Lessons I've Learned this Past Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lessons I've Learned this Past Summer

Got a rant built up about something that really got under your skin this past summer?

Something you did wrong but could have prevented it?

Or how about a new lesson you learned?
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

I thought I had spider mites. Toker1 diagnosed thrips on another plant in another thread. Turns out I had thrip. Thanks, T1. I removed the few leaves with thrips and haven't had a reoccurrence since. I know what to look for in the future.
    I found WPM on a plumeria I have on the patio. The next day I noticed a few fan leaves had the beginnings of WPM. Those were removed as well with good results. If I'm going to do anything to all my plants on the same day I'm going to take care of my three 'plants' first, outside plants second, change clothes and wash hands and arms real well. Treating the outside plants is as important as taking care of the inside plants because of airborne spores and bugs.
    I broke down and bought neem oil for the plumerias. I am a weak man.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

Had spider mites this summer because I got lazy. Now i shower every time before i go down there. I also make sure to not let my pets go down with me anymore.

Take precautions so you don't have these problems!
      Quadlining

Past Grows

Comment

• Gingerbeard
        Gingerbeard commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know the plumerias should be where they are. The humidity has been up and we get a moist, strong breeze. They do much better in people's yard. Everything else is pest free. The neem oil is going to keep happening. So is the washing and junk. This is an amazing grow for me and I don't want to get nasties.
        My upcoming lesson is going to be how to dry in humidity between 55 and 85.

Biggest lesson I learned was putting my expectations way up there. Too high - thought I could have 1000 grams in jars in storage for winter, turn off the tent for a few months. Heck - I had 11 plants growing at one time - just need a 100 grams per plant. No problem. Bigger plants I'll just put outside. No problem.
      Should have learned from last year all I get is 6 hours of sun in the south side. And it's getting less each year. No problem.
      Nothing but problems. 3 Bubba Cheese grew up to 20 inches before they had 5 nodes.
      The outside plants didn't have any pests but WPM - on and off.
      Bubba Cheese got turfed after about a month.
      Couple other plants harvested a bit early.
      All in all a disappointing summer for me.

Lesson I learned was to stick with what I have to use inside.
      One's gots to know ones limitations.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Heck Canuck147 it's hard to toss plants. I commented to another grower in our area how much I now dislike having too many large plants. This year has also been a revelation for me. I've come to my limit this season, could be that I just am tired and ready for a break. I don't think I want to grow huge plants, i'm happy with a 5-6ft well branched plant. Having to trim by hand 6-7 large plants and trying to prevent mold or WPM, worrying about direct sun having to move pots here and there farming MJ is a full time job with lots of plants. Yep I harvested 2 do to need and moldy spots. Next summer i'm getting more selective on which strain I grow and definitely how many. When to put them outdoors slowed my grow down, going to use 10gal pots only from here on out for outdoor, my back is tired. It's all about quality for me anymore. I don't want the stress of too many anymore and trying to keep up. I had lots of runts also.

• Canuck147
        Canuck147 commented
        Editing a comment
        My thoughts as well - quality counts more for me also.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X