Surprise seedling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprise seedling

so I decided I was going to go with two plants in one pot this grow again. It has been a week since my seedlings popped out so they’re one week old today. As I was watering today I decided it was time to put down my barley straw mulch and cover all my cover crop with it. Then about 2 hrs later as I was doing my routine grow check I noticed another seedling sticking out of the mulch like WTF I only planted 2 and this entire time well one week I have been babying only two with diy humidity domes and things like that to ensure they get a good start and here is number 3 all alone with no special treatment and it made it lol. Just tripped me out that I covered everything except for my original 2 seedlings and later I come to a 3 rd seedling which bugs me cus I had not seen it and I made sure I covered everything with mulch how did I miss it? Or how did it make it thru the mulch when nothing else has? How is it that it’s a seedling and I only planted 2? I made a seed count of what I have left for my next grow and all is there so I don’t think I dropped an extra one in there? Or somehow I did? Have any of you guys ever experienced something like that? Is it possible it split into 2 the seedlings are about 2 maybe 3 inches apart?? If you look close on the pic it shows to next to each other and one on the north side of the pic. I thought 2 was too much but now 3 what should I do? Kill one or ride with it and hope for the best? It’s 3 seedlings now in a 20 gallon pot..

I always grow out volunteers lol, it looks like a different strain the stock looks greener maybe its a tomato lol
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• oldjarhead100
      oldjarhead100 commented
      Editing a comment
      I use 5 gallon pots so maybe 3 in a 20 gallon isn't so bad

• Weed Pharma
      Weed Pharma commented
      Editing a comment
      agreed- I grow out volunteers - we try so hard to get things to grow- I couldn't pull a viable seedling!
      I was thinking barley, at first, lol

My guess would be a seed made it through compost, I have seen it with tomatoes. Also planted some in the woods, nothing came up, well until the next year. Those seed sat in the ground for a year, then sprouted and grew out. Had that with peppers also, I planted one year they came up the next.
    Have you another pot? One could be moved,,,,

Comment

At this early point- you could carefully spoon out the volunteer seedling and transplant into another pot!
      It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

Yes that what I have been thinking transplant it i just haven’t had time to mix another batch of soil. Work schedules been crazy.

Comment

New 20 gallon pot for the surprise seedling lol. It’s like it knew. I was contemplating another pot and I was just going to grow a cover crop and add worms to it to just let the clover fix the nitrogen in the soil and the worms help aerate the soil when they tunnel around plus they help break down organic matter to make nutrients available for the plants plus fresh castings can’t beat it. But now I’m going to do all that plus the new seedling, I just need mulch.

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Congrats on quadruplets!

• oldjarhead100
            oldjarhead100 commented
            Editing a comment
            she looks so tiny in that great big pot. .You grow clover in your pots as a cover crop ,how big do you let it get ,so do you not dump the soil after a year but reuse it after . could you explain your methods to me ,I will have 30 10 gallon pots of soil and if I could regenerate it what a dollar/work saver it would be

oldjarhead100 From what I understand the smallest pot recommended is 15 gallon when doing a no till living soil. That being said there are growers doing smaller containers like 5/7/10 gallons just 15 is the minimum recommend because it’s easier to maintain balance on large amount of soil than smaller amounts kind of like in dwc resevoir. All I do is make a 3 part base soil mix with just a few amendments and rock minerals. I grow clover because it takes nitrogen from the air and fixes it into my soil making nitrogen available to my Cannabis. The worms help breakdown organic matter turning it into nutrients for my plants and the castings are all nutrients rich as well. So I have worms working for me making nutes 24-7. Also aerate when they tunnel around. And all I do is water with fresh cut aloe from my garden, and soap nut solution iHelps hydrate the soil this once a week in veg. I do that and when I harvest I just leave it alone I cut the plant whole and leave the main stalk and roots in there for the worms. This is my second cycle so far it’s great. Really easy you could just use fresh water this mix has everything you need with just a feW amendments. Look up Clackamas Coot on YouTube I’m following his recipe also Joshua Steensland he has about 5 videos talking about this way of growing from seedling to harvest really good info I believe it’s called talking living soil?? Sorry the longest post ever. Best thing you don’t ever have to change your soil again just top dress reamend it lightly and the cycle continues.

Comment

• oldjarhead100
            oldjarhead100 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Cali great info and I will check it out ,I really like the idea of not having to dump the pots out ,but just amend the soil

Worm release party. I have a question if I’m using 400 watt for veg do I need to add more wattage during flower or I can keep the same wattage? Should I be using less wattage for veg being that my tent can only handle 400 watt before the temps get too hot that way when flowering comes I use the 400 watt max in the tent..

Comment

• oldjarhead100
            oldjarhead100 commented
            Editing a comment
            the same light will do fine both veg and bloom , I have 2000 red wigglers for the veggie garden , thanks for the info again

oldjarhead100 tnx for your reply. A tip on the wrigglers if you have more than one pot you can add a handful on each pot then add a avocado on top of the soil just cut the tip so the wrigglers can get to it when they do they will ball up like spaghetti and what that does is when they rub on each other they get pregnant and reproduce each one will lay a cocoon each cocoon is three wigglers. Baby worms are sexually mature at 40 days of age I believe so doing that will multiply your worm count and they self regulate so you don’t have to worry about too many worms in there. It’s wonderful how nature works.. also I think you know this but do not feed them salt based nutrients all organic matter in the soil for they’re food.. Good luck on your new run with wigglers.
          Last edited by Cali; 06-17-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• oldjarhead100
            oldjarhead100 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have 2 compost bins each 5x5 one I had alot of woody stuff on top of it the other I used and started a new base ,I wanted to flip the stick pile so I cleaned the chicken coop/garage stall,mowed the lawn and did a bunch of layers ,well I thought the stick bin was just full of things that had not composted .Wrong the top 2 feet was woody and grass, under that I found 1/2 bin of black gold , As I was adding layers I would add worms ,up until yesterday I just piled stuff up never tried to add specific layers,we shall she .thanks for all the tips

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X