Will this fertilzer be okay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this fertilzer be okay?

I read about fertilizer but living in the 3rd world it's not always easy to get exactly what you need.
    I used good rich black soil and added an organic fertilizer from a big sack that has chicken poop and rice bran etc in it.

This is my 2nd try at growing.
    I think my seeds are ruderalis but not sure, but the plants grow small and flower quickly.
    I get around 12 hours a day of sun, more or less and have them in a screened in box with plastic over it to keep them from getting too much rain.

Anyway this time my plants are growing 3-4 times as tall but still that's only about 18-24 inches before starting to flower.

So my question is, for increasing bud size, will this fertilizer work? (SEE PHOTO ATTACHED) I read that it also needs sulfur so what natural source of sulfur can I get easily (i.e. I can't order from amazon LOL), and I prefer to use organic substances.
    If this wont' work well (I'm sure it's not perfect, but my question is will it help or hinder?)

My last crop was very good but each plant only 6-8" tall with just one good bud. Quality was great though.
    This time I put them in bigger pots, used organic liquid and solid fertilizers and they're 1.5-2 feet tall and now started to flower.
    All I can do now is try to make the flowers bigger.

If this fertilzer isn't good does anyone know what I might ask for at the local agriculture supplier. (Often you can only buy stuff in huge 50lb sacks so my options are limited!)
    Or should I just add more of the organic chickenpoop/rice bran fertilizer on top of the soil?

Translationof the powdered fertilizer I gave the photo of, that I mix with water:
    25% nitrogen
    10% phosphorus
    17.5% potasium
    1.57% magnesium
    and micronutrients:
    iron,manganese, copper, zinc, boron and molybidnum (sp?)

Oh, I also used an organic liquid fertilizer that is more of a composting type product. http://tecnologiaem.com/que.html I can't translate it exactly but if you speak Spanish maybe you can understand. It is made up of microorganisms like lactic acid (lactobacicilus), phototropics (?) and yeast of some sort which helps balance the soil.
    This stuff works wonders on every plant or tree I've used it on, is all I know! Whether it helps the mj plants I am not sure, but it doesn't seem (?) to hurt them... and this time I used more and they're bigger so quite possibly this is why, but I'm not sure.
    This is the Spanish ingredients that I translated as best I could above; maybe you can get the gist of it:

→ Bacterias acido Lacticas ( Lactobachillus sp.)
    → Bacterias fototroficas (Rhodoseudomonas sp.)
    → Levaduras (Saccharomyces sp.)

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give!
    Last edited by LesThannewbie; 07-20-2019, 03:19 PM.

Originally posted by LesThannewbie View Post
    now started to flower.
    All I can do now is try to make the flowers bigger.

Translation of the powdered fertilizer I gave the photo of, that I mix with water:
    25% nitrogen
    10% phosphorus
    17.5% potasium
    The fertilizer you're asking about would be good in veg. Cannabis likes an NPK ratio of 2-1-1.8 in veg (maybe even 3-1-1.8), and finish flowering around a ratio 1-2-1.8 (maybe even 1-3-1.8, which starts to enter "booster" territory.). What you're considering is a ratio 2.5-1-1.75. That would be a good veg product.

Is that a product you mix in water? If so, you could find another product (like a "bloom booster" product that's 4-50-30 NPK, maybe buy it online. Like Grow More's Hula Bloom or Hawaiian Bud & Bloom. (They're inexpensive compared to other brands.). You can mix those into this product to get a custom NPK ratio. You'd need a scale to do that accurately. Probably a scale that is accurate to .01 gram.).

If you can't find a fertilizer product with a higher P (as a ratio of N & K), maybe you can find bone meal? That's a basic, commonly-available organic amendment. It' a fine powder and relatively fast acting. I sometimes use it with my dry fertilizer to boost P in flower.

I you contemplate mixing different things to get a desired NPK ratio, talk to me first. You have to be careful to get it right. It's not something you guess at. I have a spreadsheet which lets me figure out how much bone meal to use with my 16-16-16 base fertilizer. It tells me the ppm strength that will result, etc. I'd be nervous doing it without that insight.

You don't need to raise P in flower. Cannabis grows fine with an NPK ratio 1-1-1 all the way through its life. I've harvested some large/dense buds using that ratio. But, if your amended soil is starting to be exhausted and you have to feed something, I don't think I'd use that 2.5-1-1.75 product. I think I'd investigate feeding "teas." I've never one this. But, the way you composted your own soil, a "tea" would work well with that. You'd have to google about it. But, it involves bubbling water containing chicken poop, fish guts, worm castings (I don't know what's used.). Then pouring that through the soil.

Comment

Originally posted by az2000 View Post

The fertilizer you're asking about would be good in veg. Cannabis likes an NPK ratio of 2-1-1.8 in veg (maybe even 3-1-1.8), and finish flowering around a ratio 1-2-1.8 (maybe even 1-3-1.8, which starts to enter "booster" territory.). What you're considering is a ratio 2.5-1-1.75. That would be a good veg product.

Is that a product you mix in water? If so, you could find another product (like a "bloom booster" product that's 4-50-30 NPK, maybe buy it online. Like Grow More's Hula Bloom or Hawaiian Bud & Bloom. (They're inexpensive compared to other brands.). You can mix those into this product to get a custom NPK ratio. You'd need a scale to do that accurately. Probably a scale that is accurate to .01 gram.).

If you can't find a fertilizer product with a higher P (as a ratio of N & K), maybe you can find bone meal? That's a basic, commonly-available organic amendment. It' a fine powder and relatively fast acting. I sometimes use it with my dry fertilizer to boost P in flower.

I you contemplate mixing different things to get a desired NPK ratio, talk to me first. You have to be careful to get it right. It's not something you guess at. I have a spreadsheet which lets me figure out how much bone meal to use with my 16-16-16 base fertilizer. It tells me the ppm strength that will result, etc. I'd be nervous doing it without that insight.

You don't need to raise P in flower. Cannabis grows fine with an NPK ratio 1-1-1 all the way through its life. I've harvested some large/dense buds using that ratio. But, if your amended soil is starting to be exhausted and you have to feed something, I don't think I'd use that 2.5-1-1.75 product. I think I'd investigate feeding "teas." I've never one this. But, the way you composted your own soil, a "tea" would work well with that. You'd have to google about it. But, it involves bubbling water containing chicken poop, fish guts, worm castings (I don't know what's used.). Then pouring that through the soil.
      Honestly this is way over my head and far too complicated for me. I was HOPING the answer would be that my powdered fertilizer would work okay. LOL.

If I lived in a place I could order by mail I'd buy some ready made formula(s) but as I mentioned I can't do that here.
      So I think I'll just add my organic fertilizers (liquid EM and chicken poop/bran etc) and hope for the best!
      Thanks for answering anyway!

I have no desire to spend a lot of time or effort or money in growing, especially if I can get decent results just planting and adding organic fertilizers and harvesting. ;-D

My last batch I did that way came out fine, so we'll see if these do as well. It's just that I'm a "minimalist" grower, not into putting a lot of effort into the whole "science" of making the absolute best stuff. In fact I tend to like my buds a little LESS strong, more CBD than THC.

I get it, though. If I smoked a lot and liked it strong, I'd probably make more effort.

Comment

• VtGreen1965
        VtGreen1965 commented
        Editing a comment
        Find a simple 10-10-10 granular fertilizer and it will work fine through veg and into bud.
        The nitrogen ( N of the NPK scale) is high in what you have for marijuana, especially when it comes to budding where you need to cut the N out almost completely.
        Good luck !

Your fertilizer will 'work' but like az2000 said, it is a bit heavy on N concentration for flower. Most garden nutes for blooms/fruits tend to increase P-K so they may be better if that's all you can get.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Don't listen az200. Fertilizer isn't food and has no impact on growth. You only fertilizer a plant to fix deficiency

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Light is the food....nutes are the vitamins

• Sww
          Sww commented
          Editing a comment
          @kingfisher & mud
          In a way it true kingfisher when you initially feed a plant it will live on the nutrients until it run out. Say nitrogen deplete first it show ND and you top up fertilizer fix ND

Mud light or solar radiation isn't food it generates the plant to grow/move like we walk/move cardio and nuits like our meals fuel energy of exercise
          Last edited by Sww; 07-30-2019, 11:13 AM.

• az2000
          az2000 commented
          Editing a comment
          FWIW: I like to feed before I have deficiencies. (wink).

If ur on this site...and u have a mailbox...why can't you get nutes? Order by mail.

Comment

I get sulfur from the local farm store, should be available anywhere garden suppliers are sold. I use powdered (water soluble) and pelleted/granular, both should be on the shelf,,.
          Study up on organics, one can compost many things from table scraps to grass clippings from the yard. Those banana peels are high K, as is most fruit/peels, I have chickens and rabbits for N,,,,etc..

Comment

Short plants that flower ealy are a sign of too much Nitrogen- consider using less chicken/rice combo.
            Add Epsom salts for Magnesium sulfate.
            Contnue with your organic fertilizer weekly at 1/2 dose- only if the plants show deficiencies.
            It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
            http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

Originally posted by Mud View Post
              If ur on this site...and u have a mailbox...why can't you get nutes? Order by mail.
              I don't live in the USA. With our mail system, stuff either gets stolen or held in customs, (no matter what it is).

Comment

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
                I get sulfur from the local farm store, should be available anywhere garden suppliers are sold. I use powdered (water soluble) and pelleted/granular, both should be on the shelf,,.
                Study up on organics, one can compost many things from table scraps to grass clippings from the yard. Those banana peels are high K, as is most fruit/peels, I have chickens and rabbits for N,,,,etc..
                The organic fertilizer I use as I said is composed of chicken poop and other stuff so I assume that would increase the N, right?
                As to the K, thanks, I'll see if I can add banana peels or other fruit or peels.
                Even aside from that, the EM organic stuff I mentioned above seems to be working wonders. The plants are doing much better than last time: are taller, have more buds, seem to be doing well. Maybe adding some K would make the flowers even better though...?

Comment

• HappyDaze
                  HappyDaze commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Les....if you need to bump up the (K) potassium in your soil, you could add some ash to your mix. Any place around you where you could obtain some scrap lumber or a small pile of grass or twigs to burn? No question...this works and you don't have to worry about customs or $.

Originally posted by Weed Pharma View Post
                Short plants that flower ealy are a sign of too much Nitrogen- consider using less chicken/rice combo.
                Add Epsom salts for Magnesium sulfate.
                Contnue with your organic fertilizer weekly at 1/2 dose- only if the plants show deficiencies.
                Okay, next time I'll use less chicken poop and rice fertilzer. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Thanks, HappyDaze, I'll try that. However my friend did tell me thinks I can get a liquid potassium product for the soil so I'll look into that first.

Comment

Originally posted by Sww View Post
                    Don't listen az200. Fertilizer isn't food and has no impact on growth. You only fertilizer a plant to fix deficiency
                    Excuse me?
                    I fertilize every 3rd watering to give my plants what they need to not only survive but to thrive.
                    To say you only use nutes to solve a problem is saying you have little knowledge of marijuana growing, maybe you should get a little more knowledge before you tell someone not to listen to another member.
                    Or am I wrong with the way I treat my 150 plus plants every cycle?

Comment

• az2000
                      az2000 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I feed every watering. But, my soil is very light. It's more accurately called "soiled soilless." It's just enough to be a soil. But, I don't count on it being rich and supplying the plant very much. I pour in Grow More - Sea Grow (a powerded, inexpensive soil fertiizer with a organic-based leaning. The soil's just soiley enough to facilitate that level of organic fertilization. I don't know. It works though. And, the plants seem to like it better each feeding (probably because the soil isn't rich).

Originally posted by VtGreen1965 View Post

Excuse me?
                    I fertilize every 3rd watering to give my plants what they need to not only survive but to thrive.
                    To say you only use nutes to solve a problem is saying you have little knowledge of marijuana growing, maybe you should get a little more knowledge before you tell someone not to listen to another member.
                    Or am I wrong with the way I treat my 150 plus plants every cycle?
                    I'm sorry I few life problems at the moment and known be funny with ppl I'm not well. I probably wrote it untrue be funny... Sorry az200

Comment

• az2000
                      az2000 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No problems. I'm not well too.

Will sawdust serve as "ash"? Or is that different?

Comment

• Rwise
                      Rwise commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wood takes nitrogen out of the soil while decomposing, once rotted it gives it back,,,
                      Time to fire up the BBQ

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X