Germination step by step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germination step by step

I see alot of folks questioning how to germinate, or how to improve odds of germination and decided to document how I do it and hopefully help someone else. This is my way combining alot of experience and other peoples input over several years.
    List of supplies;
    PH corrected well water
    Reused water bottle
    Hydrogen peroxide
    Shot glass
    2 ceramic saucers
    Paper towel
    Jiffy pot sprouting tray with lid
    Thermostat controlled heated seed mat
    5 Afghan Kush seeds from my breeding collection
    I bet Bob Marley's mansion
    has a garden in the back
    Where he's growing something special
    Some celestial homemade hash
    we'll sit down on his front porch
    And listen to the angels band
    Until then I'll sing I'll fly away with a fat onefin my hand

I started by cleaning all reused items, setting thermostat to 74 F and assembling items in tray. I fill the water bottle with ph corrected water and add 2 capfulls of Hydrogen peroxide and shake well, and add it to the tray and close it all up. Once the temp is stabilized in the tray I pour some of the water into the shot glass, about half full, and add seeds. I also saturate the paper towel that's in the ceramic saucers. Again close it all up, cover it with towel and wait 18 to 24 hrs then check seeds. Its important to keep it not just warm but consistent temp. I find 74 F perfect setting for this particular thermostat.
    has a garden in the back

Comment

Yes you have very good method. And temps are vital as you say. Seeds are more challenging for me in winter. Thank you for sharing the info. Woodsman67
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Woodsman67
        Woodsman67 commented
        Editing a comment
        I see people struggle with this, and I did as well and it's really simple once you understand exactly what the seed needs to succeed. Then give it to em and keep it at level temps. Not seen in pic or listed is a 1/2" thick styrofoam pad under seed heat mat. That combined with towel for insulation maintains steady temps and so far makes no difference how cold outside. Definitely cutting edge technology 😆. Easy to put together

Thanks Woodsman67 i have a not so good germination track record! This will help me for sure!
      Vivosun 2 X 4 X 5 grow tent
      Viparspectra 450W and 300W LED
      Vivosun 4" inline duct fan with carbon scrubber
      2 small 6" fans
      Promix HP
      GH Flora Trio with CalMag

Comment

It's been about 18 hrs. Seeds are not showing any signs of popping but heres where I move them to the saucer and paper towel. Generally I'm about 50% popped at this point but hey, I'm documenting it real time. Things will go wrong. I like to use the saucers because with the paper towel on the edge, the seeds are above any accumulation of water. This keeps them from essentially drowning and so far all my experiments have shown too much water lowers germination rate. Which is why I remove from shot glass at 24 hrs or less. The saucers being ceramic i think helps hold the temp steady and of course ensures seeds stay dark. Hopefully tomorrow there will be some action.
        Attached Files
        has a garden in the back

Comment

A little past 24 hrs, one seed is cracking open, the paper towel is drying out so I added a bit of water to the saucer. The paper towel will wick up the moisture and the humidity level will raise once the saucers are placed back together. I also look at the bottom of the sprouting tray to make sure it isnt drying out and add just a touch of water to keep humidity up.
          Attached Files
          has a garden in the back

Comment

About 40 hrs after dropping see in H2O2, I have 100% germination of the Kush and now I'm putting in 5 Golden Lemon Kush crosses. I am looking for 2 females of each. I will let the seeds continue to stretch out until tap roots are close to 1/2" then move to the solo cups.
            Attached Files
            has a garden in the back

Comment

I haven't read anything about hydrogen peroxide before. What does that do for your seeds? Keep up the great work!
              A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

Hydrogen peroxide adds extra oxygen to the water, helps keep harmful bacteria down and totally changed my odds at germination. I first heard about using it to germinate old garden seeds, then saw a few cannabis growers using it for various reasons in the grow room. At the time I had some old homegrown seeds, several hundred. I went through most of them with zero success. Added peroxide and it gave me 6 out of 10 germ. Added heat mat and near 100% every time. Hope it helps, it's been a great addition to my grow.
                has a garden in the back

Comment

Last update for the day. The 5 kush seeds continue to germ. The 5 hybrid seeds I started last night is about 20 hrs in shot glass, 3 already show signs of popping. They are now on paper towels in the saucer. I have 5 solo cups in the sprouter outer and tomorrow the 5 kush will be planted and on their way. This whole process started 48 hrs ago, 5 seeds doing well, 5 more looking like they should
                  Attached Files
                  has a garden in the back

Comment

Insomnia is a bitch. But the 5 Kush seeds are total sweet hearts and are ready for solo cups. I use a "sprouter outter" I made by buying 2 clear storage containers and using one as a lid. That simple. $2, when placed on the seed mat it creates a high humid and comfy atmosphere for the seed. Hopefully this time tomorrow I'll be sleeping and my germinated seeds will be seedlings
                    has a garden in the back

Comment

I greatly appreciate this. I just got confirmation my seeds will ship. Thanks!!!
                      A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• Woodsman67
                        Woodsman67 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have grown for alot of years. Always had to have alot of seed to make a few viable plants. Switching from outdoor guerilla growing to indoor medicinal grow was made easy for me by GWE. Just passing the combined knowledge I hope it helps

Coming up on 72 hrs since splash down. Seeds are now under flourescent lights, mostly so I can see easier through the cover. I can see one seed starting to break soil, I set them just under the surface. I used a bamboo stick to make a hole deep enough for each root then gently formed the soil around the seed. Hopefully tonight seedlings will pop up.
                      has a garden in the back

Comment

The 5 kush seeds are all now pushed above the soil. Tomorrow I will open them up to the light. I want 2 perfect looking females for mother plants. I'll settle for one. Probably one more update tomorrow and these will be fully germinated.
                        has a garden in the back

Comment

The hybrid are all advancing as well. Did not mean to germ 6, 5 is perfect when trying for 2 females. These will be flowered and best one moving forward to stabilize strain. Mother was Golden Lemon, Daddy was Afghan Kush. I will cut clones just prior to flower for pollination later. They will not get the advantage of the ho made sprouter outter but they will do fine.
                          has a garden in the back

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X