Cutting roots same pot transplant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting roots same pot transplant

I'm looking for something a little different to do with my current plants.
    Back when I took care of my grandma's yard I would cut a bit of around the root ball before transplanting to dirt or pot. She taught me something about the plant growing more roots. I was thinking about doing the same thing to one of my weeds and putting it back in the same pot. Maybe start a seed in a 4" pot and keep it in there with the same treatment.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Nothing good ever comes from messing with the plants roots. Especially when they're seedlings. We are talking about Marijuana here.

Comment

I am going to try it on some test plants i have for the solo cup challenge. Just some bagseed but they are only a week old so they gotta grow a bit. It is not so far fetched tho. Thats how you make bonsai trees. Im sure if it's healthy enough and you dont cut too much then it should be ok, but disclaimer: have never tried it. It would probably not be a good idea during late flower but during veg and early flower shouldnt be too much a problem i would think. Now being in a smaller container means smaller yield so take that into consideration of course.

Comment

I have done it with root bound non-cannabis, rough up the root ball and up pot.

Comment

I'm not so worried about yield. Just about the high adventure.
          Tersky Just thoughts about bonsai. As I understand, the bonsai plant is taken from an older plant with a well established root ball. Much of the tap root is taken to make the root ball shorter. The root ball in a 4" pot would grow a nice ball in ?? days with more room for the tap root.
          A small weed plant that gets it's ball shaved will grow more feeder roots as well.
          I've seen people do bonsai plants on GWE. That's not what I'm going for. It's real neat but not for me.
          Fabric pots sort of do what I'm talking about, yeah? They don't let the plant get rootbound? The smallest fabric pot I can find in a 15 second google is 1 gallon. It wouldn't take much to resize that down to a 4" pot. Maybe I could do the shaved ball and a small bag.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

• Tersky
            Tersky commented
            Editing a comment
            I use fabric pots in my coco grows mainly so the plant doesnt get root bound so yes to that question.

I was referring to caring for a bonsai, not really starting one. Every now and then you have to trim the roots to make sure it doesnt get rootbound if you want to keep the plant in the same pot. I dabbled in bonsai for a bit but they grow too damn slow for me lol.

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, me and patience are bitter enemies. Other than the root shaving I would grow this just as I do all my others. Maybe a different light cycle. Single stalk with one bud below the cola.
            I read somewhere that ficas benjamina are the only plants that do well as indoor bonsai without all the extra care.

If you have ever kept a mother long enough, then you would have to trim the roots back. It’s part of the long term relationship of mother plant up keep. Been doing that for years.
          4x4 600w HID empty for summer
          3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
          2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
          running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X