Weight in bud issue..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight in bud issue..

I've started using a scale to weight my final product (harvest/ dry/ cured) and it seems like the volume of weed far exceeds what you think it would weigh. Example: I have large wide mouth mason jars, i weighed one that was completely full, but it was only registering 11 grams.... this was disappointing. My process: I used the same jar and just got the difference between full jar and empty (tried another jar just to be match results - 13 grams. So 11-13g). Does that amount seem right?? Looking at it ,it seems there would be at least an oz.

Have I dried my pot too long and now there is no weight? (I dry it over about 5-7 days - check daily - not brittle. then i store/burp them in a jar with a 62% boveda humidipak). if so, this will make it difficult to know exactly what I have....

Have I harvested too early? I use a loupe to check the trichomes - looked cloudy.

Is the scale just crap? Apparently the scale doesn't register 2 grams - which is why I weighed a jar full. Initially as I was putting bud on the scale nothing was even registering for a very long time. The pile seemed extremely large for such a small measurement.

Or is my whole perceived notion skewed and I have no idea what an oz looks like.

I have attached a picture of what I have jarred so far - 3 NYC Diesel (Autos). How much do you think I have so far? Note: Every jar is not to its full capacity - there are some halves.

Let me know what you think. thank you!
    Last edited by CaptPicard; 12-30-2018, 10:05 PM.

I think it’s a density issue, some plants make small dense heavy nugs and some others make big fat light colas. An ounce of high quality well dried bud will occupy way more space than branchy seedy brickweed. Only high end scales can weight less than 2 grams. The best brand I know is “tanita” but any scale will do fine for an ounce. I used to roll joints as a “job” and got very used to eyeballing an ounce and weighing 0.5 - 0.8 per joint. I use to be able to guess how much stem weight is in an ounce (usually between 1 - 2.5 grams) you kinda have to hold it in your hand for that

Comment

If it smokes good and does what want who cares about wieght. Looks like u had a great grow I don't weigh my grows I base it on how good the smoke is. Great job capt happy growing

Comment

• CaptPicard
        CaptPicard commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks KTM690! Good points. I wanted to have an idea for baking edibles - not a huge deal ill just need to test it out when i do it . Also, wanted to weigh it so i can sell to a few people... Im not really in it for money, but it's nice to recover some cost of what is required to grow.

• CaptPicard
        CaptPicard commented
        Editing a comment
        From what i gather from my brother he says its some of the best stuff hes had. So that definitely helps my mind set. Also further confirmation from you great folks helps.

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        Send a nug my way and I’ll let you know 😜 remember people will pay extra money for high quality “artisanal” pesticide free weed. Just because nobody but you has touched those buds gives them more appeal, specially sick patients with a compromised immune system

Take it out of the jar and see if it weighs the same as it does inside the jar (make sure to properly account for the individual jar’s weight when weighing the bud inside the jar). After all is said and done pop a nickel (if you are in US) on the scale and make sure you get 5 grams when weighing the nickle. This will limit the variables.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• CaptPicard
        CaptPicard commented
        Editing a comment
        Ill give it a shot. My sister in law is coming over with her scale so ill compare the two scales.

Just an update on this.... i used my sisters scale and was getting more realistic quantities volume wise. If anyone else has come across this be sure you use a reliable scale. It was about an oz for one mason jar. Thanks all for your help and comments.

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup. It’s best to keep a known weight (I use an American nickel) close by when weighing. You can check the known weight against the scale to ensure accuracy.
        Just an FYI, low battery power can also alter the results of a scale.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X