Tincture questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tincture questions

I’m going to try my hand at making a tincture with Everclear. I have some very good trim to use.
    1) Should it be decarbed and ground up?
    2) Fan leaves...I have some that have coated stems. Can I use the whole leaf? Or just the stem?

Cheers
    YYC
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Decarb, do not grind. Use the whole thing. I double bag in 250micron MaxLoom bags to contain material. Tinc is the best.
    Attached Files

Comment

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      Where do you get the bag?

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      Would 120 micron bags work just as well? Easier to get on amazon.

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      You can also strain with cheese cloth then filter with 2 coffee filters together. The top coffee filter will collect kief that can be dried and smoked later.

Doesn't it kind of depend on what you want it to do? Decarbed vs not. Each will give different results. Some trichomes will vaporize in DC. Yeah?
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6
    Nutes
    CalMag

Comment

• JohnEmad
      JohnEmad commented
      Editing a comment
      according to my research you are correct GB

Farmall YYCannabis - I combine etoh/cannabis after minimum 18hrs. in freezer, shake vigorously for 1 minute every 2hrs. over 8hrs. Remove and suspend over mouth of jar and let bag drip dry. Bags are MaxLoom stitchless
    Attached Files
    Last edited by quirk; 12-26-2019, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Anything that is made to be an eatable mj product should be decarbed. I didn’t like the ethanol flavor in my tincture. I ended up boiling it all off and infusing mine in some PPG. Thought it tasted much better this way.
      Good luck!!
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• JDU
        JDU commented
        Editing a comment
        Vegetable glycerin will work too

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes true, but it is not nearly as efficient as PPG.

• JohnEmad
        JohnEmad commented
        Editing a comment
        could you use coconut oil instead of PPG?

I always decarb my trim befoe I cover it with EC. I try to disturb the trim as little as possible so the trichomes are integral--not ground up. And then I let it soak. Sometimes some weeks, sometimes months. Depends on if I'm being lazy or not.

I strain the tincture through almond milk bags (which I wash in dish soap and cold water, I leave soaking) and put it in amber dropper bottles (and some larger strorage bottles.)
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• YYCannabis
        YYCannabis commented
        Editing a comment
        I have some fan leaves that have stems just coated in trichs...should I use those stems?

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        I would!!!! I will snip off gooey parts and put them in my trim bag.

YYCannabis While you may run the risk of introducing more than tasty(yuk) chlorophyll by adding the fan leaves, I do it when mine are truly coated with trichs but trim off sections of the leaves that don’t contain any. I have had really green alcohol wash as a result of extended contact with Everclear and was aggravated enough to say “f this” and left it in the freezer for another month. Then one day while looking through the freezer, I found the Erlenmeyer flask and it’s wash contents had turned a fabulous golden color...the waxes and sediment had settled out and it turned into a really fine extraction. As an edible component, you may not really care to much about the chlorophyll content where it won’t matter.

my initial introduction to tinctures was thru alltatup who is a supremely qualified alchemist and then, by exposure to extracts via alcohol. I’d learned how 3-5 minutes washes can work to my advantage by minimizing exposure to chlorophyll. On those micron bags...check Amazon. The sell quite a few different ones and then go read some tincture stuff at extractcrafter dot com.

Comment

• Farmall
        Farmall commented
        Editing a comment
        By the way.. IN MY OPINION.....that Everclear is like sticking a lit match under your tongue

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't do sublingual anymore; I just mix the tincture into a little almond milk and swig it down. And these are outstandingly excellent bags for clean wash: korlor420.com (website down for maintenance, but the bags are made of silk).

As for chlorophyll, it puts the Green in Green Dragon!!! http://cannadad.blogspot.com/2013/03...lorophyll.html
        Last edited by alltatup; 12-27-2019, 03:21 AM.

• Farmall
        Farmall commented
        Editing a comment
        alltatup. For any reason, I cannot think I can drink almond milk. Milk alone was never a strong draw either. This could be genetic...like some people with cilantro (which I love).

Years ago, I brought home some mini water melons that were YELLOW inside. Smelled great, tasted great but because of the yellow fruit, did not go down well MENTALLY . Milk has those same mental elements for me. Yes, I know it is the stuff funny ducks are made from 🤪

YYCannabis - 120 micron will do fine, as that's about the diameter of a trichome. I wouldn't go smaller. I use the 250 to allow for easier etoh flow through while shaking and drip drying. Just personal preference.

Comment

• YYCannabis
        YYCannabis commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks quirk

• JohnEmad
        JohnEmad commented
        Editing a comment
        so many acronyms...whats the short for acronym?...lol!

YYCannabis in making bubble hash, the “working bag” is 220 micron. As the need is to reduce the mixture to full melt bubble hash, the best bag number is 73 micron.

Comment

• Farmall
        Farmall commented
        Editing a comment
        Forgot to add, I’m sure you’re good at 120

Thanks for the replies. Bags should be here within a day.

Comment

Finally getting around to doing this.

Got 35 grams of loose, whole trim decarbing. Is there a magic ration of herb:EC? Or do I use just enough EC to cover the herb?

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          YYCannabis The herb should be completely submerged.

lol
        I just opened the rosin bags I ordered. Little smaller than I expected.

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          I have them slightly larger than that size, and if you slip one over the top of another containing the bud, it will hold everything in. I put a few of them in a jar with EC before I got my Source machine, but these bags are great for a quick wash that you want the least amount of contaminant in.

It won't, however, compete with a buchner funnel and filter for removing debris from the tincture. So I reckon you're trying to make a very clean tincture? Are you then going to make a concentrate?

• YYCannabis
          YYCannabis commented
          Editing a comment
          To be honest alltatup, I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it. 🤔 This is my first attempt at it and have never tried tincture before that’s made with EC. I’ve had ppg tincture before.

It’s currently -19c here. I moved the EC from my freezer to outdoors several hours ago.
        When I stuffed the greens into the bags, I would squeeze and crush the material. Not sure if that was for the best, but it was the only way I could see getting all the herb packed.
        I put the decarb herb into their bags and into a mason jar that I then put outside as well (protected from the sun) as I understand that the colder the better. Is that correct?
        So now I’ve poured the liquid into the mason jar and decided to just empty the bottle. 🤣 I guess if it’s too weak I can heat away the alcohol and make it more concentrated.

This is almost as exciting as harvesting my first plant 😁😂

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, keep it all real cold; that helps to infuse the good stuff into the EC. Once I evaporated the EC in a cold bathroom with a fan and an open window to release the EC fumes. The more you heat it, you start to lose good stuff, so do it on a real low temp if you use heat, and make sure that you're letting the EC fumes escape, cuz they can explode. You should have read first, she fussed.

• YYCannabis
          YYCannabis commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t think I would reduce it to that extent.

No boom-boom. I’ve seen lately a few garages explode in our community in the last year because from not venting. Usually teens 😏

YYCannabis I learned from Corinne over on WakeandBake. She's awesome: https://wakeandbake.co/tinctures/

If you're not going to turn it into a concentrate for vaping/smoking, it doesn't need to be pure trichome; that's why the famous Cannabis tincture is called Green Dragon. I like everything from the plant in my tincture.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I have some tincture I made using Spirytus but now I'm thinking I would like to convert it (if possible) to an oil base instead. is it really as simple as adding a carrier oil to the tincture then evaporating the ethanol?
          any thoughts would be appreciated!

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            If you evaporate out all the alcohol, you will have FECO or full extract cannabis oil or Rick Simpson oil (if your tincture is Green Dragon). Then you can thin it down with a carrier oil.

• duckman
            duckman commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks, atu...for future reference, would it work almost as well re: potency to skip the ethanol extraction process and simply cook the decarbed flower along with oil? I understand from GWE that alcohol works better for extraction than glycerin (or oil?) but it would simplify the process to skip the alcohol...

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X