Pre-flower defoliation critique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-flower defoliation critique

Here we have my first GWE sanctioned defoliation. I'm going to flower on Sunday. Yesterday was nutes. Today was the trimming.
    The lower fan leaves were trimmed, being wary of the bud sites, and the uppers were left alone. Lots of room in the middle to pull in secondary colas and give good circulation. The picture Close is what I'm calling a 'secondary cola.' This pic is pre-pre-flower defoliation. The two lowest fan leaves were removed.
    Had I not done a little LSTing, the plants would be in the 14" range. Best case scenario, I double my height during flowering which would put me 4" above my max height of 24". That'll take some CLSTing (Clever LSTing.)
    The -A and -B pictures are before and after. Int- are before and after inside the flower chamber. I don't seem to be able to change the order of the photos. Sorry about that.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Looking very good!
    Flower Tent: (12/12)
    600W HPS Flowering
    1 x Jack Herer 2 Auto - Potters Gold Soil
    1 x Gelato - Coco
    2 x Strawberry Banana - Coco

Veg Room: (14/8)
    1500W LED
    1 x Jack Herer 3 Auto - Coco
    3 x Mexican Airlines Auto - Fast Buds - Coco
    1 x G13 - Seed King - Coco
    1 x Gelato (Bonsai Mom) - Clone - Coco
    1 x Bubba Cheese Auto - HBS - Coco

Veg Tent:
    300W COBB LED
    Empty

First Grow Journal and Clone Journal
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...needed-a-hobby

Strawberry Banana, Gelato & Jack Herer Auto Grow Journal
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...a-x2-gelato-x1

All Auto's Journal
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...auto-s-journal

Gelato Bonsai Mother Project
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...onsai-mom-grow

Comment

Looks good but Looks like a lot of N in there. or am i overreacting to the dark green Colours all the time like a newb?

Comment

Ginger, my recent experience with what you refer to as secondary colas: They did indeed shoot up, and they were long and lanky with some decent bud at the top, but naked all the way down. If I had LST'd better, I would have

a. had a concrete plan of how many colas I wanted to develop, and
        b. I would have pruned away the competition that shoots up during the first three weeks of flowering with very few internodes.

If I'd done that, I would have ended up with 8 big ol fat colas per each plant instead of a few fat colas and a bunch of colas with a nice bud sites only at the top.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Thanks, all.
          Alltatup, come Sunday I'll have three weeks until my next defoliation. I have each plant trained and trimmed for four main colas. I'm working with decent bag seed and haven't grown this one. Comparing this to the others I've grown, there are a lot of these secondary's. I'll see how they do over the next three weeks. If they take up too much room for the mains, I'll cut them. Although I 'm hesitant to. My major beginners harvest of only 18 seeded grams have been the result of over defoliation.
          On a side note, a banana Kush dab, or more, because I have to dust my ficas. Probably more.
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Gingerbeard I could be totally off base on your plant; I limited the final harvest by too much defol. and not enough training.

Okay. Wherever I have a bud site I have a secondary. If I trim these I literally will have four long stems with a couple leaves at the ends that are producing more secondaries. There are no main colas. An interesting thing is that both plants are doing the same thing. I almost think they're the same strain of bag seed but one is showing 7, 8, and 9 fingers while the other is showing 5 and 7 fingers. I figure about the only thing I can do is remove the fan leaves at the bases of the secondaries and let genetics take it's course.
          The picture of the tall plant cam from GWE at the web site below. Old Head had a couple plants that were lanky like this. They grew to over five feet tall. Could it be I'm training and butchering a strain that is naturally lanky?
          I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that going 12x12 will change things up.

by Nebula Haze Introduction to Bud-Based Defoliation What is cannabis defoliation, and why/how does removing leaves from a cannabis plant increase yields?
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X