Plant supports & training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Plant supports & training

I am getting close to my first TD-DWG try and I am duplicating GWE's setup. When finished I'll post materials, sources & cost since that is a variable. Estimated cost is $60 per setup .
    My question is regarding training. First what, if anything, do you guys use for supports? I'm ordering twist ties and soft ties per the LST guide but am wondering about any supports and their need? Also as a Hydro newbie I want to know what the community suggests for cropping? I have about 10 yrs experience as an unguided indoor soil grub with a mediocre growing guide. Thanks for your help.

Plant yo yo’s are great to have in end of flower.
    I either top with LST until a few weeks into flower or I main line then LTS until a few weeks into flower.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Originally posted by Toker1 View Post
      Plant yo yo’s are great to have in end of flower.
      I either top with LST until a few weeks into flower or I main line then LTS until a few weeks into flower.
      What is LST?

Comment

Welcome, koolkat

I run RDWC-done the 5gal buckets and now in 17 gal totes. I use a combo of trellis netting and yo-yo's to train my plants. The trellis is about 15" above the netlid and allows me to spread out the canopy to maximize the exposure to my lamps footprint. I only use a single layer of netting but you could continue to add layers of trellis as the plant stretches. Yo-yo's keep the colas from flopping and prevent branches from snapping. Good luck with your grow.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I ended up building a rig out of PVC and furniture grade fittings. It is in two layers and the top layer comes apart for ease of access and ability to move it through a door. Since it's PVC it can be scaled to any need. The only real cost is fittings. I just wrote Nebula to see if she would like a little DIY on it. I'm retired and find I miss developmental projects. Can't BELIEVE I just said that! I'll be happy to collaborate anyone else out who's interested in the same sort of setup. Where legal it might be a good rig for outdoor croppers as well.

Comment

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I love a good old fashion engineering project!
          Only issue is PVC is prone to chemical leaching. I never suggest using it for water surfaces in growing apparatuses.

PVC leaching? We're all dead again! Half the cold water supply lines on earth are PVC. There was an issue with hot water use leaching it and CPVC was the solution, but plain PVC is still used in main supply lines. In any case this trellis is completely external to the growing rig. Mines not even in the same room during seedling stage. FWIW I learned to hate CPVC during my plumbing years. It's like glass, hit it and boom, freeze it and re-plumb a house. BTDT. I use PVC underground and copper above.

Comment

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s kind of extreme. I’m more concerned about my buds dank flavor than I am about it ever killing me.
          Nice. Reminds me of my contractor days working under DWR and LADWP. I have done water treatment for power generation. Mostly galvanized piping.

I had a few packs of these clips lying around the house so I bought some of that bendy, rubber wire and just clip it to the top of my bucket lid. I do check my water daily so taking those things on and off does become a chore sometimes. I love tinkering with my plant so any excuse to be in my tent easily puts a smile on my face. I just top and lst until I get my desired shape and I'll save a few brancehs for clones.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X