Real small scale mulching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real small scale mulching

Here's my attempt at mulching in my apartment.
    I have a two gallon pot I've started filling with: wet newspaper, kitchen scraps from a neighbor, egg shells, coffee grounds, leaves, soil, and molasses. Maybe one or two other things I'm forgetting. There are about a dozen worm type worms and several more than a dozen meal worms. I'm pensive about using pee as a compost starter. I've done it in the past when I had a real heap.
    I understand the temperature of the compost needs to get to a certain temperature to do it's thing. Temperatures will be bone chilling, the next few days, between 44° and 51° at night. I also understand compost needs to be turned and people do it with cutesy little tumblers you get at the gardening boutique. Not going to happen with me.
    Finally, my question. Will such a small amount be able to reach temperature?
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

It should you can add a little lime to start the process,
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

As a test put some in a black plastic bag in the sun for a day or three, then look inside.

Comment

lol 44 to 51 is definitely not bone chilling.

Comment

stump , bro. I'm in way southwest California. Anything below 55° is headline news. It's also raining. Also headline news. It's been so long since I've seen snow, isn't 45° cold enough to make snow? That would be cool if it did.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

• oldjarhead100
            oldjarhead100 commented
            Editing a comment
            Gingerbeard I am officially inviting you for a visit I dont think anyone in Cali should go without knowing how blessed they are lol My Thermostat is set at 68 so I'm in long johns from Oct,till March I just cant do anything below 20 ,So we can go ice fishing that is always fun when someone hasn't gone before , I promise we will have a fire and cook venison chops,with onions and peppers.yum

• stump
            stump commented
            Editing a comment
            lol . I love it when its cold out . Free air conditioning

• stump
            stump commented
            Editing a comment
            jarhead i'm with ya brother

LOL ya nut bird it's called gray and I never touch it. I don't even brush it
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            How about your shirt? Shoes? Maybe it's your holiday glow.
            Ha! I'm flirting with a girl online! I am so socially mediated. And medicated.

I wear flannel checkered flannel shirt never wash it either, the glow is from the sweat from cooking chili today and cutting peppers.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey. If you don't want me flirting...
            I have the same checkered flannel shirt. Chili, I don't have. Mmm. Gonna have to find me a recipe. What with us having the possibility of snow, and all.

But back to the subject of the post.
          The worm-worms have taken to the bottom of the pot. The meal worms are mostly all at the surface. They've been seen eating newspaper. I had a saucer on top of the mix and several meal worms crawled up the saucer and fell to the bottom. Suicide? Is there such a thing as suicide in meal worms? The saucer was changed to a plate. Smoother sides. No worm traction. No worm suicide. The plate has been changed to a layer of dried newspaper like a layer of mulch over the compost. All worms are below there.
          The mix doesn't seem to be heating but the mass looks like it's already breaking down. Worm husbandry is way cooler than it was in high school.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

oldjarhead100 mi amigo. I've been in the Arabian desert in the summer. I've hiked in the local mountains when there was snow up to my knees. Been above 120° and many degrees below 0°, many times. I've been camping in hurricanes and tornadoes. Texas golf ball hail. Louisiana floods. California earthquakes. Learned how to drive in a Dallas winter, which can be a thing.
            'twere it my decision, I'd be living in a four season area. Not one and a half. I am jealous of your snow and wood burning stoves. 'twere it my decision, we'd be swapping abodes as soon as we rang each others doorbell. But mine doesn't work. Better knock.
            Ice fishing? You hook me up with enough weed and I'll catch you what I will convince myself is a baby Loch-Ness.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6

Comment

• oldjarhead100
              oldjarhead100 commented
              Editing a comment
              lol Gingerbeard

I added the remainders from three ounces of blasted bud to my compost. My compost smells like dirt and weed.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6

Comment

• oldjarhead100
              oldjarhead100 commented
              Editing a comment
              last spring I did a bunch of oil so plenty of waste from it .I had a friend smoke some of the waste and he said he got a buzz from it ,hence my quest to find away to reclaim my alcohol so I can do a third wash to get all the oil from it

I ha ve use the water leaf as mulch for a long time, IMHO it is the best use for it, the plants luv it.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X