Lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lights?

Okay let me start with I know it's not ideal but I will upgrade as I can afford to. I need to get another light for my to grow tent to add to existing and can't decide between 1000 watt hps or 1000 watt led? 4x4 area currently running King led 1000 and it's doing okay but know it needs more. I can't go over $150, unfortunately, atm so trying to decide if I should add led or hps?

Led are more expencive up front, but will save you $ long term.

hid/hps/etc will cost less up front, cost more long term but will give better results with heat being a major concern.

Personally, rather than drop money on a light you will replace, I would hold the cash until your ready for the permanent light.

My 2 cents.

Please visit www.honestgr.ca for reviews on grow equipment. It is going slowly as I am trying to find products to review (and supportive companies!) I do giveaways there, do not tell me your from GWE however.

Comment

• HappyDaze
      HappyDaze commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed...However, I picked up a 150W HPS security light with a missing cover from the discount rack at one of the big box stores for like $25 years ago and it lit up my clones and seedlings just as well as the 275W LED I've got that literally cost 20 times as much.

• CC420710
      CC420710 commented
      Editing a comment
      Under other circumstances, I would but I need to be growing in the meantime or I won't have any smoke. It's just a starting point to get it and going and start learning. When i can upgrade I will either add on or replace altogether. Plus side I have gotten some really good feedback when that time comes

Electric Sky ES300. You won't be sorry! 2nd best investment I've ever made.

Comment

• HappyDaze
      HappyDaze commented
      Editing a comment
      What's the cost on the ES300, if you don't mind me asking. My Solar Systems lamp is a little smaller, and at almost CAN$600, I'd say a 315 ceramic lamp is a better option.

I bought a 630W dual bulb CMH-LEC for my flowering purposes $380ish 1 3100K and 1 4200K and I purchased a 315 W with a 3100k for my veg tent. $180ish at a local store here in town where I'm at. More efficient IMO. You can hunt around for prices but I agree a 315w is a better option, but again everyone has their own opinions on what to use.

Comment

For $150 HPS will be the most efficient choice.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

https://m.alibaba.com/product/620180...1b-v2-mix.html

240w qb, 127 bucks.
        First grow started on April 17th, 2019.
        4x4 Grow Tent
        2 X 240W 3000k QB (lm301b). 24/0 light cycle.
        Canna Coco medium, 3 gallon fabric pots
        AN SensiCoco Grow + Bloom w/ tap water

Growing:
        2 x Mephisto - Chemdogging
        1 x Mephisto - Northern Cheese Haze
        1 x Dinafem - Dinamex

Chopped June 30th, 2019. Final yield: 716g plus 329g of larfy buds.

Comment

Roleadro 1500, Roleadro 1200 reflector series, Mars Hydro TS 1000, Viperspectra 450 reflector, Viperspectra TC450,ipower 600 watt. These are some in my price range that I am comparing. Any thoughts on whether they are good or bad and which one is most efficient? One more Horticulture Lighting Group 100 V2 3000k quantum Board

Comment

• HappyDaze
            HappyDaze commented
            Editing a comment
            My experience with LEDs is with one lamp...I'd trade it for two 315 Ceramics or three 600 dimmable HIDs in a second...the price wasn't worth it. You want yield, follow Toker1's advice, power up.

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ipower sucks! Wouldn’t waste the money. They fail too easily.
            Vivosun makes a similar priced one. Better quality.

• JayGee
            JayGee commented
            Editing a comment
            Migro CMH is also quite nice for the $

I have Topo Lite

Comment

HappyDaze $600.00. I got two for $1200ish. Good luck!

Comment

• HappyDaze
              HappyDaze commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you got more for your money...according to the docs, you're getting 600 μmol/s at 300 watts vs my 439 μmol/s at 200 watts

$ to output ratio ... huge difference.

Thanks for the feedback...none of the preferences matter until you do the guzintaz.

Okay so between CMH 315, hps 600 or HLG 100 V2 3000 quantum board. Or I can go led 1000

Comment

• Toker1
              Toker1 commented
              Editing a comment
              No. I am suggesting exactly what I said above, the data is limited to his case study, which wasn’t a very well rounded one. 1.16 micro moles maybe on a cheap HPS bulb, ill believe that. All the real growers I know that use single ended technology use eye hortilux which are rated at 1.9.
              I use double ended HPS bulbs rated at 2.1.
              Let’s see him test a real HPS bulb and stack it against those CMH.
              HPS is hands down the most efficient at creating photons from electricity for the price tag it carries.
              Last edited by Toker1; 06-20-2019, 10:37 PM.

• HappyDaze
              HappyDaze commented
              Editing a comment
              Toker1 ... The advantage I feel the CMH has over MH/HPS is more UVB at one end of the light spectrum, and more Far Red at the other end.

One of the grow guru's at my hydro supply shop has been a licenced Med grower since they started handing out licences. He pulled out a bag of his high grade grown with wide spectrum lighting from behind the counter a while back to let me give it a sniff test, and wow, nice terps. If the lamps that deliver more UVB/far red light make those terps, I'd go that way. Adding a supplemental UVB florescent to a LED or HPS set-up adds over $100 to your lighting costs, which I think you get for free with a CMH. I may be wrong, reading those spec sheets and making apples to apples comparisons is a challenge.

Also, not sure if you consider Ushio's HiLUX bulbs to be high quality, but their single end bulbs are 2100 MMOL/s = to their D.E. bulbs (on paper at least).

• Toker1
              Toker1 commented
              Editing a comment
              MH provides plenty of UVB. I used to do the last 2 weeks with MH, but now I supplement t5 uv lighting and have never gone back. More UV than CMH and more than LED provided. I have to run them for 15 min on with 2 hours off during lights on. Otherwise I cook my girls. The light is intense. The bulb was less than $30. Fits into a standard t5 fixture.
              Last edited by Toker1; 06-21-2019, 09:57 AM.

Picture of HPS with UV-B t5 bulbs going. 15 min on and 2 hrs off during lights on makes the buds look like a sci go space planet with trics.
            4x4 600w HID empty for summer
            3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
            2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
            running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• Toker1
              Toker1 commented
              Editing a comment
              My first real hood was a cool tube. Lol. I still have it actually. I always tell myself I’m going to give vertical lighting a try one of these days, but never actually do.

• HappyDaze
              HappyDaze commented
              Editing a comment
              Bare vertical bulbs in giant parabolic reflectors and coil wound ballasts...antiques now. I've still got that coil ballast, I bet it has 15000 hours on it and it still works fine. I could heat my garage with the thing when it's running, and it's probably a fire hazard, but it never failed. I tried to give it away a while back and no one wanted it, so back under the bench it went.

• Toker1
              Toker1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha. The umbrella hood. More fancy than my first. A warehouse HPS that my buddy obtained. Magnetic ballast and vertical bulb as well.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X