canna Coco/perlite
                    Cal/Mag.

Tent
                    Bruce Banner
                    Kushy Kush
                    2Cookies and cream

Comment

• YYCannabis
                      YYCannabis commented
                      Editing a comment
                      😎 thanks for the shoutout.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X