Really small DWC/hydro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really small DWC/hydro

Can you see where I can go with this? We're in design phase so you're only seeing a mock up. I figured there was no way I could do DWC or hydro in my little tent. Not enough space for equipment or growth.
    Sevina was draining after getting molasses'ed, draining into a peanut butter container. This 18oz cup challenge has taught me oodles about roots. Right after a dab, of course, I went to check the draining. It flashed on me I could use same/same duel style design cups to try DWC/h in the same/same molasses draining setup. As roots grow out of the cups I can trim them to keep them from getting root bound.
    Darkening the containers. Proper nutes. I got all that. Is it me or could this actually work? No net pots. No 'proper' equipment except water and air pumps. Dwarf strains or short vegged bagseed/feminized.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

That's very cool, and I'm subbed to see how it goes.

But just so you know (in case you're not being facetial), you could easily fit (2) 5-gallon buckets or 7 gallon totes for normal DWC in a 2 x 3 tent, and grow 2 small-medium bushes, like most autos.

But I still want to see what you can grow in those PB jars.

Cuz you stoned.
    Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      I figured I could do that @DingusKahn. Silly as it sounds, I don't want plants that grow too big. I have a maximum height of 24". With the right training and light cycle, I can grow a 4' plant: 2' out, 2' up, which is pretty good size. Problems I would face are a whole new kit of DWC gear, horizontal spread instead of vertical, fitting my body inside the tent do tend the setup. And other prohibitions. All I need for this are the smallest air pump, water pump, tubing, and something to darken the containers. Less than $25, I imagine.
      Yes, I was stoned.

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      I was envisioning as much in my head. But think about a plant that size a maturity, and then REALISTICALLY envision how many of those can fit comfortably in your 2x3 tent. I'm coming up with 1 1/2 of the plants that you plant on growing. So you can either veg 2 plants for 3-4 weeks or 1 plant for 5-7 weeks.

Either way, you can veg them to about 10 inches high, bending them down and training them into some sort of flat canopy that fills your 6 square feet.

You could fit one of these 27 gallon totes in your tent with 2 or 3 holes on top. That will fill your tent quicly AND give your plants lots of volume to grow AND give you some vertical space for a thick ass canopy of colas.

Sorry to recomend Walmart.
    Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      It would be best if they were all the same strain, growing in the same tank.

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn, that really would make a killer DWC-SOG. Prolly close to a pound, if you're any good and you have a nice light. I think I might have to try one of those in my 2x4 with 315LEC. Hmmmmm.......

A water pump will heat up that small amount of water really quickly. An aquarium chiller would help keep the water temps in check.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooh. Didn't consider Toker1. I need to check that out.

A question about water pumps and gallons per minute. The smallest water pump I can find, after a good solid three minutes of googling, pumps 100 gallons. Maximum liquid capacity in my setup would be in the one gallon range. That's a ballpark. 100 gallons sounds way too much. Will this size pump work for my little setup?
    How about setting up a gravity fed nutrient feeder? Like a gerbil water bottle with hoses to the plants.
    I like where this is going.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      If you've been following one of the other threads that discussed top feed, you might remember that some have been finding that top feed is not worth the effort. Just keep your reservoir filled to within about a half inch (2-3cm if you're unamerican) and the bubbles will keep everything happy.

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      Man, I've got all these soil grows coming on line, I'm going to have to make room in my flower tent for a dedicated big tank grow. Hmmm.. gotta make some changes.....

I'm doing this!

DingusKhan I need a conversion sheet for currency and Celsius to F while your at it inches to cm LOL
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Check out the free app called units plus. It does all those conversations you detailed above.

Thank you Toker1
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't do it SoOrbudgal ! It's a trick! You're a 'merican! An imperial girl! Toker1 means well. If someone throws out that metric crap, ask them to please convert. And if they give you any lip, remind them who you are.

Hey Toker1 about that water cooling thing. I know these would probably give me some humidity issues.
    1. Terra cotta pots. Natural water coolers.
    2. I have a one or two gallon glass jar in initial planning. I'm thinking about a glass full of water? Is it cooler?
    3. Would a smaller container cool faster/easier than plastic or other?
    4. Air circulation across the water to help cool it?
    5. Natural cooling as water/ferts travel through several smaller containers?
    6. Run through a secondary reservoir before or after the pump like a cooling pond?
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw a 70gph pump at my local hardware store. Noticed that the output can be adjusted. I read into that like a fan. The more resistance, the more heat. If I guess I have 1.25 gallons combined, of nutes/water reservoir in the pnut butter containers, a 70gph wouldn't be out of line as far as how powerful the thing is.

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      So the heat has to go somewhere. In the case of the moonshiners, that water flow is what is allowing the heat to transfer into the nearby stream where it can become cooled down. With out water flow, the heat will allow to build inside the reservoir.

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      I need to dab on this. You will hear more from me, comrade in weed.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X