Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR GJ3: Wizard's 7th grow and first with coco

Mornin' everyone,

After finishing up my fall grows, I've disinfected the entire grow room, supplies, and tent to the best of my abilities (WPM). Decided to change it up since my nutes were low and try a coco grow. I believe this is my 7th grow and have been pretty happy with my soil results but just felt like mixing it up. I followed the GWE tutorial to rehydrate the bricks overnight w/ tap water and Cal-Mag. Just need to PH and add the perlite, add to the fabric pots. Here's the grow info. Any coco tips are welcome! I'll be using GWE's nute schedule as well. The seeds were sprouted in a paper towel and are now in rapid rooters. I am going to skip the solo cup / small planter and put it straight into the 5 gallon. Never had any problems with this.

2 x 4 x 5 grow tent
    6" inline fan w/ carbon filter (passive air intake)
    Two 6" fans in tent for airflow
    260w Niemi LED w/ LM301H
    Coco coir w/ perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Trio plus CaliMagic

1x Spliff Seeds CBD Spliff Berry Feminised Seeds
    1x CBD Crew CBD Yummy Feminised Seeds
    2 x 4 x 5 grow tent
    Two 6 fans in tent for airflow
    260w Niemi LED w/ LM301H

Hi WizardsNThings i am almost 7 weeks into my 1st coco grow with NL x blue berry and WW autos. I am impressed. I followed Nebula's tutorial exactly https://www.growweedeasy.com/coco-coir I water until the fabric pot feels light but im currently battling Fungus Gnats. I am sure they came from pre made coco soil from a local hydro store! Good luck! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1032.JPG
Views:	468
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	352843Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1033.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	352844
    Vivosun 2 X 4 X 5 grow tent
    Viparspectra 450W and 300W LED
    Vivosun 4" inline duct fan with carbon scrubber
    2 small 6" fans
    Promix HP
    GH Flora Trio with CalMag

Comment

Subbed to see these CBD thanks for posting this strain. Good luck with the grow.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Day 6: Nothing too exciting. They are going preeeeeeetty slow but not worried about it. It's winter here, so humidity in the tent is around 29% but temp is around 73.
      2 x 4 x 5 grow tent
      260w Niemi LED w/ LM301H

Comment

the thing with coco and I grow in coco. is that if you dont have a run off then salts build up in your coco and will cause lock out ,I got to a point where I flushed the girls once a month . then I decided to install a auto feeding system ,They really like getting fed 4 times a day
        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• WizardsNThings
          WizardsNThings commented
          Editing a comment
          I've only given nutes once, but I did go to run off on both.

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          I grew a couple of years watering coco every 3 days it works ,so have fun if you ever get to a point where you want to try an auto watering /drain system let me know I still have a parts list

• WizardsNThings
          WizardsNThings commented
          Editing a comment
          Appreciate it!

Day 11: Seems like they have barely changed in 5 days since my last post. They look kind of weird and definitely seem to be going slow. Not sure if it's the seeds or something else. Didn't have any issues with this setup last time, but this is the first time in coco.
        2 x 4 x 5 grow tent
        260w Niemi LED w/ LM301H

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm to hot? but i'm not sure hopefully they just hit a tiny bump and turn the corner.

• WizardsNThings
          WizardsNThings commented
          Editing a comment
          It's 72 and the light is about 20". Didn't have issues in the last grow but maybe I can raise it up a bit while they are so young.

As long as you precharged the coco with cal/mag unlike me with my first coco grow I am not sure.

Comment

• WizardsNThings
          WizardsNThings commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep did. Just have to wait and see what happens

I think you'll like Coco, Wizard. Hard to over-water and I've had minimal pest problems. As you probably already know, your plants are establishing their Root System and will "Take Off" when they're done.

Good luck with your grow!
        3'x3'x6' Cool Grow Tent and Large Wooden Cabinet
        3 and 5 Gallon Fabric Pots
        Coco Coir with 30% Perlite
        2-450 watt Vipar Spectra LEDs
        4" Exhaust with Vivosun Fan and Carbon Filter
        6" Oscilatting Fan
        GH Flora-Trio Nutes with Cal-Mag and GH Liquid Kool Bloom

"Why Do You Keep Banging Your Head Against That Wall?"
        "'Cause It Feels So Good When I stop"

Comment

My 2 cents is that you started in too big a container. I tried that too and my girls took forever to grow. Started a couple in a solo cup and they grew at least twice as fast after germination. That could account for stunted growth. They''ll bounce back when the roots grow out enough and they will look great i bet!

Comment

• WizardsNThings
            WizardsNThings commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve done this on all my grows with no problems but maybe I got lucky on the past ones.

• Tersky
            Tersky commented
            Editing a comment
            I cant comment on soil, which is what i am guessing your previous grows were in from the title, but this is just what i have found to be easiest in coco for me. I might cut a clear plastic bottle like a water bottle in half and put it over the seedling like a humidity dome for a little bit.

• WizardsNThings
            WizardsNThings commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah it was soil. I'll keep that in mind next time if I do coco. I followed the GWE tutorial which didn't really say either way was better. The dome is a good idea. One is already perking up

Day 15: One of them is definitely perking up. The other looks like it's starting too as well but is a bit slower. Think they'll be fine
          2 x 4 x 5 grow tent
          260w Niemi LED w/ LM301H

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Finally got comfy in their new digs eh Wizards? They are going to start growing faster now I bet they double size in a week?

• WizardsNThings
            WizardsNThings commented
            Editing a comment
            That's the plan!

Day 22: After a week the Spliff Berry has maybe tripled in size, and the Yummy has maybe doubled but the Yummy isn't looking that great. Just isn't taking off yet. The both seem to have a light green coloring that most other plants I've grown didn't have (in soil). Some sort of deficiency or maybe the strain?
          2 x 4 x 5 grow tent
          260w Niemi LED w/ LM301H

Comment

Day 27: Still pale green and the Yummy continues to falter. I looked at my other journal and as expected, at 27 days my other plants were huge and almost ready to flip. Couldn't say if that was because it was soil or the seeds themselves. I feel like it's unlikely to be the coco since it seems to be THE medium to grow in if not doing hydro. I am highly considering pulling the small plant. and starting a new non-low cbd/thc strain and seeing if it catches up and can flip both at the same time. I could just end up with one plant super far behind though if it turns out not to be the seed. Opinions?
            2 x 4 x 5 grow tent
            260w Niemi LED w/ LM301H

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Wizards i'm at a loss to figure this one out? Maybe it's just adjustment burp by plants during growth spurts. I've had them stall and see no changes for a week to 10days very bothersome, then just take off. I think if you did start another seed of course it would be 1month behind so you could do a staged harvest? Just sayin, your call of course. Good luck and they have good color seem healthy, I think it's a burp/bump.

• WizardsNThings
              WizardsNThings commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I will leave it and see what happens, but also start one of the free fem seeds I've gotten from my last orders in the tent. That way if the small one takes off, I can just leave the other in there and have a small other plant to harvest that I don't care that much about. Or, if the Yummy just doesn't grow, I can pull and swap. Although I don't have more coco so it would need to be in soil

Compare soil vs coco grow interesting
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• WizardsNThings
              WizardsNThings commented
              Editing a comment
              I lied! I do have coco ha. Well if I do soil then I won't really know if it was the seed or the coco! I know the Fox Farm has worked great.

Day 33: Things appear to finally be moving along in the tent. Both are very short and dense, possibly strain, possibly light being close. I've had no light burnt with the quantum board at about 15" but decided to raise it a bit to stretch the plants a tad. I did some LST on the spliff berry as the leaves were huge and thick, blocking light to the bottom. The Yummy is finally growing but not going to stress it yet. Hopeful this will turn into a great yield but looks like it'll be a bit slower than usual. I did throw a fem Gorilla Glue free seed into a 1 gallon fabric pot w/ fox farm soil just to have in the corner for the hell of it. I added a bit more cal mag to my last two nute watering and I think it's making them more green-green than yellow green.
            2 x 4 x 5 grow tent
            260w Niemi LED w/ LM301H

Comment

Day 40: Sooooo I caved and transplanted the small plant to soil a couple days ago. The size difference may become an issue in flowering but I can just keep training the big one down. I topped that in a few more spots and it's really thriving. Hope the small one picks up. The bigger one looks a bit unruly but I didn't want to go to heavy on defoliation when they had a hard time growing early on.
              2 x 4 x 5 grow tent
              260w Niemi LED w/ LM301H

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X