Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does organic soil naturally have nutrients in it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does organic soil naturally have nutrients in it?

Last year, I grew 2 plants in this soil that said it feeds for up to 6 months. I was later told that I shouldn't grow in soil that has added nutrients. One member, here, told me having the nitrogen in the soil, still, when you put your plants into the flower stage is no bueno.
    OK, so I went out and bought some soil labeled organic with the understanding that it didn't have added nutrients. Now, I'm reading that while it doesn't have added nutrients, it does have naturally occurring nutrients. I'm so fucked in the head.
    Last year, I started another pair of seeds in the newly acquired organic soil, and the plants grew very well in their Solo cups. Then I moved up to ~1 gal pots, and the plants seemed to stop growing. I later learned that the roots never really grew outward into the added soil in these pots. It was like the roots were repelled from growing into newly added soil needed for these new 1 gal pots. I ended up throwing my plants in the trash.
    Now, I'm growing in this same batch of organic soil for this year's grow, and they've only reached ~5.5" tall in 7 weeks!
    It's like this soil is bad, toxic or whatever, even though the 2nd pair of plants from last year, and the 4 plants(but, a different strain) from this year look fantastic, they just don't seem to grow much.
    I don't think I'm going to get to smoke this year, at all!
    AMS Supreme, auto-fems from AMS.
    Using FOX FARMS Happy Frog soil in ~2 Gal pots.
    Only one VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series V450 LED Grow Light is being used for this grow.
    4' x 4' grow tent
    6" inline exhaust system
    Growing in an outdoor structure w/ no HVAC system

The first batch, when you pulled them how did their roots look? The reason I ask is "organic" soil can be hot, to hot for our girls (just did that myself). What soil did you get? I have not used it, but read that Fox Farms Ocean Forest is one that is to hot for seedlings.
    BTW I cut my soil 50% with sand from the garden,,,,
    I transplanted one sprout out of the to hot soil, it had no root at all, in the new soil it is doing well,
    Good Luck!

Comment

think about it this way: there are two things plants can eat, one is bacteria and fungi poop, the soil contains nutrients for the bacteria within the soil and the byproducts feed the roots. and the second thing plants can eat is specially made nutrients for plants that require no bacteria to be used. basically the most basic compounds roots actually absorb.
      so any "organic" soil contains many nutrients for bacteria and fungi which will feed the plant. soils with "added nutrients" have the other kind of nutrients in mineral form mixed with the soil so they leach overtime. hopefully this helps

Comment

Oh boy. Let’s start from the beginning. The soils with added nutrients, I’m guessing you mean hot soil that has time released elements. Yes, your buddy was correct in saying you don’t want time released because of the lack of control over the elements being released and the timing involved.
        Now let’s define 2 things, organic and inorganic. Organic must have carbon-carbon or carbon-hydrogen bonds. Pure water (H2O) is inorganic. Soil is typically made up of organic materials. The difference between organic gardening, and not, is how we feed the plants. Non-organic feeds are ready to use by plants. You can burn plants if you use too much. Microbes are recommended, but not necessary for success.
        Organic feed is not readily available for plants to feed off of, it requires microbes to brake down the organic material into usable elements for the plant.
        Last edited by Toker1; 05-29-2019, 10:43 AM.
        4x4 600w HID empty for summer
        3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
        2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
        running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

organic is like make own soil in garden with a composter from food and garden waste,no chems even slow release chemicals.if it say added nuts it probaly worm castings etc..if you want organic performance best to buy liguid organic fertilizer or make teas.And add mycorrhizal fungi a natuaral fungu that aids organic roots uptake more..
          Last edited by Scarletwhitewidow; 05-29-2019, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X