Flowering light for 4x4 grow tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flowering light for 4x4 grow tent

I've been researching flowering lights and I need advice from growers using tents. I have 4 plants looking to flower soon and I am getting confused trying to figure out how a light like the VIPARSPECTRA 600w can reach all my girls. Does one do the job or do you really need 2? Are 2 600w overkill and could the job get done with 2 450w? TYIA.

Those are par values. Don’t go by those. Go by actual draw from the wall. You may need more than 2 of these cheap LED lights. Personally, I would drop the purple-blue LED lights for some white light quantum board LED lights.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Toker1 makes good points. I’m running a Nexlight Mega (650 watts at the wall) for veg and flower in a 4x4 and having great results. It’s pricey but paid for itself with first grow!
      4’x4’x6 1/2’ tent, Nextlight Mega, Roots Organics 707 soil in 5 gallon square plastic planters, GH Flora Series Performance Pack nutes alternated with Fish Sh!t in RO water

Comment

I have 2 600 watt Viparspectras, but for flowering I prefer the brute force of HPS. A 600 watt should do you. https://www.amazon.com/Replace-4X300...s%2C201&sr=8-4 The law of diminishing returns does apply to the pricier LEDs.

Comment

I chose mine do to cost and never having grown indoors. I had a budget of under $300 for tent and lights and all the gadgets I needed to get going. I started with a 3x3x6 tent and 1 450 vipar. Did 2 photos took about 4months start to finish. Turned out very well, we were happy. Next I bought a 4x4x8 tent wanted to have more ( who wouldn't) and I bought another 450 vipar. Not the latest greatest LED but it was simple easy to figure the light pattern out. Each light draws about 200watts from the wall. I have grown 6autos at a time in 3gal pots and 4 photos at a time in 5gal.
          Yes I move them around change postions of the pots until they get to big. I've never lowered the lights just moved the pots up or down on risers. It may take more time with these lower end LEDs but I've been very pleased with them and so far have gotten 3yrs+ use for $115 each. Quiet and low heat. I like them.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• susieqtpie83
            susieqtpie83 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. About how far do you set your lights away from the plants during flower?

susieqtpie83 some of those LED's come with ratchet hangers and will allow you to easily raise or lower the source lighting to any position you'd like. Budget plays a HUGE role in lights and unless youre prepared to spend $700-$1200. for a light, try starting out with one of the inexpensive ones. see if itsd a long term thing for you.

Comment

susieqtpie83 right now I have 4 photos approx. 2months old since sprouted. They are on risers 3" and top of canopy of plant to LED lights is 30" I just today flipped the lights both bloom and veg on to 12/12. The plants from soil to top of canopy they are 10". I've done LST and toped 1x. I've bent and tied down stem arms to keep them that low for now I unleash them after they have done stretching. When they do flower I will pull the branches away from the center more and angle off the sides. I'm going to try and keep them within 18" of flower light towards the end. That's a big maybe I've got some bleached being too close once so i would like 18"20" top of cola to lights. I think there pretty good lights. Yes you could use yo yo hangers on them to lower if needed. Lots of ways to rig lights. Sorry for so much blabber, somewhere i think i answered your question.

indoor/outdoor grower
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to

Comment

What I've learned over the past 3 years growing with LEDs is that older style 'blurple' diodes need approx. 50 watts of power used for each sq foot of floor space. Current spec diodes can achieve the same light level at 30 watts/ sq ft. Economy fixtures like the Vipar aren't as efficient as HPS lights, so it will actually generate more heat in your tent as the same wattage of HPS. Stepping up to an HLG, Timber, PLC or similar pre-made fixture is the easiest but if you can strip some wire and turn a screwdriver, something like this is a BUNCH cheaper.
              WHAT???
              5x5 grow space
              900w of Vero's and F-strips
              4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• Farmall
                Farmall commented
                Editing a comment
                Now your talking...👍Used PLC strips myself 40 of ‘em

Oh I totally agree gbauto the world of LED grow lights are changing yearly. But i'm just a simple hobby grower and these work for my needs. Yes I can turn a screwdriver, run a chainsaw log splitter, gut animals and skin. LOL I got enough on my plate for now, don't want to learn how to be electrician at this point. KISS and these lights do just that easy peasy. When these go belly up I will forsure look into a better system.

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

Originally posted by SoOrbudgal View Post
                Yes I can turn a screwdriver, run a chainsaw log splitter, gut animals and skin
                Now THAT is my kind of woman.... those traits have been advertised out of women by Oil of Olay, L’Oréal, Revlon, my wife went from country farm girl to city girl in about 5 years. And that was 35 years ago... evolution, phooey. 😇

Comment

LOL Ma Hatfield that's me except my house is cleaner and I don't use a washboard down by da river

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X