Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hash oil solvent

Hi all,
    First time poster, but I've been reading the site and forum though my first real grow. Without you guys I never woulda been able help these girls get big and sticky, so thanks all!

Y'all even inspired me to have a winter closest grow, but the pictures below are New England outdoor (harvested 10/9)😁.

My question is about hash oil. I see in the tutorial it says higher proof ethanol the better. I was thinking of using denatured alcohol, this is usually 95% ethanol, with 5% methanol to keep folks from drinking it.

Methanol evaporates before ethanol, and I do plan to evap all the ethanol as well.

Has anybody done this?

Is it a horrible idea?

Thanks again for all help and information.

I use Everclear. It has been expensive, but no where near as expensive as buying FECO. I would like an alternative that is just as safe. Will. Be following
    I bet Bob Marley's mansion
    has a garden in the back
    Where he's growing something special
    Some celestial homemade hash
    we'll sit down on his front porch
    And listen to the angels band
    Until then I'll sing I'll fly away with a fat onefin my hand

Comment

just be sure it doesnt contain any bittering agent like Denatonium

Comment

D enatured alcohol is ethanol (ethyl alcohol) made unfit for human consumption by adding one or more chemicals (denaturants) to it. Denaturing refers to removing a property from the alcohol (being able to drink it), not to chemically altering or decomposing it, so denatured alcohol contains ordinary ethyl alcohol
        Kinda says it all don't it.
        Focus and relativity.

Comment

Denatured alcohol also has die in, green or blue is what I see,,,,

Comment

For years i used isopropyl 97% from walmart, works fine. Now a friend of mine brings me 1 gal. mason jars from his work and its 99.7% isopropyl. Personally I would rather rosin it using a press, but I do know some people with severe physical ailments that just love the RSO I make so I still run it. I LOVE smoking the flower, call me nostalgic, but when i do dab its strictly rosin...hmu if you want the recipe for RSO.

Comment

Thanks for the input.
              I have seen it clear but that was years ago.
              Good to know isopropyl works, I may go that route.

Comment

Isopropyl alcohol does a great job or Everclear. no need to use denatured alcohol unless it is an issue of access.

Comment

Hi jimi, I personally would never want to use poison like isopropyl for anything going in my body. I read in the NYTimes that harsh and poisonous chemicals are responsible for the rash of folks getting sick and even dying from vaping tainted products.

I use Everclear 190 proof and distill it down to an oil or a concentrated tincture using an ExtractCraft Source machine.
                  Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
                  2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
                  Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Please dont use iso . Like others have posted everclear is the best. If you cant get everclear you can actually find sites that sell ethanol at a decent price. can even buy it in bulk from places like this.. https://42oextractor.com/?fbclid=IwAR3yDbNjrLqTd5gtD-R2TGx27CsRciwn95XS2Pap6lQyFAQQgSxSnQJzsUg.

640 watt hlg quantum board
                    320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
                    300 watt mars hydro sp3000
                    150 watt hlg quantum board
                    100 watt spider farmer led x2
                    organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
                    Water only i don't check ph
                    6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

• Farmall
                      Farmall commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This site literally priced 1 gallon for the same price as 1/2 gallon of Everclear 190

• Cloud
                      Cloud commented
                      Editing a comment
                      price depends on where you live. I can get 1/2 gallon for 10 bucks cheaper on that site but the shipping changes that and not everyone can get everclear.

• alltatup
                      alltatup commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, Everclear 190 is not available everywhere. One of the benefits of living in this redneck southern state...

jimicloudstuff i like your pictures... I don’t care for using any non food grade solvents....I’m no one’s guinea pig. AND, talk about being right out in the open, must be nice

Comment

• jimicloudstuff
                      jimicloudstuff commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks. As far as it in the open, sometimes the darkest spot is right under the lantern 😁. That said they won't be so visible next year, lol.

Here is the issue, anything that is not food grade quality can contain contaminants. It’s not as much about what you know is in there, it’s more about what you don’t know about.
                    Food grade quality manufacturing has controls engineered into their processes. This eliminates contamination from equipment used to process the raw ingredients. Like oil from motors and compressors. Lubricants for bearings, this sort of thing. Anything that is not made with the intention of human consumption may contain unhealthy contamination in it.
                    Better to stay away from that than take the risk my friend.
                    Last edited by Toker1; 11-12-2019, 09:24 PM.
                    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
                    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
                    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
                    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
                    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

So... Hows about bvv extractor 710 "high purity extraction grade solvent E-710-55? "completely denatured alcohol 12-A and n-heptane. Anyone try this?

Comment

I think it could. I also see 99.9% pure iso on Amazon. I do understand the food grade concern, but I can't get anything better than 151 here. I suppose there's always a still : ).

Comment

• Toker1
                          Toker1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Amazon sells ethanol as well

4x4 600w HID empty for summer
                        3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
                        2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
                        running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
                        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X