water temp in hydro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water temp in hydro

Hello, what can you do to lower temp in my hydro,i have exhaust fan, 2 fans,i am using LEDS but even with them my temp is staying around 80 in my tent so the water is staying the same temp, i occasionly open the tent to let in some cooler air but once i close it up it goes back to 80, if i have phd water frozen can is it o.k. to put in cold water or ice water to bring down the temp,i am trying to prevent from buying a cooling unit,P.S. i do have live culture in the water,i am using HYDROGUARD and the roots look o.k. just do not know what the long term affect on the roots will be if it stays at the high temp. any suggestions will be appreciated,
    Thank you.

My room is 80's and the water temp during lights on is about 65 degrees, if you try ice cubes make sure you ph the water I haven't done this but don't shock them with to much
    Bubblehead
    4x4 Gorilla Tent 600 watt hps and Veg Tent T5 Fluorescence
    4 Cures and a Life time gardener
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ze-these-leafs
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...female-56-days

Comment

Thank you Karlee,i will try the ice cube or a bottle of frozen water in the bucket and i will go slow,trying fans directly on the bucket and may try a white bucket,my bucket is brown and heating up.

Comment

• Karlee
        Karlee commented
        Editing a comment
        Good thought my tubs are gray maybe yours are retaining heat. I was very worried about temps starting out my basement is 59 degrees never changes
        evening before lights went out it was 64.4 degrees in tub and this morning temp right after light came on was 58 . I have a hanna Pen that takes the water temp.

Hmm my temps are waaaay lower than that (71-73) and my water feels quite cold when it comes out the rings but i haven't seen shock!Now on the roots part im also starting to wonder as the roots are coming straight out the pebbles through the drain system in the tank,with my temps and my pump in there i think i will have trouble saving the roots from damage!Please keep this thread posted on root reaction/damage from temps,it will be very helpful for many of us!!

P.S im growing in a Wilma system which is a drip irrigation system
      Tent : 4x4

HPS/MH
      600W

LED
      2x Viparspectra v300

Substrate
      BioBizzLight Mix
      Felt Pots 15/25L

Advanced Nutrients
      Grow , Micro , Bloom , B-52
      Bud Ignitor , Big Bud, Overdrive
      CalMag Xtra

Completed Journals
      Nartak's 1st Grow - Canna Nutes - HPS 600W

Comment

Originally posted by jpsully View Post
        Hello, what can you do to lower temp in my hydro,i have exhaust fan, 2 fans,i am using LEDS but even with them my temp is staying around 80 in my tent so the water is staying the same temp, i occasionly open the tent to let in some cooler air but once i close it up it goes back to 80, if i have phd water frozen can is it o.k. to put in cold water or ice water to bring down the temp,i am trying to prevent from buying a cooling unit,P.S. i do have live culture in the water,i am using HYDROGUARD and the roots look o.k. just do not know what the long term affect on the roots will be if it stays at the high temp. any suggestions will be appreciated,
        Thank you.
        Hi JP, I'm a hydro grower, I have a self-contained grow box and on my current second grow, I got some root rot from the water getting too warm. I opened a new bottle of Hydroguard and I'm keeping the room temperature around 70; otherwise, the reservoir water gets out of the good range. What I was doing was closing the door to my grow room, and it got too warm in there, so I'm keeping the door open and the roots have been looking great since I increased cool air flow into the room. I don't know if you are able to increase air circulation from outside to inside the tent...??????
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• jpsully
          jpsully commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the info,i have been out for a while with surgery,i am trying everything to keep the water temp down,frozen water bottles, opening the doors,fans blowing directly on the bucket,the water bottles work o.k. but a hassle changing out every few hours,when i open the door or vents my humidity drops along with the temp, so i will battle thru it this grow and do some reading see what i can do for next years grow, this is the first time growing indoors and only going to grow once a year indoors, during summer i grow outdoors and let mother nature do the work.p.s. i also use the Hydroguard and even with the high temps my roots are staying clean and no rot but i think the warm water is stunting the growth because the plant is not getting enough oxygen in the warm water even though i have 2 good air stones in the bucket,i also read that a larger capacity bucket will help keep temps down.we will see.Again thanks for the info.

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey jp, may you have a speedy recuperation from your surgery!!!!!

I use 1 pint plastic bottles frozen. They can lower the reservoir (6 gal.) by several degrees (usually around 10 to 15 deg.). I use smooth sided bottles and leave room for expansion of the ice. Leave the caps loose during freezing and close them tight to prevent contamination of the reservoir water. I try to keep my grow area around 75 - 80 deg. F (air temperature) and only need to change out the ice bottles about every 3 to 4 hours during the 'lights on' cycle, and rarely at night. I use a digital thermometer in the reservoirs and change out the ice bottles when the temperature reaches 70 deg.. I try to keep the water temperature from going below around 62 deg.F.
        Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Very helpful info. Thanks!!

• DW2
          DW2 commented
          Editing a comment
          I forgot to mention the 'crazy' thing that I do to help control the reservoir temperature down, (NO! it does not involve sacrificing little animals or anything like that! (lol)) but I wrap the outside of the tank with the large diameter bubble wrap (flat or smooth side against the tank). When you quit laughing, it does insulate the tank and help to keep the 'cool' inside.

• jpsully
          jpsully commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, i will try anything once,see what happens,

I bet you get to pop all the bubbles huh?

Comment

• DW2
          DW2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Through long and intensive counseling sessions, I have reduced the 'poppage' to a minimum. No, really, I don't have a problem, just one or two every now or then, really! LOL

When I did my first indoor grow last spring, I didn't realize that it would be almost Aug. before they finished. My closet grow temps would hover in the mid-upper 80's and rez temps would be almost 80. Luck and Hydrogard are the only reasons she survived. I'd say that as long as you can prevent any rot issues then do the best you can. I only do a single grow each year timed for the winter-I'm in week 3 of my grow this year.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          I had the same kind of situation on my first grow, and with Hydroguard, the roots stayed healthy. My girls were in full flower when the power went out for a week! I had to drain my reservoir and hand water, and just give them light from a window facing the street! They survived.

We try to create the ideal situation for our plants, but we gotta remember that they can survive just fine in less than ideal conditions. They are weeds, after all.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X