Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can i grow to completion in a 3ft tall tent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can i grow to completion in a 3ft tall tent?

Hi all,

Just getting into growing but I live in a city apartment where closet space is limited. I found a 2'x2'x3' tent on amazon:

with this 300W LED:

Do you think I will be able to grow a plant through it's whole life in this tent? Not looking for big yields. If i get an ounce, I am happy.

Thanks in advance!

The only thing you can grow in a 3foot tent is a 1.5foot plant, honestly I would not recommend it not enough room for the plant to grow properly or to get any yield worth it

Comment

Originally posted by matcro369 View Post
      Just getting into growing but I live in a city apartment where closet space is limited. I found a 2'x2'x3' tent on amazon:
      A 4' tall tent would be better. I harvested 220g (dried) from an autoflower (Northern Storm from MSNL seeds) in a 2x2' space, 4' tall. I used a 3gal container (that's the trade name. It actually holds 2.3 gal of soil, something like that.). A 2gal might have been better for that space. I had to LST it a lot. I don't think autoflowers should be messed with that way too much.

I used T5HO at 40w/sq ft. I added some CFL bulbs for sidelighting in mid to late flower. (LED bulbs will work, with less heat).

If you grow a photosensitive strain, you should look into scrog, or mainlining (where you create a candelabra appearance by cutting the main growth stem, creating two -- an then cut them as their stems grow. I.e., make it grow more horizontal.). And then you have to be very careful about stretch. Don't change your lighting to warm light until stretch is done. Often peple switch to warm the moment they turn the lights to 12/12. But, that can cause a lot of stretch.

But, I think an autoflower is best for small spaces. They're like "bonsai" versions of normal photosensitive plants. The only downside is that you have to run the lights 18/6 through flower. You don't have to. But, the yield will be reduced if you run 12/12. Basically, you can run 18/6 because it's not photosensitive. And so, because you can, you should (in order to get more yield.). Another downside to autos is that they have a fixed lifespan. They can be the wrong thing for new growers because if you make mistakes and set the plant back, there's no time to recover from that.

Comment

Yes - you can grow a plant to completion in that size tent. Read up on topping and LST - low stress training. You are going to learn how to grow low - it can be done and has been done. Be careful with what strain you buy - some are more conducive for growing low than others - buy an indica type strain and stay away from any sativas. Sativa strains grow tall.
        Maybe consider an autoflower - strain in particular is called 'Low Ryder
        Any questions - ask away.
        And if you grow an autoflower - you can run the light 24/7. I do, and they grow just a little bit faster.
        Last edited by Canuck147; 07-13-2019, 11:43 AM.
        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
        Mars Hydro
        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Figure your pot might be 10" tall and your LED is 4" thick and will need 4"(?) of clearance at the top for cooling fans. Then there's the 16" distance from your light to the top of your plants. That's 34". Your tent is 36". Unless you can do some amazing LSTing, it looks like your plants would be 2" tall. My tent is 4.5' tall. I couldn't imagine growing in anything smaller.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

thanks for the advice all!

The problem with the 4ft tent is that it would have to be in the open. The old lady isn't enthused about that. So it's pretty much this or nothing.

I figured I would be doing a lot of LST and already have a canopy net in my cart.

I'm not a huge consumer. An ounce will last me months.

I bought seeds from Seedsman but was a little impulsive and got the ones they had on special on the main page. Something called "Peyote WiFi" with free "Peyote Coyote". Still waiting to see if they even make it to me and not get destroyed in customs. Description from site: Peyote WiFi is an indica-dominant cross of WiFi . SO it is Indica.

The investment is not that much, looking at like 300-350 total. So if I can be successful but just have low yields, that is fine.

Comment

• Gingerbeard
              Gingerbeard commented
              Editing a comment
              I have seedlings grow to touch t5 lights overnight with no problem. Make sure to have a light cover, though.

• az2000
              az2000 commented
              Editing a comment
              I personally wouldn't use light covers. They reduce the amount of light reaching the plant. Seedlings can be pretty far from the plant. In veg, keep 3-4" distance. If a plant grows enough that it touches... well, consider burnt leaves a form of "LST." (wink). I don't mind some burnt leaves for the sake of having soft/close light. In flower that should be less of a problem, and that's when the most light is needed. So, I wouldn't run covers then. In veg it matters less.

Regarding heat in the tent. Fulham makes ballasts (Racehorse) that can be remote mounted outside the tent. That would reduce about 30% of the heat.

I've never been disappointed with T5HO, especially in short spaces. In the OP's 2x2 space, I would use three 2-tube fixtures. This would be six 24-w tubes (144w total). That's 36w/sq ft. The nice think about three seperate fixtures is that it can better contour around the canopy (if not scrog'ing, and it's a typical rounded-top plant). Like, one Sun Blaze 2-tube for the center (top-down) fixture. And then two Agroflex 2-tube fixtures to be cantalevered on each side.

That space could stand one more 24-w tube to make it 42w/sq ft. That would be ideal in flower. But, household LED lightbulbs could be used for that too (or in addition). A couple 19w (100w equiv) warm-white bulbs using clamp on reflectors in opposing corners. Add one during stretch, and the other in mid-flower. That would be closer to 45w/sq ft. That's the sweet spot for T5HO in flower.

It sounds complicated, but surrounding a plant with light seems so much more effective compared to delivering the light top-down. It makes better use of the light, I think. Better coverage.

• Gingerbeard
              Gingerbeard commented
              Editing a comment
              You're not the first to say that about t5 light covers, az2000. I use them only for vegging. With the small spaces I have, they're perfect.

Go to the GWE home page and enter mini tent in the search bar. Following Nebulas hints, tips, and advice is never a bad idea.

Comment

Check out space buckets. One might be right up your alley.
              More elephant!

Coco/perlite
              3x3x6

Comment

i checked out the Nebula article: https://www.growweedeasy.com/mini-gr...led-grow-light

That looks like a pretty successful mini grow. The lights they use are a little pricey but I can see that they are very slim.

Comment

• Mr.furley
                  Mr.furley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have one of the hlg-100, very impressed with it so far. Paid a hundred bucks for it.

If I were growing in a 3 foot tall tent, the main concern I would have is heat accumulation. I also used to use a 300W LED in a 5 foot tent and it got warm in there despite small intake and exhaust fans. I think it will be very important to pay attention to air flow for this. Good luck!

Comment

Use a 1 gallon fabric pot - fill it up halfway then fold over the extra fabric so you are only using half the pot hence it is that much shorter.
                  ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
                  Mars Hydro
                  Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

On third and fourth plant. Set up new grow area made better use of space. So trying my first manifold. Going ok so far, getting used to it. Enjoying it very

This is a pretty good example of a small space/low light setup that's producing well. Give it a look.
                    Space 1: 3ft x 3ft T-Tek tent
                    400W HPS Mag Ballast
                    GH Floro - DWC
                    Current grow - Humboldt Fem Green Crck from seed
                    - TGA GSC x Space Dude clones

Space 2: 6ft x 6ft x 8ft room
                    IponicZone 400/600/1000W dimmable HPS E-Ballast
                    Supplemented with California Lightworks Solar System 275 with spectrum control
                    GH Maxi Series-DWC
                    Current grow - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream from seed
                    - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream Clones
                    - TGA GSC x Space Dude from reg seed in dirt, G.O. Box nutes

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X