Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Insecticide burn

Hi Everyone
    Firstly I so love this site. New to the forum and have very basic skills, to say the least!
    i’m a total novice on my first ever grow.
    It’s outside - just gone 8weeks and it’s now summer very dry and hot...
    I made a terrible mistake with pest control... had an abundance of whiteflies and god knows what else.

Used pyrethrum (I know this was the first mistake)...as if that wasn’t bad enough- I got over zealous and saturated my poor babies (second mistake)
    Needless to say they have gone all gnarly... and very unhappy.
    So was wondering if there is any hope that they will recover?
    Any advice would be awesome, thanks

Hi bettybird they are going to want you to post pictures i am in my 2nd grow and can't offer much help but the veterans will want to see the damage.
    Vivosun 2 X 4 X 5 grow tent
    Viparspectra 450W and 300W LED
    Vivosun 4" inline duct fan with carbon scrubber
    2 small 6" fans
    Promix HP
    GH Flora Trio with CalMag

Comment

• bettybird
      bettybird commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much for the reply SmashGuitar
      yeah I did think that... will do tomorrow. As I hang my head in shame lol
      Only just got approved to post so just getting into the swing of things ☺️

• SmashGuitar
      SmashGuitar commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem bettybird and welcome to GWE! This forum is awesome! If you would of seen my first grow you would of laughed! It was terrible.

Welcome to GWE, pics are stripped of geo data when uploaded here, and we have all made mistakes,,,,

Comment

• bettybird
      bettybird commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks
      So nice to have a place to go where there is no judgement.
      Really appreciate that and the warm welcome.

I made a year's worth of mistakes before I got on here. I also had just switched growing mediums (went from hydro to amended soil). Now I have a tent in flower that should give me well over a pound, and should hopefully be pretty consistent every couple months. I've always said the only bad mistakes are the ones you don't learn from. Guessing you learned from this and probably aren't going to do it again, so in my book you're doing good. That said, welcome to GWE and happy growing.

Comment

• bettybird
      bettybird commented
      Editing a comment
      So true, thanks for the support.
      5 days after the incident and I am hopeful that all is not lost.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I've thought about this and maybe the lights might have negative effect on leaves with that spray? I'm wondering if a light shower of plain PH and kept out of the light or not directly under it would be OK? Good luck hopefully they'll be OK once they get flushed maybe stalled them alittle ? Sorry i'm just guessing now i'm gonna just let someone else help on this one.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• starramus
      starramus commented
      Editing a comment
      She said they were outside at the time, and it was hot and dry. Some insecticides react badly in high temps even insecticidal soap.

• bettybird
      bettybird commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey thanks for the insight.
      I was diligent in spraying in the evening (thinking of the bees and all).
      No light- put them in the greenhouse.
      The real issue was my ‘trigger’ finger... at the time I thought.... UMMMMM should they be this wet... short answer NO lol
      Anyways today they look a bit better some new growth at the top.
      Will post some pics shortly of the carnage!
      Thanks thanks everyone for every reply I do so appreciate the support

Hi Everyone
    Update with pics..
    Basically 3 plants started 8 weeks ago, Australia (spring time). Obviously they are in pots.
    I live in the mountains and we are in an awful drought- literally rains dust! They are in a greenhouse and full sun during the day
    Bugs seem prolific at the moment.
    I’m pretty isolated so getting supplies is a challenge, both physically and economically.
    Would appreciate any thoughts, as far as going forward- a) is there any hope that they will survive b) what insectides would be preferable to use should they recover.
    in particular I am seeing an a lot of ‘whiteflies’
    Thanks for the support and any advice gratefully appreciated.

Comment

Well bettybird ..they definitely didn't like that. But looking at your after carnage pics(lol) i think they'll pull thru. I can see some really new growth that seems to be coming in nice and green, not all deformed and curled. Your from down under(around 9000 miles or 15,000km's from me here in Canada)) so i dont know what products are available there. I have used a product called Safers 3 in 1 for thrips, it also controls white flies and many other pests and WPM and never had an issue burning plants). At the moment im using Lost Coast Plant Therapy which deals with a multitude of issues. So far im pleased with its results. Its out of Cali and cost me more to ship here to Canada than what the bottle cost? wtf. I done even wanna thing what it might cost you to get it shipped! Good luck..keep us posted
      Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
      Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
      6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
      Canna Coco/perlite
      General Hydroponics Flora Series
      Cal/Mag.

Tent
      Bruce Banner
      Kushy Kush
      2Cookies and cream

Comment

• SmashGuitar
        SmashGuitar commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like good news bettybird best of luck!

• homegrown
        homegrown commented
        Editing a comment
        Well@SmashGuitar, I tried several different remedies, Milk/water, Canola/dish soap/baking soda, Safers products, All worked pretty well but not great. I used milk/water for the end of my first grow..didnt want to spray chemicals on buds. but had to spray quite often..almost every water or three days.. With LCPT i only spray when i see an issue. at this point, mostly WPM. Around once every 7-14 days.

• SmashGuitar
        SmashGuitar commented
        Editing a comment
        It sounds like it is worth it homegrown i want it!

Yes it’s amazing isn’t it... that it all seems ‘accessible’ until the check out... then you think gee whiz!
      And SmashGuitar they do taunt ya so... buggers!
      Homegrown- I hear you with the alternate remedies... saw baking soda and even ‘chilli and garlic’ as possible solutions...
      Unfortunately the climate here is so dire at the moment I’m almost certain the pests would gobble anything up... especially since they sound like they should be in a stir fry lol.
      I even inhaled a slow moving fly... you can imagine how delightful that was (for both me and the fly!)....
      Are pests just as bad in an indoor grow?

Comment

• dphipps1020
        dphipps1020 commented
        Editing a comment
        So far I haven't had any problems with pests and I've been doing indoor grows for a little over a year. Although, it's been hydro up until a few months ago so maybe that's why. Soil now though and so far no issues.

Hi bettybird sometimes depends on type of indoor soil. Seems like as soon as its watered some dormant little fly will hatch overnight you got problems. Indoor has issues at times with bugs and flys. FYI take care good luck
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Thanks for the replies, and info about the indoor grows/ methods.
        Appreciated

Comment

bettybird what are you using for your soil? Is it light and airy? You might consider mixing in some perlite but you may already have a very dense root structure you won’t want to disturb. Just looking closely at you pictures. In fact, the first two looked so normal I was a bit surprised, but then it hit #3...wow

Comment

• bettybird
            bettybird commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Farmall.
            Yes the soil is pretty light and airy. I will look at the perlite option, going to the garden shop this weekend.
            Honestly the pics were better than I expected. Initially it was like a horror show- couldn’t bare to look at them. Poor things 😂
            The problem is really how to keep the pests away.. as it is absolutely horrendous here at the moment.
            Looking at planting some mint in an attempt to get the bugs to munch on them as an alternative... to be fair they are probably looking at the plants in there current state and thinking... move on quickly lol.

• Farmall
            Farmall commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe consider some marigolds. I did it with vegetable garden to keep bugs away
            Last edited by Farmall; 12-06-2019, 08:59 AM. Reason: a

Awesome thanks Farmall thought exactly the same... and have some in the greenhouse.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello bettybird (off subject) how's the fires we sent some fellas from Oregon to help fight the fires. Sad news from NZ.

Hey SoOrbudgal
          Yeah it’s pretty devastating here right now. Absolutely fantastic that people are coming to help. The fires aren’t too far from me and it is a very anxious time, especially since we are in a drought (seriously have less than 2 years of drinking water left)....
          We are heading into extreme weather in the next couple of days... going to get to almost 50 degrees (not sure what that is in your temp- all I know is it’s frigging HOT)
          Really appreciate the thoughts though, and thankful for the help hands.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Our thoughts are with you here in Oregon, it's a helpless feeling we know. I will send the rain goddess your way

My personal go to for over feed/spray/bugs whatever, is generally to spray off all the leaves with water. Flush the pots with clear water. Give them time to dry out a bit, then give them a nice worm casting and molasses drink, allow them to take that up then resume feeding schedule. Anytime you have issues, I would rather it be past the first 28 days, like you are. I think all will recover, one may be a little off. I absolutely love the people here. No one has been condescending or mean in any way. Tons of great advice! Watch for bananas forming in the plant with the most damage, you may have a few to pluck, enjoy your grow
          I bet Bob Marley's mansion
          has a garden in the back
          Where he's growing something special
          Some celestial homemade hash
          we'll sit down on his front porch
          And listen to the angels band
          Until then I'll sing I'll fly away with a fat onefin my hand

Comment

• bettybird
            bettybird commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome advice Woodsman.
            They are recovering better than I expected. Seems like they are as forgiving and non judgemental as everyone here.
            I totally appreciate each and every response - that people kindly take the time to read AND reply is really nice.
            So thanks

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X