ph tester needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ph tester needed

i have bought 2 electronic ph testers that dont seem to work, can anyone reccomend a ph tester that they use

I use this one
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

What do you mean by not working? Did you calibrate them?
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-Hy...web_2593569011

It's 2 years old; I always leave it soaking in 7.0 pH calibration solution that I buy in bulk here: http://www.omega.com/pptst/PHA4_7_10.html?bt=cart
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          you give the best links ATU , the birds must know I'm talking to you they keep circling me ,you know hootie chases buddy around me but is to slow for buddy lol

I use the same meter as ATU and it is real important to not let it dry out cause its junk then , bring it in to a store and they will test it for you and show you how to calibrate it if you dont know. and it takes longer than 15 seconds for ph to balance out .In fact how long does everyone leave there ph meters in nute mix before taking the reading , I go until it stops changing 20 seconds
        new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
        current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I test until I reach stability. I swirl around the water with the ph pen and test while mixing the water around. This ensures PH uniformity through out the medium. Then I clean with DI water and store ph probe bulb in a storage solution. Calibrate 1-2 per year.

• FatBoy40
          FatBoy40 commented
          Editing a comment
          I go until it is just moving by .01 either way or it stops

Het RC...I had a Nutradip meter that I used for fifteen years, it needed new probes every few years, even though they were well looked after. As everyone will tell you...you can't let them dry out and you should store them in pH 4.0 test solution or storage solution. I'd recommend that brand based on my experience

My new meter is a BlueLab combo meter. I've had it for about a year and a half, and it's great, but it displays one output at a time. I liked the Nutradip better, it displays all three reading simultaneously, and doesn't run on batteries, which may or may not be an advantage I suppose.
        Space 1: 3ft x 3ft T-Tek tent
        400W HPS Mag Ballast
        GH Floro - DWC
        Current grow - Humboldt Fem Green Crck from seed
        - TGA GSC x Space Dude clones

Space 2: 6ft x 6ft x 8ft room
        IponicZone 400/600/1000W dimmable HPS E-Ballast
        Supplemented with California Lightworks Solar System 275 with spectrum control
        GH Maxi Series-DWC
        Current grow - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream from seed
        - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream Clones
        - TGA GSC x Space Dude from reg seed in dirt, G.O. Box nutes

Comment

• rcsaw
          rcsaw commented
          Editing a comment
          i will check it out, thanks

never failed me yet.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          i too think the strips are the best choice, specially the ones with the 5-9 ph range. i cannot get them locally and/or cheap

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          If you are testing 1-2 buckets, sure. I can see that. Now if you are testing 100 buckets, that would require way too many man-hours to use the strips.

• rcsaw
          rcsaw commented
          Editing a comment
          yea kingfish, thats what i double check by, thanks

i have the same that ATU and OJH have but i also have a cheap yellow chinese one and the yellow one its always spot on and needs no calibration, the fancy one needs calibration once a month at least. buy a cheap yellow one i would say

Comment

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed, my cheap $10 no name brand yellow PH pen has lasted me about 5 years now. I went a year with no calibration at all and the pen was only .1 off the calibration solution rating.

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          hahaha yeah, we should all stuck up on Chinese goods

Originally posted by rcsaw View Post
        i have bought 2 electronic ph testers that dont seem to work, can anyone reccomend a ph tester that they use
        You might try soaking them in distilled water for about an hour. I resurrected one of mine with this procedure. Give it a shot you've got nothing to lose.

Comment

• starramus
          starramus commented
          Editing a comment
          are your batteries OK?

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Good info starramus

• HappyDaze
          HappyDaze commented
          Editing a comment
          I think soaking in pH 4 calibration solution or KCl would be better. Based on what I've read, keeping a probe in RO or distilled is what screws them up. Oakton, BlueLab, Hanna....all of them say the same thing.

Some manufacturers recommend soaking in distilled water. I did purchase MA 9015 pH electrode storage solution, but I prefer neutrality. This method has worked on two different manufacturer’s pens. The results have proven satisfactory for me.

Comment

• starramus
          starramus commented
          Editing a comment
          Could it be that the “high end” manufacturers just might want to sell you expensive solutions? I would need to see the science to change my mind.

• HappyDaze
          HappyDaze commented
          Editing a comment
          Could you name a manufacturer who recommends distilled water? No one recommends what you're suggesting.... KCl is what you want that's what's IN the probe, and pH 4 reference solution will work...at $10 a liter, it's way cheaper than a new probe....those "High end" manufacturers supply equipment to real scientists, not just hobby gardeners, so it pays to learn from them.

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. You should not be soaking in DI or distilled. Just for rinsing off solution films over the sensor after testing.
          But not all probes are the same. Some have the fluid (no soaking required) and others do not (dry bulb = dead meter). I have seen $3000 professional meters turn into paper weights because some moron let the bulb go dry. This was at a hydro power plant and had nothing to do with gardening. More for corrosion effect on metal.
          Last edited by Toker1; 06-16-2019, 02:54 PM.

HappyDaze It seems you are determined to be right. I stumbled upon this solution myself, but later picked up this manual with a $14.95 pH pen. See attached photos. As you can well see the manual says soak in distilled. Since you are a self acclaimed scientist where is the "science" I requested? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0719.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	315994Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0721.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	315995

Comment

It even worked on this higher end pH/TDS meter which didn't cost and arm and a leg. You do realize that scientists have unlimited expense accounts?

This meter is kind of nice, because you can change out the probe as it has a coaxial cable connector. That is the usual failure the electrode. This is the pH/TDS-2983 Multi parameter continuous measuring instrument. (Damn sounds "scientific"!) I don't like getting into flame wars....Go do a bowl!

Comment

• HappyDaze
            HappyDaze commented
            Editing a comment
            Flame war?? haha...do what you want with your dollar store gear. Advising others to follow along? meh, not so helpful to the community.

Just sayin...

• HappyDaze
            HappyDaze commented
            Editing a comment
            Whatever you think "value" is...go for it....like I said above...the CANADIAN MADE NutriDip meter I recommended, lasted 15 years....I never needed to "think about it" sport, it worked every time I picked it up (probably cuz I knew how to look after it). BTW....didn't the O.P. ask why his/her meters were crapping out and for RECOMMENDATIONS?

Talk about jacking a thread and telling people what they should do?...LOL, your hatred of all things Chinese is duly noted, gotta blame someone for the state the States are in, eh? How's that wall coming along?

Nuffsed?

• starramus
            starramus commented
            Editing a comment
            No still not "nuff said". You asked for me to furnish the name of one manufacturer, and I provided actual photos of their manual. In a debate one should provide factual documentation, and you have not. I asked you to provide the science behind your assertion. I know quite well what the the higher end manufacturers state in this regard, but could there be a financial incentive? Still waiting for the science behind your claims. I have deleted some of my negative commentary which is not apropos to the subject.

OK All etar.... starramus This isn't my house, I'm the fucking NEeW-be and you're the deewd with 1200+ posts... let's just ask NebulaHaze and SiriusFourside how they store their meters, in RO water or KCl or 4.0 meter test solution?

thanks for playin, sport.
          400W HPS Mag Ballast
          GH Floro - DWC

GH Maxi Series-DWC

Comment

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            HappyDaze is correct. You never want to store a meter in RO, DI, or distilled water. That’s one way to shorten the lifespan of a meter.
            I can’t see what the other guy staramus is saying, because I blocked this guy a long time ago.
            You can add individuals to your ignore list. I suggest blocking out any and all consistent spreaders of misinformation on this site.

• starramus
            starramus commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't say store I said soak, and it worked. Toker1 blocked me because he was attempting to be the authority on a subject he had no experience in. Namely ordering from Seedsman, and their customs problems. No loss to me, I do not go along with unquestioning authoritarianism.
            Last edited by starramus; 06-22-2019, 12:05 PM.

4x4 600w HID empty for summer
          3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
          2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
          running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• starramus
            starramus commented
            Editing a comment
            Apparently all he can do is parrot a manufacturer. I don't see how he has any time to grow as he spends all of his time on this forum. Maybe his growing is only theoretical.
            Last edited by starramus; 06-22-2019, 12:48 PM.

I may have come across as dissing anyone who buys inexpensive gear, and that was definitely not what I was saying. There's two schools of thought when you're spending your money. You think, "hey this is great deal, it'll get me started", or "I'm laying down the cash for the long haul". This applies equipment and seeds too for that matter. (Am I going to lay down US$350 for a fresh pack of some Mendo X and grow it once, no).

If you look after your $40 Hanna dip stick and it suits your needs, great. I threw down for a multi meter and spent way more, hoping it would last (and counting on the 5 year warranty if the thing shits out).

Everyone's situation is different, and circumstances change. A year and a half ago, I blew CAN$1500 on a new LED and a bunch of stuff I didn't really need, and now I'm mixing my nutes from a pack of $22 powder to save a little $$$.

Peace

EDIT

Toker1 this is hilarious... I think the guy blocked me.
          Last edited by HappyDaze; 06-22-2019, 09:52 AM.
          400W HPS Mag Ballast
          GH Floro - DWC

GH Maxi Series-DWC

Comment

• starramus
            starramus commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't block I just IGNORE.

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol. Let him have fun f’n up his own meter.

• HappyDaze
            HappyDaze commented
            Editing a comment
            starramus you're doing a poor job of ignoring me, where's that self control you were beating your chest about on another thread I posted on??. If you wouldn't mind, add me to your ignore list. I won't be offended, honest, and you won't be tempted to continue this 'lil shit show.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X