Suck or blow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suck or blow?

Wondering what options on mounting the carbon filter in the tent so everything is sucked in, or mount it after the exhaust so all air is sucked from the tent and blown out the filter. Will the fan work better one way or the other ? Does one direction offer more filtration than the other ? Any and all input is appreciated.
    *4x2x6 for veg with HLG65 4000k x3
    ​​​​*2x2x4 for mothers with HLG65 [van helsing, master breath, white mo, pineapple express]
    *custom 4x4 closet for flower with HLG260 + 4' T5 (x4) - agromax bloom led x2 + agromax 6400k florescent x2 {440watt totall}
    *8 site clone bucket with 20w cfl
    You never know when you might need a little C4

All I have seen and use are on the intake side not on the exit side.
    You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

should work either way, my filter is outside the tent 'cause there's no room for it inside!

Comment

My filter is inside the tent. With duct work going thru the tent to my extraction fan which blow clean filtered air from my tent to my basement. I smell nothing.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Mrblu
          Mrblu commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm considering the bottom right, for space reasons and I'm thinking it may keep it cleaner? Get a dust filter for the end in the tent.

• Farmall
          Farmall commented
          Editing a comment
          To maximize air exchange inside the space and to help remove any heated air, you may want to consider the top of the tent since hot air rises. Although you may want the heat in Cooler winter zones. Once leaves start dying and crinkle up the floor gets littered up anyway. Despite the house keeping I try to maintain, when the area was finally emptied there was crap everywhere anyway

• homegrown
          homegrown commented
          Editing a comment
          Bottom right is the setup i use now..first grow i used top left setup...didnt work as well as current system. and yes...get a dust filter or screen. You'll be amazed at what gets trapped in that thing. Im filtering 5 plants in harvest flower and its keeping up.

Don’t remember where I read it but as the illustration above shows, filter has air drawn thru it. It may actually been on Nebulas basics tutorial.

Comment

I have done both, Fan/filter inside tent blowing out, and Fan/filter outside tent sucking air out. I prefer the latter....seems to work better for air exchange and filtering. and gives you more room in tent.
          Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
          Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
          6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
          Canna Coco/perlite
          General Hydroponics Flora Series
          Cal/Mag.

Comment

• Mrblu
            Mrblu commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm thinking efficiency wise maybe the fan doesn't have to work as hard blowing out the filter as it does sucking through. And I have had trouble with the pre filter stating clean. homegrown did you use a pre filter when blowing out? Any issues with carbon dust exiting the filter?

• homegrown
            homegrown commented
            Editing a comment
            yes i have a pre filter(sock) and i haven't noticed any charcoal dust. This setup is in my 70yr old basement so i wouldnt notice the dust anyway lol

i heard from a professional grower that the best way to keep smell from escaping thru the ventilation is to have the carbon filter, then the fan, then the lights and then to the outside, if you were to put the fan after the lights some air will be sucked thru the light hood and straight outside. so having air pushing trhu the lights instead of sucking from, allows the small leaks to go back into the growroom

Comment

If you blow through the filter, use the/a 'sock' to cover the filter.

Because, you blow charcoal dust out of the filter, the dust is really small and ends up through out your space.
            the sock catches most of the dust, and can be gently hand washed and re used

Comment

Howdy Mrblu, The only thing that would make any difference in whether the filter was mounted on the intake side or the output side of the fan would be in the construction of the filter itself. If the supporting structure is on the outside of the filter media, then the filter would need to be mounted on the discharge side of the fan and if the filter media was on the outside of the supporting structure (usually perforated metal or plastic), then the filter should be mounted on the intake side of the fan. Most of the manufacturers will note the proper mounting direction with an arrow indicating the floe direction, if it is required.
              Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Carbon filter is like car exhaust. Blow out the tent, the bulb burn emissions fumes
                .. 🙂

Comment

In my small 2x2 tent, I got flex ducting coming out of the top of the tent sucking into 6inch exaust fan, blowing thru carbon scrubber.That's on the floor outside the tent. Works fine. No smell.
                  In my big tent ,I put it all on the inside of the tent, and use carbonscrubber first into fan, blowing out .
                  Both ways work, probably more efficient with the scrubber first.
                  PS, I was told if you are blowing thru the scrubber you need to put the prefilter inside the scrubber instead of outside, like normal. Idk.
                  Last edited by D.A.A.S.69; 12-28-2019, 02:48 PM.
                  Cfls for a week or two
                  315lec for everything else
                  Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
                  36x36x63 inch tent.
                  6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
                  Smart pots
                  Molasses
                  Autoflowers

Comment

Thank you all for your input , I always appreciate new knowledge
                    *4x2x6 for veg with HLG65 4000k x3
                    ​​​​*2x2x4 for mothers with HLG65 [van helsing, master breath, white mo, pineapple express]
                    *custom 4x4 closet for flower with HLG260 + 4' T5 (x4) - agromax bloom led x2 + agromax 6400k florescent x2 {440watt totall}
                    *8 site clone bucket with 20w cfl
                    You never know when you might need a little C4

Comment

I don't have vented lights but I've always preferred filter first, then fan. Mount is in upper right so that fresh air is pulled in through lower left vents in the room.
                      Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

Sucking through or blowing out the filter shouldn’t make much of a difference.
                        Now for heat exchanging... you always want to suck the heat out. The most efficient way to move the air is by creating a laminar flow (negative pressure). Positive pressure will create a turbulent flow, which is not efficient at removing heat.
                        4x4 600w HID empty for summer
                        3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
                        2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
                        running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
                        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Mrblu if you do decide to have the exhaust blowing out of the filter rather than sucking through you will need to put the pre-filter INSIDE the filter (rather than covering the exterior with the pre-filter) to get the airborne crud before it gets to the carbon bits...

Comment

• duckman
                            duckman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            just noticed D.A.A.S.69 already mentioned this...

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X