400 watt hid vs 450 watt viparspectra reflector series led

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! 400 watt hid vs 450 watt viparspectra reflector series led

I am using a dimmable 400 watt HID MH/HPS light fixture on a 15 amp GFS circuit. I am considering switching to a Viparspectra 450 watt reflector series LED light in an attempt to lower my stealth grow room temperatures. My current light sometimes blows the GFS breaker and then won't light back up until it cools back down and is re-activated again by my timer. I grow in soil but I want to switch to a DWC bubbleponics system I built but I don't want to buy a fixture that won't work in my garage closet or won't lower my temperatures. I also run a small vent fan & 2 oscillating fans on the same circuit. HELP! I would appreciate any suggestions, my room is 2x5, but I don't run a 2 light rotation because it just gets too hot. I have tried this before using cfl's in 1 side separated from the HID, it was just too hot, even in the winter.
    If weed is healthy...why am I so broken down?

Do you use an air cooler hood?

Comment

• SDwy
      SDwy commented
      Editing a comment
      No, but I have a small fan cooling the bulb, the hood is a large batwing.

Yes, the LED will lower your amp draw. This will lower temperature and final yeild.
    If you want the larger yields... try one of these for your lights. I think this will solve your amp draw issue.
    http://www.titancontrols.net/shop/pr...pander-15-amps
    lastly, do you have an air cooled reflector? Those will truly reduce the operation temps much more than a cheap LED is capable of.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• SDwy
      SDwy commented
      Editing a comment
      No my hood is a batwing, but I have a small fan blowing on the bulb to cool it a bit.

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      The small fan cooling the bulb is disbursing the heat around the room. To reduce temperatures... get an air cooled hood with inline fan. Vent the heat from the light outside. This will be your best option.

Cooled not cooler

Comment

Remember LED need height some will leaf burn at 36"
      You don’t have to be better than everybody else. You should strive to be better than you ever thought you could be.------Todd Y. 1986

Comment

The only way you will reduce the thermal load to your grow space would be by introducing less power(watts) into the grow space. Either you have fewer photons of light or you use a more efficient source of those photons compared to your HPS light. Fixtures like the Vipar at best match the HPS in efficiency(most do not) so unless you use current tech diodes like QB's, light strips and some cobs you will see no improvement. I'd suggest that you focus on your ventilation issues and stick with the HPS.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• SDwy
          SDwy commented
          Editing a comment
          I vented my grow room to the outside and I also bought a viparspectra 600 watt reflector series grow light which I will try starting today. I am switching to DWC for my next grow and have built the system. I will experiment with it by using clones from my current crop, which is a bag seed strain I've been growing for a couple of years. I have ordered my first seeds from Nirvana, white widow autos & OG Kush autos & they will be my first grow with purchased seeds. If I am not happy with the fixture I can go back to my 400 watt HID. I want to get serious about my growing now, my wife has colon cancer & I want to learn to make edibles for her. I've been growing my own for 3 years, since I retired but consider myself a rookie. It's time to get serious now. Thanks for your help!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X