First grow room setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First grow room setup

I'm trying to decide the best place to setup shop. My two options are a 2x3 closet upstairs or put something together in my basement that's a total mess. Here are the areas, helpful opinions are highly suggested, and thanks in advance for taking the time to help me figure this out. I've been doing my homework and I can do either area, just like to here from people that have already been where I'm going. Peace and kindness to ask if you, and I wish you all the best of days to come.
    ​​​​Organic Grow, kind Soil, Foxfarm Ocean Forest, , Perlite.

​​Vivosun 5 x 10

Spider Farmer sf2000 X2

AC Infinity Axial Fan Driver Coolers

Ventilation AC Infinity 6"

Carbon Filters AC Infinity in and out

Root Trapper 2 Smart pots 7 gallon

Change your thoughts and you change your world.

I'd start cleaning up the basement - if you have a window nearby the closet for ventilation, you could use that. But I already see a window in the basement that one could use. Best to ventilate outside if you can, but venting into the house will eventually create problems.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

No window near the closet, but I could put an exhaust vent in the ceiling of the closet and vent it that way. I'm wanting to keep my grow small until I get there system smoothed out, that's why I was thinking I could do one or two plants in the closet. I was thinking of wrapping there closet with mylar, what's your thoughts on that. And thank you very much for your help and information. Hope your day is going well for you.

​​Vivosun 5 x 10

Spider Farmer sf2000 X2

Comment

After I get out smoothed out like I said, then I can always clean up that nightmare of a basement. I have a lot of learning to do before I stretch my wings into larger grows. How many plants do you think I could grow in the closet, it's roughly 2'x3'and 8' tall.

​​Vivosun 5 x 10

Spider Farmer sf2000 X2

Comment

Hi Dude, I agree with Canuck: the basement looks much better than the closet. There are many problems that too small of a space can provoke: too much heat, plants get too big for the space, and you have trouble doing what you need to do in such a cramped space. I think you may have some anxiety about facing that "nightmare of a basement," but it's really not so bad!! Suggestion: clean a small space in the basement and start small down there. If you move that gigantic teddy bear, you'd have all the room you need.

In other words, don't take on the entire basement if that's too daunting of a task; just clean up part of the space. I think you'll be much happier with more space for YOU to move about in, and for your plants to show you what they can do. And if you're like so many of us on GWE, you will quickly become entirely devoted to cultivating cannabis and you will enthusiastically clean up the basement to make room for 6 more plants!!!
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I'd use the basement also. Always better to have a bigger space and much easier to control Temps. As for mylar, it's expensive. I use black white poly. It's only 5% less reflective and much cheaper. You could build a floating wall with the poly and a few pieces of wood and put a zipper on it for a door. As alltatup said this can quickly become a major part of you life so in my opinion you'd be happier with a basement setup.

Comment

One plant is all I would start with - easier to learn on one than fuck up two.
              You have ample vertical room for a four foot tall autoflower.
              Genetics is a lot to do with cannabis plants - spend a few extra bucks to get quality seeds that suit your needs.
              So don't worry too much about scrogging or lsting - all you need to do is let it grow by itself(strategically removing certain fan leaves as she grows up) or - go the easy way of topping off at the sixth node and then letting it grow from there, with no training.
              Easier to learn by watching it grow.
              As for Mylar that's fine or just paint the walls a flat white not glossy.
              Last edited by Canuck147; 07-21-2019, 05:18 PM.
              ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
              Mars Hydro
              Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

I would start with the basement, for other reasons. I don't believe that it would be worth doing the work to set up the closet with proper ventilation, if your end goal will be the basement later on. In my opinion, it is easier to expand than to migrate. As others have mentioned, you don't need to start with the 'whole' basement. Just a small space to get growing 🤘😎
                Meesta's Grow
                2019 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-meesta-s-grow

2020 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ta-s-2020-grow

Comment

I like the little pseudo closet area. Spend the $50 and get a tent 24x24x48: https://www.amazon.com/TopoLite-Multiple-Hydroponic-Growing-Plastic/dp/B074J876KK/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=grow+tent&qid=1563925578&s=gat eway&sr=8-7

I am partial to Secret Jardin but not sure the cost:
                  https://www.secretjardin.com/catalog...,product,295,0

And think about: (i) How will the air circulate inside the tent? ; (ii) How can I shed heat?; (iii) Where do I put the carbon filter? I mean there are million other things to think about as well but I believe those are the biggies for the small tent on an area with not much circulation on three sides.

Comment

I also like the basement. That window may prove to be the best asset once you get going and need to extract heat or air with a carbon filter and you can store all the related ‘stuff’ you’ll be using on a few shelves. Plants get big quickly and unless you have training them ,down well, you’ll have bushy tall plants filling spaces you never planned for. I use a warehouse space that has a 10x10 room upstairs. Had to bring water up, change reservoir water weekly or so, carry things up and down almost routinely. Having it all in the area you need, works better in my opinion.

Comment

It would be cheaper to set up ones vs. Twice. When you do start growing, even if it just one plant for now in a bigger tent you will be very thankful for any extra space you have on your learning curve.
                      Space for Rent.

Comment

• Mr.furley
                        Mr.furley commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well damn sorry to hear It happens and good catch
                        Farmall
                        when you grow out regular seed you know it's coming, your on high alert , it is expected so it's not a big surprise so you plant double or triple of what you can use and keep the chosen ones. I almost drop 30 seeds but don't Logistics of My space calmed me down. feminized seeds are convenient but can be prone to stress from weak parent genetics, who is the breeder/bank?

• Farmall
                        Farmall commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don’t have access to the breeder but I got them from Nirvana and it was an AK-48. Crazy thing was it was a runt. Barley started to grow so with some help from Sirius, tried to coax it along and really baby it to get going but it never did. In comparison, the other plants were 24” tall and 18” wide, this scrawny like one was maybe 10” high and 6” wide with mini leaves on 5-6 nodes almost like a bonsai and looked like severe nitrogen deficiency. Always had yellowing leaves on the lower sections and it was in supersoil like the rest.

They were screaming with growth and this thing just ...nothing. As they are all in flower and the “surprise “ autos were in full bud, I looked in the door and saw each node with little balls. Well, after all that... “you’re outta here!” While ripping him up outside in the field ,I’m singing this popular Doors tune...”poor Otis dead and gone, left me here to sing his song...pretty little girl with the red dress on, poor Otis dead and gone “

• Mr.furley
                        Mr.furley commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lol, glad to hear I'm not the only one that sings situational appropriate songs to my plants. "Little clip clip here little clip clip their here a clip their clip everywhere a clip clip".

You're killing it at 9am Furley, awesome way to start the day, laughter is great medicine.

​​Vivosun 5 x 10

Spider Farmer sf2000 X2

Comment

Like giving CPR to Another One Bites The Dust.. Lol

​​Vivosun 5 x 10

Spider Farmer sf2000 X2

Comment

The closet lacks ventilation and a power supply. I'd go downstairs for those two reasons alone, but having more space is a bonus. You're going to accumulate a ton of stuff for mixing, measuring, moving and testing the gallons of nutrients and soil you're going to use to pamper your plants.

All the crap I have, would barely fit in your closet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190801_122652[1].jpg
Views:	179
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	326981Click image for larger version

Name:	20190801_122755[1].jpg
Views:	193
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	326982
                        Space 1: 3ft x 3ft T-Tek tent
                        400W HPS Mag Ballast
                        GH Floro - DWC
                        Current grow - Humboldt Fem Green Crck from seed
                        - TGA GSC x Space Dude clones

Space 2: 6ft x 6ft x 8ft room
                        IponicZone 400/600/1000W dimmable HPS E-Ballast
                        Supplemented with California Lightworks Solar System 275 with spectrum control
                        GH Maxi Series-DWC
                        Current grow - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream from seed
                        - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream Clones
                        - TGA GSC x Space Dude from reg seed in dirt, G.O. Box nutes

Comment

HappyDaze Hear, hear!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	nutes.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	326989Click image for larger version

Name:	hydro equip.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	326990
                          Attached Files
                          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
                          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
                          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• HappyDaze
                            HappyDaze commented
                            Editing a comment
                            And that's just the stuff that I'm using...there's a couple of boxes of old lights, air pumps, little fans, power supplies, panda film, hydroton, yoyos...ridiculous.

BUT! I don't have a wet/dry vac !!! Note to self...MUST ADD wet/dry vac to giant collection of indispensable grow gear....and possibly a couple of those syringes with the really long tips, haha.

Cheers

• Farmall
                            Farmall commented
                            Editing a comment
                            They speak the truth.... I have 6 - 5 gallon hydroponic buckets I made that cannot stack inside each other because of the other hardware attached... I just leave them outside now... stacking them makes it 7.5’ tall. Agh!

• alltatup
                            alltatup commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Dude We aren't trying to scare you!!! ;-]

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X