Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crazy Question - How many of you have had your dogs interfere with your grows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy Question - How many of you have had your dogs interfere with your grows?

I am acquiring my components and am awaiting news from Seedman that my payment has been received. I am also preparing to move into a new home. Once moved, I intend to be "rescued" by a puppy. In addition to puppy-proofing my yard/house, I don't want him/her to bother with my grow tent. Anybody have any lessons they care to share?
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

For the most part I keep them out although they don't seem too interested beyond kind of wondering what I'm up to in there. I keep my dogs out of the grow room for the safety of their eyes mostly but also to help keep the amount of hair in my grow area down. They don't even shed very much but you'll be amazed at how much hair you will find in your tent and on your plants, especially if you have long hair and/or a beard. I try to keep it down because I don't want to smoke any more hair than I have to and even if you see and remove it before harvest it tears up trichomes. During veg it's no big deal but I still try to maintain good habits like keeping the pets away, keep the floor clean, brush my hair before I go in, etc. The cat is not allowed in the grow room that houses the tent at all, no exceptions. She might be just fine in there but she might fuck something up, I'm not willing to gamble with my grow.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      i have a small outdoor cat and he doesnt care about the plants either but ive seen other people with cats eating leaves and rubbing against them

dogs dont mind or care about the plants, maybe its best to keep them apart due to hairs and pests. besides with a young dog, you can teach him not to mess with them

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyButtLovin View Post
      For the most part I keep them out although they don't seem too interested beyond kind of wondering what I'm up to in there. I keep my dogs out of the grow room for the safety of their eyes mostly but also to help keep the amount of hair in my grow area down. They don't even shed very much but you'll be amazed at how much hair you will find in your tent and on your plants, especially if you have long hair and/or a beard. I try to keep it down because I don't want to smoke any more hair than I have to and even if you see and remove it before harvest it tears up trichomes. During veg it's no big deal but I still try to maintain good habits like keeping the pets away, keep the floor clean, brush my hair before I go in, etc. The cat is not allowed in the grow room that houses the tent at all, no exceptions. She might be just fine in there but she might fuck something up, I'm not willing to gamble with my grow.
      Thanks, I'm glad I asked! I didn't even consider how pet or human hair might compromise harvest. It's also valuable to know your dog doesn't show much interest.
      A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        at the end of the day youll be smoking your own hair unless you use lunch lady mesh. i keep finding my wifes hair in buds and she only has contact with the plants once a month or so

Dang! Duly noted.

Comment

Mine liked to eat seedlings until I gave her 'Clockwork Orange' treatment.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

Damnit Gingerbeard our little terrier mutt she likes "helping" I won't let her get near the opening because she loves the leaf when I defoliate then she'll puke
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            It was my fault when Dabber ate the seedlings. I left them on the floor while I was setting up the tent.

I have an 8 year old beagle as well as 2 labs. My beagle Darth Luna is my profile picture. My grow space is in the basement so the dogs don’t pay it too much attention. One of the labs is a 6 month old puppy so she doesn’t get access to it, puppies will tear up anything they can if left to their own devices. Anyways, I trained Darth Luna to sniff out weed back when she was a puppy, beagles are notoriously strong scent hounds and she took to the training quickly. She’s so good at it that she will sit next to my exhaust vent outside and let me know it’s time to order a new carbon filter 6 months before I can smell it.

The only tip I have is to be careful with edibles and concentrates around your animals. It won’t kill them if they get into it but the effects of a 50-100 gram edible are far less enjoyable for a 25-60 lb. dog that isn’t a regular consumer than they are for a 100-270 lb. human that does it everyday. Their metabolisms are also faster than that of a human so their experience is far more intense.
          Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

Great name Darth Luna and yes I've read up on animals accidently like children we must be very mindful of our hobby.
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

My dogs stay with me all day, I had to modify the air system in my grow room (Not a tent but approx. 3X4 size) to positive pressure instead of negative, air comes from outside sucked thru the grow room, filtered and then out. Until I did that I had Dog hairs everywhere.
              My oldest dog will eat a joint in a heart beat, will eat the leaves as I trim if I'm not careful.... she is a stoner bird dog.
              Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
              A tale of two seeds
              Batter Up Sour Deisel
              Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
              New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
              Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

I've seen dogs eat buds right off of plants. With intent. By the way dogs do not require buds to be decarbed before eating. So yes, please dog-proof your grow, or train your dog to "LEAVE IT".

My friend's dog also loves to steal roaches right off the coffee table, gets stoned AF.

FunkyButtLovin makes a very important point. If you dog is hanging out with you while you're working in your tent where you should be wearing eye protection (including UV protection with CMH), your pet's eyes are also getting blasted. I suspect my own dog is going blind. She spent a lot of time during my last grow, watching me work. She was several feet away, behind me, chilling out in the room. But if she's lying there, watching me defoliate, flush tanks, and stare at my plants, that could be a lot of cumulative exposure, probably contributing to her cataracts as she ages.

I should get her some doggles.
                Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Yeah, my dog ate my entire grow once man. Left the tent open just one time and the little motherfucker ate it. It was late flower too so I had to follow him around with a little baggie for three days to try and salvage that harvest. Really blew my dog's mind.

Comment

• JDU
                    JDU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just like Labrador I imagine.
                    Dave's not here man!!!

• DingusKhan
                    DingusKhan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's a lot easier to harvest. You don't have to bend down as far.

• RagWeedDWC
                    RagWeedDWC commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Trust me, I did, just don't roll one that big :-)

PS if your dog gets really fucked up, just give him some CBD oil. It will unstone him in about a half hour.
                  Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X