holes in lid for plastic tub hydro grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

holes in lid for plastic tub hydro grow

Hello everyone. I want to start a hydro grow in some sort of plastic tub. Something that has a lid that will stay in place, like lock. I think I can sort out the other parts of the grow but I can't get past how to get holes put in the lid. The idea is to use net pots with some sort of medium in it for the plants. I need to figure out a way to get holes in the plastic lid. I have absolutely zero handyman skills so a drill or anything like that is out of the question. Same with anything that involves burning or melting a hole in the lid. I think I can use tin snips to, quite literally, cut holes in the lid....BUT....how do I start the hole...? I'd like to have at least 4 of the net pots in the lid. They, the holes, will have to be fairly accurate so the new pots don't just fall through...anyone have any idea how i can do this.....??
    Last edited by 2william; 08-13-2019, 10:55 AM.

Howdy 2william, Using tin snips would be one of the most difficult ways to get holes for the net pots into a tote lid. I am using Sterilite 10 gallon totes (the darkest opaque color). I am using 3.75 inch net pots (six per tote lid). The holes need to be properly sized to allow a snug fit in the lid, or there will be a need to clamp them down to the lid to prevent the plants from leaning over when they get bigger. I use an adjustable hole saw (from Harbor freight), but a 'fixed' size hole saw will work as well. A 3 1/2 inch saw will make a snug fit for a 3.75 inch net pot, the net pots are tapered a little so they might set up a little bit above the surface. You could also use a jeweler's coping saw that has a frame depth long enough to reach the hole from the edge of the lid. You would still have to drill a starter hole in the lid to get the saw blade inside of the hole location.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

You can drill the hole with literally no skill required. Just ask a neighbor to borrow the equipment.
      What you are thinking about doing, is way more labor intensive. Just get the drill with hole saw adapter. Practice on a piece of wood first if you don’t feel confident. Once it’s all done and over, you will kick yourself because of how easy it actually is.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

When I put my 6" netlids in the yellow lid of my 17 gal black HDX tote, I drilled a small pilot hole inside of the disc you want to remove. A jigsaw follows the trace nicely and all that was left cleaned up with a bit of scraping.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Hi 2william if you really are tool adverse, you can cut the holes by scribing a circle on the lid with a compass and using a good utility knife. It's tedious, and you have to be really careful, but it can be done. Having said that, a $15 adjustable hole saw and a $35 battery powered screwdriver to turn it would pay for themselves in the time saved, and be safer.
          Space 1: 3ft x 3ft T-Tek tent
          400W HPS Mag Ballast
          GH Floro - DWC
          Current grow - Humboldt Fem Green Crck from seed
          - TGA GSC x Space Dude clones

Space 2: 6ft x 6ft x 8ft room
          IponicZone 400/600/1000W dimmable HPS E-Ballast
          Supplemented with California Lightworks Solar System 275 with spectrum control
          GH Maxi Series-DWC
          Current grow - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream from seed
          - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream Clones
          - TGA GSC x Space Dude from reg seed in dirt, G.O. Box nutes

Comment

HappyDaze...thanks for responding...!! I know it's stupid my thing about power tools. I did find that dremel makes something that could....assuming it is used by someone who knows what they are doing, work....still sketchy on any sort of power tool and the dremel thing is a bit pricey....I may just have to rethink my whole newbie idea for the grow. Let me ask this another way. If that idea, the hydro tub idea, for a grow is not complete rubbish ...there has to be some sort of set up that someone like me can buy..?? It's early days for me and this will be my first ever grow. I'm open to any and all ideas about how I should (or could) do the grow...I'm in an apartment and in a state where weed is very much illegal so it, the grow, has to be super discreet....like invisible...both physically and from a smell standpoint. I do grow, right now, herbs, Kitchen herbs and a few veggies in what passes for a hydro set up so I am not utterly helpless when it comes to growing plants....like I am with the power tool thing... I am doing those all in individual containers and they are all out in the open.....weed, laughs, is different...My thought for the grow was to put the tubs in a grow tent of some sort and use a filter for the smell and just keep it, the grow tent, out of sight....the hydro tub idea seems to be the best way..I can think of, to have as many weed plants as close together as possible...? I appreciate any and all ideas and I am reading all the info I can find to give me ideas....this forum is such a great idea...

Comment

ah, ha..!! That general hydroponics system, one of them at least, seems to be just the thing....!! I am a bit stuck on the hydro thing. Not opposed to soil at all it is just is easier for me to use the hydro. I just add nutrients to the h20 and add that to the plants.....I need easy....like stupid easy...Next big question, of many, is about the tent and all the stuff that will have to go with it...like filters and lights...I'm really brand new to all of this....no idea where to even start. I really can't just buy one and see if it works...a tent, I mean...There is so much....too much, info out there to sort through. Is it stupid to think I start with a tent and the G.H. buckets to grow veggies like I am doing now and then progress to weed....I can not take chances with a system that needs tweaking after I have weed plants growing. Yes, it really is that bad where I am. One sniff of weed by my neighbors and I end up in jail, period. Seems like I could sort out the details with veggies first before trying weed....??

Comment

• Tersky
              Tersky commented
              Editing a comment
              So the main thing is how much space you have. I started with a 2'x4'x5' tent and doing my hydro setup i can do two plants. Nebula has the same tent and she grew 8 plants in coco and got a pound. In my opinion, i wish i had more height in that tent as things get cramped during flower.

Ready to grow up to a pound of cannabis at home? All you need to do is follow the 8 simple steps of this growing tutorial using a 315 LEC grow light.

Figure out how much space you have to grow and then you will know what size light you will need. I highly recommend reading up on all the info you can on this site because it's all there and actually easy to find compared to other sites.

Oh and be prepared to tweak your setup initially. it takes a little while to iron out all the issues such as light leaks, filter placement and ducting, noise dampening ect.

2william, i understand your hesitation to use power tools. There are pre-built containers made for hydro but they are usually way over priced and finding one that matches your setup can be difficult. Thats why most build their own. I am not familiar with power tools as my only one is a drill but i am glad i got it. I have a hole saw that attaches to it (see attached pics) which makes it super easy to cut holes in lids.

that being said, I have another setup that i have been using that doesn't need any holes cut. Currently, i have 2x black 2 gallon buckets (was not easy to find the 2 gal btw i just use it because of the height limitations of my grow space). I got black because it blocks out light from getting into nute water and growing algae. I have net top bucket lids with clay pebbles and a rapid root for the plant. I also have an air pump with air stones. If you look up Active Aqua Root Spa it looks kinda similar except i have an air stone inside the bucket (see setup photo). Now these plants wont get probably more than 2-3 feet and if all goes well i could get 4 oz(6 if im lucky) but that is because of the height limitation of the tent.

Another thing, when growing hydro in a tub you dont want too many plants in the same tub as it will not give them enough room to spread out. Also when the root ball's get big they latch on to each other and can start stealing each other's nutrients. soil or coco is more efficient in the number of plants you can fit in a grow space. Alternatively you can a hydro setup with a single plant that produces just as much, just needing a longer veg time. It's not the number of plants that determines your yield, its how you grow it. That is unless the seeds are autos. I know its all a little overwhelming at first. I started off buying pre-made containers and stealth grow boxes and realized that while the were what they were supposed to be, were either expensive or difficult to use or just not conducive to what i wanted to accomplish. I know this is a lot, but i hope i helped!

Comment

Tersky....Thank you...!!! I was wrong in thinking that having more plants together, sharing the same nutrient water would be better. So, individual plants in individual containers is the way to go, it seems.....the general hydroponic system seems to be along the lines of what your set-up looks like. Not only am I scared of power tools I am helplessly stupid when it comes to building anything, at all....I can drop the $$ on the G.H. bucket system....unless you all think it won't work...?? I'd like, as a newbie, to grow as many plants as possible but you also pointed out that I am, foolishly, expecting more yield just by just having more plants....Unless I misunderstand you I can get just as much yield from fewer plants....assuming i can figure out how to do this at all.....Your pictures seem like the space you have is very big...I mean it seems like you could fit more buckets in that same space....where I am going with that is...I need to maximize my plants in as small a tent as I can find.....using your buckets as an example....how big a tent would I need for two of those buckets..? Or whatever is similar that G.H has...? Thanks to you all for your help..I am determined to figure this all out and I'll admit I need all the help I can possibly get...!!

Comment

• Tersky
                Tersky commented
                Editing a comment
                The buckets are in a 2'x4'x5' tent. and they fit ok. The problem is when i got a replacement carbon filter i got one way too big and i couldnt send it back at that point so the top of my tent is filled with ducting and the carbon filter making my actual grow area a foot shorter. then with the height of the buckets that makes the area to grow even smaller. You have to remember that you have to have the recommended space between the lights and the canopy or your plants will get burned. When i grow my plants, i force them to grow more horizontally than vertically which is why i dont add more plants in. There are some good examples of set ups on the site that i used to build mine. I would not go below the tent size i have especially with the height issues im having.

I dont know anything about the GH bucket systems unfortunately. I also recommend looking for indoor hydroponic/ grow tent setups on youtube. I've found some vids that show some good setups, although they usually take up more space but it might give you ideas that you can use.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X