Best way to 100% kill all bugs before bringing plant back inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to 100% kill all bugs before bringing plant back inside

I made the mistake of using a peat pot in the grow room and it molded on the sides. Set it outside for 2 days and then transplanted to small container using my outdoor stash of soil. Plant is looking awesome, but it's a photo and I want to flower it same time as it's sister which is inside and will be ready to start within 2 weeks (2 seedlings from 1 seed that was split apart).

I need something that will kill any bugs and then work itself out of the plants system over the next 2 months. Is it safe to use really powerful insecticides since I haven't started to flower yet? I'm mostly worried about something small in the soil I don't see. Only bugs in the grow room are a handful of house gnats every other day or so.

I have azamax right now and not sure if it would work to just drench the soil with it. What about taking it out of the soil, spray the roots down and then move it to my indoor soil? I know some plants respond fine to this and others will nearly die. The root system is fairly small despite being almost 6 weeks old. The seed made 2 plants, but this one was growing like a bonsai at first. The last few days I can notice it's ready to explode in size. Ideally I clean it, move to a 5g pot indoors and start flowering after 1 or 2 weeks of veg

Sounds like fungus gnats if you have mold. Keep air blowing over the soil. When you transplant, use diatomaceous earth mixed in with the soil. If you have room in your pot, otherwise, sprinkle some DE over the top of the soil and mix it in an inch or two until you transplant. I've gotten rid of gnats in all my house plants with the stuff. Poisons bedamned!

I have a dieffenbachia that was smelling bad like mold. I dosed it with a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. I'll let you look up ratios if you're interested. The plant dried a little extra and I have no more mold.
    Last edited by Gingerbeard; 06-01-2019, 06:50 PM.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6
    Nutes
    CalMag

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeard View Post
      Sounds like fungus gnats if you have mold. Keep air blowing over the soil. When you transplant, use diatomaceous earth mixed in with the soil. If you have room in your pot, otherwise, sprinkle some DE over the top of the soil and mix it in an inch or two until you transplant. I've gotten rid of gnats in all my house plants with the stuff. Poisons bedamned!

I have a dieffenbachia that was smelling bad like mold. I dosed it with a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. I'll let you look up ratios if you're interested. The plant dried a little extra and I have no more mold.
      I wouldn't say the mold was an issue. It was just the reason the plant ended up outside and then transplanted. No mold or fungus gnat issues indoor or outdoors, only a few house gnats every couple days. Seems impossible to get rid of every single house gnat in the grow room. No matter what, a couple appear every other day.

I'm worried about new bugs that may have appeared since it's been outside a few days. I have a huge garden and no pest issues, but anyone with an outdoor garden knows what I mean. Everything seems fine, but you still have some bugs regardless of what you do and I want all of them to die before moving the plant back.

I have DE and neem meal. Think your method would still help to kill any bugs and not just gnats / mold?

Comment

• Gingerbeard
        Gingerbeard commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess I was calling your house gnats fungus gnats. I did a little research and consider what I know about DE. DE treats gnats in general and anything that propagates in soil. If you're getting yours every few days, consider maybe they're laying larvae? Maybe feeding on something? They can't lay eggs and don't eat your plants leaves. They do their thing in the soil.
        I treat all my plants, regardless, because I don't trust fresh garden store soil. That stuff is lousy for soil born insects. I will buy a bag and empty it into a large planter I have to dry out. Also mixing DE. A little air over the soil in the tent and I got rid of my fungus gnats.
        H2O2 is good and bad. Good because it kills mold, fungus, larvae((?) it at least kills their food) and other soil born nasties. The stronger a solution is and the more mold/mildew/fungus there is, the more the soil bubbles up. Cool. Think treating a wound with it. It also adds extra oxygen to the soil. Bad because it can kill beneficial elements. I gave my dieffenbachia plain water then nutes when time after the H2O2 treatment. It's a happy plant.

Insect soap. Safe for organic gardening. Works on a wide range of pests as a foil spray. Use at beginning of lights out if possible.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Don't go runnin off to Walmart just yet. Here's a quick, easy, and cheap recipe for insecticidal soap.https://homeguides.sfgate.com/dawn-d...ent-82536.html

Comment

Originally posted by Toker1 View Post
          Insect soap. Safe for organic gardening. Works on a wide range of pests as a foil spray. Use at beginning of lights out if possible.
          I'll try this plus DE mixed in the soil. I just feel like there will be something small I won't see that will live. Maybe I am worrying to much. I already have a few soaps various insect soaps. Was hoping to find out about something powerful, but safe liquid I can drench the plant in and kill everything living in it so not a single outside bug makes it in. Perhaps this is overkill.

Comment

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Get beneficial Nematodes. The Steinernema feltiae will hunt out fungus gnat larva in soil.
            Maybe a few different species to go after them all.
            Beneficial Nematodes are insect parasitic roundworms adapted to parasitize an extensive number of pest insect species. Nematodes are available in three species: Heterorhabditis bacteriophora (grub/beetle control), Steinernema carpocapsae (flea control), and Steinernema feltiae (fungus gnat/thrips control). Choose the correct species for control of the specific pests that you wish to control using our Beneficial Nematodes selection chart.

• Gingerbeard
            Gingerbeard commented
            Editing a comment
            Toker, amigo. I didn't mention the nematodes although one of my old favorites for soil problems. I couldn't justify spending the money on two pots. Big fan...big fan.

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes! They have saved several grows of mine as well.

Orange oil and Garrett Juice will solve your problem. Use the orange oil at 1 oz. per gallon as a drench and 2 oz. per gallon as cleaner and critter killer in your grow area.

Comment

Kill 'em All.
            Maybe you researched, or not. If you get a good mix of DE in your soil, nothing is going to move around. Noting is going to go in or out. It's like trying to move around in glass to them. If flying insects get it on their little bodies, it's like getting glass under their wings.
            But in an indoor environment, a steady flow of air across the top of the soil. Don't give fliers a chance to land. Same-same everything if you're using smart pots.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6
            Nutes
            CalMag

Comment

Thanks for the help. Going to try DE / neem meal into the soil during transplant and orange oil drench before transplanting. I really wanted to leave it outside another week. I like how the sun is making it grow a bit taller. Main concern was that leaving it out longer would cause more issues before moving back in, but I feel confident this will work now and even another month from now.

Comment

• HappyDaze
                HappyDaze commented
                Editing a comment
                FWIW The DE works great when you carpet the top of your soil with it, I've never mixed it in. You want it placed so the critters have the opportunity to get covered in the stuff.

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                Just a comment on DE, make sure it is 'food grade DE" not crystallized!

• Gingerbeard
                Gingerbeard commented
                Editing a comment
                Surface application didn't work for me, HappyDaze. When I watered a time or two, I would have to reapply because it clumped up. If it mixes in with the soil, you can forget about it doing anything but slicing up bugs and their bug-uns. It doesn't take much. Mine are not smart pots but plastic ones I stabbed a bunch of times. Gnats would take residence in my violence and the bottom drain holes. Mixing DE with soil got rid them. All my holes have forever been infestation free since!

Rwise Yeah it's food grade. I made sure it was when I bought it because the original plan was to take it as a supplement. I was reading about some health benefits when you drink it. I did more research and after seeing how it kills bugs and all the warnings about not breathing it in I decided not to drink it.

Comment

• Rwise
                Rwise commented
                Editing a comment
                I have used it, It's claimed that it will not harm soft bodied creatures such as us, or earth worms, but deadly to exoskeletons,,, a bit in peanut-butter for the dog as a wormer,,, I myself do not think it works well,,, just my opinion,,,

MmmHmmml3 good plan don't drink it !
              Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
              indoor/outdoor grower
              1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
              Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
              Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Toker1
                Toker1 commented
                Editing a comment
                You can in-jest the food grade kind. Rocks and Old Shell fish deposits in the ground already add calcium to home drinking water. We all drink it, and don’t even realize it.
                Last edited by Toker1; 06-03-2019, 03:00 PM.

microbe-lift-bmc This should help with no effects. read down to growers tips. I use crushed mosquito larva biscuits, Works great. Just a thought. Good Growing !!

Comment

• MmmHmmml3
                MmmHmmml3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, looks like a good product.

Quit messing around and just buy some Neem Meal brew it in water or just cover your soil with it then water it in problem solved no more gnats and it kills the larvae plus makes anything in there not good for your soil unable to eat makes them throw up and if you can’t eat you die. Makes females unable to reproduce and more things I can’t thinkbof right now just look it up..

Comment

• MmmHmmml3
                MmmHmmml3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah I have neem meal, but have not thought about using a tea. I will check it out, thanks.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X