No announcement yet.

First Grow GG#4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read up on “bonsai mothers”. Could be a good solution for your cabinet. Until recently I kept all my mothers in tiny 3” pots and it worked great.
    Rawtton by Ethos Journal

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion
      I will check this out.
      Cannabis capsules 4 all 💊

First Grow Northern Lights

"I will always be improving "(tinkering)"
      "Not all those who wander are lost"
      J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

I wanted to update my grow journal.

Here are some new shots of my plant.

I am continuing to train my plant as I want to make it fairly even across the top.

Hoping to spread even more.

Here is a shot of my clones

It has been 7 days since I cut these clones.

No roots showing yet, but I am keeping them misted and covered.

Hope to see roots in another week.

My main concern right now is when I should start giving my main plant some nutrients.

When should I start, and do you have a recommendation for a first time grower?

What type of nutes should I use and how often?

Currently I am watering every three days with pH 6.5 water.

Thanks for your assistance.

J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

Hey C, She looks real happy in her home! Trimmed out real nice. Hope the cabinet works out ! Nice Job ! Good Growing !!

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement
            what do you use for nutes?
            Is it too early to start feeding this girl?
            How much do you use?

J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
              LurkingInTheGrass commented
              Editing a comment
              your in 3 gallon fabric pots? what did you end up choosing for a grow medium?

• Cannacaps4U2
              Cannacaps4U2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Lurking
              I went with Foxfarms ocean forest
              I have heard that this soil has nutes mixed in with the soil

• LurkingInTheGrass
              Editing a comment
              I grow in Hydro (so my nute schedule won't help you)

they claim the Ocean Forest is good until end of Veg (no real number though )
              if they have been in their pots for 40-50 days, I would be comfortable starting a light veg regimen - just to see how she likes it

since you started with FoxFarms - stick with them (if you can)

check out Colombo thread. he is using the FoxFarms trio

I have been using Fox Farm Nutes. Grow Big, Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom with Cal Mag and Grandmas unsulfered Molasses. I'am happy with their performance so far, the finish will tell all. Future Journal, My New Years Grow from Santa Good Growing!!

Comment

I added the top of a tomato cage to my 3 gallon pot. This gives me the advantage of being able to tie the branches down and will hopefully allow me to complete the flowering process without my plant getting too tall.

I also took my last 4 cuttings from this plant. I am trying a new rooting solution, organic raw honey.

I have trimmed a few upper fan leaves to allow more light to penetrate.

Current pictures.

Planning on flipping to 12/12 next weekend.

I added “big bloom” and “grow big” to water today.

I will get a small fan to add a bit more air movement.

J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

• Cannacaps4U2
                Cannacaps4U2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Colombo what cloning method do you use?
                I am trying raw honey as a rooting agent, then rockwool cubes in a humidity dome.
                I have heard some people have great results from this
                I'll post pictures of my new cabinet tomorrow.

• Colombo
                Colombo commented
                Editing a comment
                I scraped the sides about 1"up from the bottom to get surface area to root and dip into cloning gel and direct into growing media that will be the same for the entire grow. Just ph water, let the soil do the rest till transplant if the roots take. Its the way my dad did back in the day. I will know in a couple days if it's going to happen. We can only hope!
                Last edited by Colombo; 03-17-2019, 11:01 PM. Reason: added content.

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                She looks great, caps! You will have a bud monster on your hands when she stretches!!

Pictures of my second cabinet. This will be used for keeping a mother plant. Will also be used for starting and vegging clones.

The cabinet is 24” wide, 22” deep, and 36” high.

I am using a 2ft t-5 light with 4 43 watt 6500k bulbs.

There is a flat panel heater setup with a thermostat to keep the (dark) temps between 63 and 65.

You can also see that there is a 3” vent fan, as well as vent holes on bottom of right side.

I have placed weather stripping all the way around the door. Not so much for light prevention, as this will be 18/6 lights, but to keep heat in while lights are on.

I'll be using 4” pots and rectangle tray.

Best news of the day, 5 out of 6 of the very first cuttings are showing roots, after 30 days!
              Last edited by Cannacaps4U2; 03-18-2019, 06:46 PM.

J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

• Colombo
                Colombo commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Cannacaps4U2, congrats on the girls getting legs and nice job on the cabinet clone it came out just as I expected ! Real nice job ! Good Growing !!

Good growing mate ! Love the custom cabinet. Nothern Lights looks nice and healthy

Comment

Hey Colombo and smokey
                thanks for the compliments
                I have always been a woodworker (not by trade), but I do enjoy it.

I had all but given up on those clones after 3 weeks I actually opened up two of the rockwool cubes
                At that time they stlll had no roots.

Guess it is good to know that after 30 days you can still get rooted clones

J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

• alltatup
                  alltatup commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cannacaps4U2 That should be the Cannabis Cultivator's Creed: "I'll always be improving (tinkering)."

• Cannacaps4U2
                  Cannacaps4U2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL
                  Just changed my signature line 😎

• alltatup
                  alltatup commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cannacaps, Excellent!!! And not all those who tinker are lost!!! :-} This could become endless!!

I like the set up good job. Wish the cabnet doors I tried to make looked that good lol

Comment

• Cannacaps4U2
                  Cannacaps4U2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks I still have a ways to go but currently GROWING very well!

Drying and curing.

I know I have probably 3 to 4 weeks left of flowering.

However I have been looking for information on drying and curing.

Seems most of what I have found is based on users who inhale 😎 LOL

I am growing for edibles only (mainly coconut oil capsules, and the occasional Canna butter).

It seems to me that the drying and curing process might be different for me?

Any special instructions for medical edibles growers?
                Any differences in harvesting or trimming?
                I had planned on using as much plant material as I can

Mike

J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't think it's different

But, alltatup, the queen of tinctures and concentrates will know 😁

Hi Cannacaps4U2 It looks like those plants have more than 3-4 weeks left????? Did I miss something?

Re: Canna-cooking: You might find this interesting: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...periment/page2

We all had fun, and I discovered that eating the gently-simmered leaves of a plant in flower got me very high.

I agree with you: drying and curing aren't important for your purposes. But decarboxylation is. Do you know if you want to decarb your bud? If you want to get high, decarb first. If you don't want to get high, use raw.

If you're decarbing, I highly recommend this lil machine: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ylator-machine The less heat used in the process of decarbing cannabis, the more intact all the medicinal chemicals are. I'm all in for precision.

I personally believe that the more holistic the medicine is--i.e., you use as much of the plant as possible--the better. So I make tinctures where I throw everything in the alcohol and let it steep for a good long time. Dark Green Dragon. I like tincture; I haven't ventured into edibles yet, cuz I had a bad experience w/ edibles around a decade ago...

LurkingInTheGrass I'd say I'm more the wicked witch of the east of tinctures and concentrates, rather than the queen....
                Last edited by alltatup; 05-13-2019, 12:56 AM.
                Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
                2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
                Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Cannacaps4U2
                  Cannacaps4U2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My 3 to 4 weeks estimate was SWAG (silly wild ass guess), as this is my first grow I have no idea
                  Looking at general flowering times, I am guessing.
                  Yes I have been making CannaCaps for some time now so I am well versed on decarbing.

So if drying and curing aren't that important what would be your process?

• LurkingInTheGrass
                  Editing a comment
                  alltatup

Yes, my queen 😘

Cannacaps4U2
                  I like that - SWAG
                  Never heard it before

Cannacaps, you better start reading so that you know what you're doing, what to expect in bud development and when and how to harvest ripe buds. It's very sad when folks put in all the time and money only to come out with a mediocre product cuz they didn't really learn how to do it right. Here are good places to start:
                Learn what your cannabis should look like (with pictures) so you can maximize marijuana yields by focusing on the right factors each week of the flowering stage. Know what to expect!

Harvesting cannabis at the right time is just as important as how you grow the plant. Harvest marijuana buds too soon and you lose potency and yields; too late and you can end up making a batch of sleep medicine. Learn how to harvest at the perfect time, every time! Here's what you need...

When is the best time to harvest? See a picture gallery of "ready to harvest" cannabis buds, plus explanations for the buds that are weird or hard to tell!

You should also read the Dry and cure tutorial.

What would be my process for what??

LurkingInTheGrass How about sorceress? Medicine woman? Stoned elder with some wisdom and much silliness?
                Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
                  Editing a comment
                  We will find an acceptable title for you 😁

• Cannacaps4U2
                  Cannacaps4U2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ATU
                  I have been reading for quite some time.
                  I will refresh my knowledge with the links you posted.
                  I know that I want to harvest when my trichomes are mostly Amber (as I want a sedating experience)
                  What I was asking you about your process, is do you treat drying and curing differently for edibles than for smoking?
                  You stated that drying and curing aren't that important for my purposes.

Cannacaps4U2 I didn't mean to sound dictatorial about reading in previous post; I wrote that because your buds look like they are just beginning and will probably need for than 3-4 weeks. I didn't know if you knew what to look for towards the end of flowering or not. I would suggest not waiting until mostly amber, as so much of the chemical content will degrade. Too much amber seems to me like an over-ripe banana or an apple that's going mushy. But that's just my take: if you like lots of CBN for sedation, I understand what you're going for.

I definitely like to cure my bud for vaping, as I have found that a well-cured bud packs a stronger and smoother punch. But I have a buddy who likes me to decarb freshly-dried bud for him before he vapes it, so I decarb in my Ardent Nova for him. When you decarb fresh dry herb in the Nova, it comes out nicely browned and smelling fantastic, because the Nova temperature and process preserve all the terpenes.

Curing improves the smoking/vaping experience: it makes the bud smoother. Ed Rosenthal says that curing doesn't transform the potency of the bud, but many others maintain that curing does make the bud more potent, or as Nebula says, people perceive higher potency. So there's no final answer on that one yet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ardent Nova.jpg Views:	5 Size:	109.0 KB ID:	304603

Curing isn't necessary for edibles because edibles go to the stomach rather than the lungs. I made a tincture yesterday from my present harvest (some buds are dry and in cure jars, other buds are still hanging): I decarbed all the bud that went into the tincture, including some that was still hanging to dry. The decarb process removes excess moisture, so after the wetter bud was decarbed, I just let it sit out for a while to evaporate any remaining moisture (in cool area, in shadows) before I added it to the alcohol. Then I put it in the freezer and let it steep.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X