• Show
Clear All

What type of trimming shears?

Straight or curved trimming shears?
    also, which brand ones are best?
    thanks

Curious about this myself.

Comment

Sharp ones for sure. I use straight pointed scissors I use shear to cut branches and large fans outdoor weed plants. I also have some curved surgical blunt end scissors work well in getting close to buds. But do have a couple sets of scissors along with 70% iso. alcohol to clean with. I don't have a clue what brand they are just good sharp scissors and shears and you can condition them with oil veggie oil or non stick spray prior to cutting and trimming boy they clean up easy doing that. Good luck. Enjoy your grow.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Fiskars 399211-1001 6" Micro-Tip Pruner, Non-Stick Blades, Gray

Comment

• WizardsNThings
          WizardsNThings commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely the best

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          It's hard to beat Fiskars,

• starramus
          starramus commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes that's what I have used, but I am cheap. Fiskars do last awhile however I am going to try these Vivosun out which are a bit more economical. I have had good luck with the Vivosun brand. https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Garde...3W1Q4ARST6F6WT

I can vouch for these being good: VIVOSUN Gardening Hand Pruner Pruning Shear with Titanium Coated Curved Precision Blades (2Pack Curved Blade). I have 4 pr so I can switch while trimming (and get help!) as they gum up with resin.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1XVD1Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also I always have " Swan Isopropyl Alcohol 99 Percent" on hand (a few bottles) and soak them and switch them to keep the trimming moving along. Or for cleaning before any defole or clone takes so as to have clean bug-free blades:

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          i use one just like that but from a generic brand of the hydro store i got it from

I had bought 4pair of the Fiskars that kingfish posted, they're all still in excellent working order. Not that I treated them that well. A bud purchased a curved set, it's a bit of preference. Years ago I would switch between the two, but I do lean towards the straights more.

A little easier to shape your buds with the straight set, where the curved can trim the stems to fan leafs very close.
        Last edited by MeestaFeesha; 10-24-2019, 06:54 PM. Reason: Leaves Leafs
        Meesta's Grow
        2019 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-meesta-s-grow

2020 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ta-s-2020-grow

Comment

curved follow bud shape lil better. straight are less fussy in that both sides can be used .

Comment

• Farmall
            Farmall commented
            Editing a comment
            Got both and the curved ones do fit nicely around the buds curve

• billyboy
            billyboy commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the curve

Click image for larger version

Name:	trimmers.JPG
Views:	814
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	344889

The orange shears are Chicamasa brand, the best darned sugar leaf trimmers on the planet.

I keep the sturdier pair around for thicker branches and cutting down at harvest.
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I like the fisker micro straight blades. But also use my grandpa's old WISS kitchen shears. Which got me curious about them. I can remember him having them for as long as I can remember (lol). Found some old ads,guessing they are about this age-,in 1950 they cost $2.50, by 1958 they were up to $2.95!! (unreal-these are heavy duty shears, not serrated though)
            These just make trimming weed a "jiffy" (lol) PS: I may detect a bit of sexism in the ad Not sure if men are supposed to really use these.
            Last edited by GreenState; 10-26-2019, 10:12 AM.
            "That's your fortress of fucking solitude. That puts you, for the rest of your life, at a level of fuck you. Somebody wants you to do something, fuck you. Boss pisses you off, fuck you! Own your house. Have a couple bucks in the bank. Don't drink"

Comment

I have traditional trimmers but for trimming bud these are my fave. Real easy to get sugar leaves ect. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	71MT9xbMTdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	345144

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
                D.A.A.S.69 commented
                Editing a comment
                Tersky I got 2 of those, they work great ,if your looking for sack appeal, You can really do a professional job ,with those.
                I still use mine occasionally, but I mostly use Fiskars, cause I don't get serious with the trimming ,anymore. Lol

I try to be in the right frame of mind also when we start the trimming. I can't be stoned at all, I treat it as a job I have to do and get it done LOL. Towards the end of work we get sloppy look at the last few branches fire up a doobie and some buds look like shit gets pretty funny looking at them hanging with different shapes in the jars you sure can tell who was high and who wasn't.
              Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
              indoor/outdoor grower
              1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
              Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
              Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I have used both curved and straight blade, and I prefer curved. I also look at trimmers as disposable-get a few sets and keep them in rotation sitting in a cup of alcohol to keep them clean while you're trimming.
                WHAT???
                5x5 grow space
                900w of Vero's and F-strips
                4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• Farmall
                  Farmall commented
                  Editing a comment
                  gbauto I agree with your disposable plan. Have you reached a point on the number of plants you might use the trimmers on and then deciding it’s time to toss them? I have not seen major differences yet in Fiskars versus a Really cheap copy and so far, they both seem ok.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X