No announcement yet.

s62’s Grow #2 - Auto Mania!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I left out the part about the supersoil grows have so far netted far far better smoke. Quality over quantity. The GSC and Statdawg grown in supersoil cant be beat for flavor anywhere. So I'll take 50grams of that over 200 grams of just good smoke.
    You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I’m with you on your calculus, for the most part. I just need to get enough girls going to yield ~350 grams every full grow cycle (or 3-4 months). Although if I do end up with a perpetual tent for autos (at least until I run out of seeds), I could get away with more like ~150 every two months. But I see you guys posting numbers that far outdo that, so I know I can get there.
      Last edited by s62; 11-04-2019, 10:45 PM.

I'm a DWC grower, but your plants look awesome, would love to have a set of those.
    Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
    A tale of two seeds
    Batter Up Sour Deisel
    Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
    New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
    Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, ragweed, I appreciate the compliment, especially from a respected grower such as yourself!

• RagWeedDWC
      RagWeedDWC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, but I feel like a rookie and being taught by the pros on this site.

s62
    do I remember right that you had a bug problem?
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny! I just got a sample bottle of this from the grow shop.
      Anytime you treat a plant with a product you run a risk of " stunting its growth" or worse.
      I just lost 4 plants after a round of spinosad followed by Neem with a heavy defoli to curb Thrips. So I would definitely add that to your list as a possibility. Your plants look great though, and it probably going to be some Fire.

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you plan on trying PureCrop1 out? Supposedly it should HELP plants grow, but it’s going to the suspect list nonetheless. Sorry to hear about your thrips

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      I won't use it unless the plants need another round for some reason.

If the more immediate availability of oxygen in a smaller pot is a factor, can increasing the perlite mix in the soil make a difference? Having done DWC, Regular FF soil and supersoil and only had autos grow by a mixup in packaging at the seed place, my photo plants, if allowed to veg longer have outpaced the autos 3 to 1. Last grow had autos average 240g whereas several photos exceeded 750g. Same exact soil and lights. In fact, not knowing the autos we even in there, they only had 18/6 and 12/12 on lights. The convenience of not mixing nutrients , for me, really outweighs yield. As Spidermite mentioned, the mellow smoke was a benefit to him in supersoil. I’ve not been able make that particular determination as I don’t smoke often. When reviewing the requirements for growing, their not all that unusual: light, air, nutrients, water and temperature. Obviously it’s that manipulation of these factors that impact outcomes. Problem is it takes a long time to test each change we try to make. Given the variables it could easily take 625 grow cycles and still not cover all of the possible differences. That’s more than 208 years... What? Maybe I need a new calculator?

Comment

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha, sounds right to me. I’m generally a fan of quality over quantity, and I love not having to mess with nutes. But I’ve gotta figure a solid way to hit 10-12oz consistently. I’ve got around 18 auto seeds left to play with, and if I can’t figure it out by then, it’s back to photos for me, I suspect. I’m thinking of putting up a second tent, and I’m also considering running coco under a QB in it. I’ll probably stick with supersoil in at least one tent. Private stash stuff, lol.

Very beautiful colas s62 you are only going to get better. I think these are outstanding autos, give yourself a pat on the back and enjoy your success. I think my quality of indoor improved after my 3rd attempt at photos grew just 2 very manageable. Then I went overboard and tried 6 autos in my 4x4 I messed up yield by playing around too much like they were photos, I have a hard time with hands off won't do that again. Your grow looks great. Enjoy
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Ma’am! They are pretty, even if a bit . . . wee, lol. Also, I’m a hands on guy, too, and this no training/defoliating thing sounds hard! I suspect I’ll still top the fastest growing one or two, I haven’t decided yet. And some mild LST. But that’s it, I promise! Hmmmm, unless . . .

I wish they would bring sm90 back. It worked great on almost any plant issue. And you could use it during flower with no issues. But for now it's off the shelves. I am almost out and am very sad.
    You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      Never used sm90. Why’d it get pulled?

• Spidermite
      Spidermite commented
      Editing a comment
      It was listed as a root wetting agent but sold as a pesticide/mold/fungicide

Day 70 Update
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0BC330B3-9505-47D6-B67F-517C80862A6B.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	613.7 KB
ID:	348590
    It’s hard to believe it’s been a week since my last update! The week sure did fly by. I guess that’s a blessing when you’re in a hobby that occurs on a monthly scale.
    With the exception of the GSC (it put on a smidge of height this past week), all my girls are just fattening now. The GSC is also fattening quite a lot too, but I’m hoping it hasn’t given up on being larger!
    I’m seeing lots of fall colors in my tent. The girls are definitely signaling that they are wrapping up. I only hope they all are ready to cut within the next 26 days, because then I’m leaving town for 3 weeks for an extended Christmas visit with family. I’ll have someone water the plants, but of course I won’t have them harvest or do anything major, so it would be nice to be done by then!

Six-Shooter

Name:	1CAF8111-B714-49A7-9495-50A5D3C129C7.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	509.2 KB
ID:	348591
    The Six-Shooter is the most mature plant. I could have harvested it this past week, except I’m allowing it to age and fatten up some. I’m not really a fan of couchlock, but I’m prioritizing yield over trichomes this time, for obvious reasons lol! Starting to show some crispy leaves, 20-30% amber at the tops of colas, and a new wave of white stigmas, signaling new bud growth.

White Widow XXL

Name:	08707C2D-4A9D-455D-B0A5-03F2EBCA13EC.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	546.4 KB
ID:	348592

The WW appears to be signaling her ultimate demise with some brilliant yellow leaves. She looking really healthy, if not XXL She’s still showing tons of white stigma; I haven’t even bothered looking at trichomes yet. She clearly needs another few weeks. But the colas are really starting to look nice and wide!

Name:	C44961E6-893D-4A6C-AB13-E7D3D5EF8D48.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	348594

Crystal METH:

Name:	0B29CF45-85D2-4B93-8909-D0303598118B.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	525.3 KB
ID:	348595

Crazy Crystal got to her current size/state pretty darn quickly, but she is taking her time to mature. Still throwing some white stigmas, so she appears to be getting fatter, but her bud structure is so strange! She grows her colas like foxtails. Just a few buds by the top, stacking skinny and tall. Can’t wait to smoke her.
    Also, she has the coolest purple trichome stalks you’ve ever seen!

GSC:

Name:	4AE8B26D-73D7-43E2-BE48-28CFC9B193D4.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	541.2 KB
ID:	348596

The underdog surges ahead! My GSC has the FATTEST buds at the terminal ends of the main colas. They are high, round, and puffy. Very different bud structure than the others, or than what I’m used to. I’m eager to break up on of the main buds, just to better understand its structure.
    I think the GSC may end up being a heavy (relatively) yielder. She’s small, too, but those colas are looking better and better! Great grapefruit smell, too. I’m just worried about when she’ll be ready, as she’s only on day 62.

Name:	8C999338-BAFE-49FC-B97E-3889BF706900.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	348597​​​​​​​
    Attached Files
    Gorilla 3x3
    LEC 315
    Kind Soil
    Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      s62 I do that too!! I will just sit there in the morning, sipping on tea, staring at the beautiful buds... And the closer you watch them, the more familiar you get with each stage of ripening. It feels like I know my girls and what they're doing so much better!!

• RagWeedDWC
      RagWeedDWC commented
      Editing a comment
      Just plain beautiful, keeping a close eye on your GSC

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks ragweed! I’ll take an extra pic or 5 of the GSC just for you next time!

Nice journal and grow s62. My first grow was of photos in soil and I did many things wrong and had very small plants with low yield and light buds. The smoke is decent and overall I was happy and satisfied.

Your soil /auto grow adventure however looks awesome. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, John! Posting is my pleasure. It’s a nice way to keep up with your own schedule and progress. Do you have one going?

Well done s62 I sure hope your timing works for you with your vacation. I'm sure you'll be able to harvest most looks like. That purple is something else, who knew we'd see this color strain today. If you'd of showed me this strain and said it was marijuana 40yrs ago i'd of said it was food color added to the water. My my how things are changing. Never smoked that purple/black bud, may need to see what the fuss is about go to the local dispensary check it out. Great job.

indoor/outdoor grower
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to

Comment

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I’ve had purple bud a couple times off the black market. Truth is, it gets ya high just like anything lol! But it sure does look cool. You wouldn’t believe the smell of Crystal. She smells of sweet, rich fruit. Almost like Fruity Pebbles or Fruit Loops cereal lol

Fruity Pebbles

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

When your finally trimming one of the bigger nicer fatter buds, it just feels so good in your hand.....

‘hey, watch it ...that not what I was thinking’

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL ya nut

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        lol farmall, I know what ya mean. My current record for intact cola weight is 7 grams (dry). Looking forward to seeing how these short fatties weigh up.

Day 73 Update
      I chopped down Six-Shooter! I finally decided I was seeing enough amber and size to go ahead and snip. I didn’t get an initial wet weight, but after ~14 hours of drying, I went ahead and weighed them. I got ~101 grams, which means I’ll likely have around an ounce once it’s dry. Oh well. Hopefully I’ll go bigger next time!

I will say this, though: her bud structure made her 1000% easier to harvest than my first grow. There was NO larfy, NO internodal space... she was basically all bud and sugar leaves, which is awesome. Trimming should be a bit easier too. I did 4 nugs wet, but I’ll do the rest dry.
      Gorilla 3x3
      LEC 315
      Kind Soil
      Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        s62 Fantastic pictures, especially of your little phattie!!! You did exactly what I'm going to try to do on next grow: NO LARFY BUD, PURE PHATTIES!!!!!

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! I was pleased at the lack of larfy and tedious trimming I had to do, but I’ll be honest: I’d take my larf back if it meant getting a proper sized plant with a proper yield!
        What I’m hoping is that I can learn to do both... I’d love to keep the plant structure from this grow, but also get big, healthy girls like you grow.

they're looking' mighty tasty, s62, and the pics are beautiful! Good job

Comment

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, duck man, kind of you to say so!

s62 I’ve discovered , for me, that wet trimming is easier and more complete. While the smaller leaves have value, they dry and curl or shrivel inward almost “hiding’ from the scissors. I try to save every bit of valuable material but never tested the ‘ leaves make the buds harsh’ statement because it all makes me cough like crazy unless ...like a fine alcohol, I just sip it in small light puffs. But that’s been the case since 1967. Looks to me like you’ll clear near 2 oz.

Comment

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, farmall, I was blown away at how easy the wet trimming was. Soooo much less tedious than dry trimming. But at the time I had to make that decision, my RH was down to ~35%, so I opted for mostly a dry trim. Of course, I went out and bought a humidifier yesterday so now it’s more like 50%, but it’s too late to wet trim. The leaves are already oriented down and are getting dry.

• Farmall
        Farmall commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually, I leave any well coated sugar leaf in place as well. When it’s cured, it’s difficult to see so it does curl up and dry up in there. I have the Pax3 and use it For concentrate that comes out of the source. My humidity levels this time of year are around 40-50% so drying in those paper bags really seems to work nicely

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re using a Source Turbo to make cannabis oil, and then you’re using your Pax 3 to vape it?
        That’s exactly what I want to try! I think I’m getting a Source Turbo sometime in the next few months. I’m definitely going to use it with trim, but I thought I might try some flower as well. Does it hit nicely in the Pax? How’s the flavor?

I've only done wet trimming as I've found it to be easy for me, although sticky more and I use 2 sets of scissors. And if my suger leafs are really coated I trim close but leave fair amount of leaf on seems like a waste of good frost to me to not use.

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        I definitely noticed that wet trimming gets the scissors way stickier than dry trimming. I’ve got two sets of scissors, and I made two bowls worth of scissor hash. It tastes so damn good, but didn’t get me that high, to be honest.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X