Basic setup for indoors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic setup for indoors

I've been growing outdoors for years with really good results. But this year I am working on getting an indoor operation going. Mainly because of my neighbors that I know are doing the same right but they cause alot of riff raff that usually ends up with the law showing up and I do not want to be caught up in it. Right now in my basement I built a wooden frame outlined the inside with foil. I just have a 100watt grow light on it with a fan circulating. I just have 2 small plants for now. I just ordered 6 premium seeds so i'm wanting to make sure I make em happy enough to clone etc. I plan on purchasing a tent.

Apollo Horticulture 36”x36”x72” Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent for Indoor Plant Growing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9N29SC..._Ah8fCb4ZR8AGM

I've never laid eyes on one of these so I'm not really sure what i'm getting into. So I'm wondering, just to start off would a fan move enough air around to suit my needs, 2-3 plants. And could I get by with just that for the time being with out having to purchase blowers. filters and other stuff? I look at pictures online and get nervous when I see all the duct work, etc. I'm sure once I actually have it in front of me it would make more sense. But right now I'm just trying to be very basic and slowly upgrade and add. Im on a tight budget as well. I would just stick with what I have but it does get a little cool down there . Any ideas and tips appreciated.

I know I sound like a complete dumb ass but indoor growing is something I've just never done but I think its necessary right now, for my situation. Thanks

Hey Killa, You're gonna need more light, which will help heat your tent. The charcoal filter can wait awhile til the veg stank hits. For another thirty bucks youcan get the 48x48x80 tent, if you have the room you'll be glad you did. Just about any little old fan is good enough to start with, the air just needs to move. As far as duct work when the time comes you can just let it vent right outta the tent into the basement. Get good soil, and you're gonna need a Ph. meter or some way to check your water, and nutrients. The list goes on and on. Have fun!

Comment

• killnkind
      killnkind commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate the reply.  I actually had the 80" picked out but realized, it was not going to fit. I have ph meter, nutrients, etc. I've been growing for years but outdoors. 
      so would I be looking for a fan that fits on to the side?
      I was wondering if it would work that way,  and just 
      vent it out the other side. Like I said it may make more sense when I actually see one.  What's light would you recommend also?

thanks
      ​​​​​​​mike

From one dumbass to another - How ya doin?
    ​​​​​​​Sounds like you've got a good start happening. Now for some help - tin foil really isn't any good, 'mylar' is what you want - or - finish the walls and paint them flat white. Tent's are best. A fan moving the air around is all I've ever used. If it gets too cold, you'll have to consider some kind of small heater. 100 watt grow light is a good start for seedlings. You'll need more juice when they grow up.

I have a basic system and i'll include a pic for ya. 3x3x7.5 gorilla with a Vortex fan stuck on the wall just sucking the air out slowly. You'll see I have the lower vents open and I leave them open for the airflow because I only grow autoflowers and don't have to worry about light leaks. From the pic - hose goes another 5 feet to vent out of the house - stacked washer and dryer beside the freezer.

You're an experienced grower, so with a bit of training 3 plants would fit comfortably. Good luck in your endeavor. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181217_103254.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	540.9 KB
ID:	276625
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      No fan intake - vortex fan on the walls sucks big time - hehehe - takes air from the bottom and out the top, gives plants and light clean air. And I leave it running so long as the light is on. Fan also has a variable speed control, so it's not just on or off or low or medium or high - it's adjustable.

• killnkind
      killnkind commented
      Editing a comment
      How does the exhaust stick up there? Are the walls that sturdy? ( yeah im clueless)

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      The fan is bolted to the wall - the venting is secured to the wall.

It's great you checked in- as outdoor growing and indoor are 2 different animals.

The two biggest factors you have to provide indoors that you didn't need worry about outside are: light and air movement -ventilation plus circulation as mentioned above.
    They are the most important part of an indoor grow which many overlook.

The marketing machine has placed too much emphasis on nutrients/suppliments etc- so don't get caught up in that.
    If you have good plant reading skills from outdoor growing- that will help- just providing what your plant needs.

For now, a fan for circulation is fine, but more info on your light is needed.

Once you get enclosed in a tent, exhausting humid air will become an issue.

If you need to heat, I found it useful to consider blue/purple LED's as it's biproduct is heat!

Temperature ranges from about 65-80 degrees and good watering practices go along way for a successful garden.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0109.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1,017.6 KB ID:	276696 vivosun 4" exhaust variable speed and 1 circulation fan for over canopy
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0108.JPG Views:	1 Size:	889.2 KB ID:	276697 overall view
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0110.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	276698 window fan for intake under canopy circulation
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0111.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	276695 either outside vent or inside carbon filter

Last edited by Weed Pharma; 12-17-2018, 04:44 PM.
    It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• killnkind
      killnkind commented
      Editing a comment
      Its actually a 150w.. I just realized it. It's a feit electric flood.. that I got from menards. What's the most inexpensive route to pull that air out?

• Weed Pharma
      Weed Pharma commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a 2x4x6 tent and extremely happy with this fans performance: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      It stays dialed down most of the time- It would work well for your 3x3 tent, too.
      You can exhaust it out without ducting- if you are not trying to hide the smell.
      I'll take a pic of my set up.

your light won't get you very far.

• killnkind
      killnkind commented
      Editing a comment
      Im actually not too concerned about the smell right now so that may work

I just purchased a Apollo tent and it's got light leaks everywhere.
    640 watt hlg quantum board
    320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
    300 watt mars hydro sp3000
    150 watt hlg quantum board
    100 watt spider farmer led x2
    organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
    Water only i don't check ph
    6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

• killnkind
      killnkind commented
      Editing a comment
      Well shit, you just destroyed my dreams. Now im scared ( clouds Comment)

• Colombo
      Colombo commented
      Editing a comment
      nothing to be scared about LOL ! When I started here I thought I was out of the league also but it is actually easier than it looks. It all boils down to preference. if you can grow a tomato you can grow weed!! Draw what you are looking for on paper and start from there add/ delete the items you think you need. look each item up for price and purchase etc. then put it all together. My mom always said, Never compromise your dreams, they are the only thing in life truly yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Baby steps before Big steps! And when you finally harvest you can then lay back and "TRULY ENJOY your DREAM"

• killnkind
      killnkind commented
      Editing a comment
      I shot you a PM colombo

Growing Like a Tomato! LOL

Comment

• killnkind
      killnkind commented
      Editing a comment
      Dam right she is. Pretty. If I posted a picture what I have right now I'll get kicked off the website. Maybe I should because I need help.

Thanks Colombo maybe if I look up those fans I can get an idea. That's sorta what's confusing me at the moment is the whole air in and exhaust/heat out part. I don't plan on anything fancy, I just use the foxfarm soils and nutrients. That's what i'm comfortable with and have had the best luck with. That would be as crazy as I'll get. I was having trouble finding any seeds at all Around my neck of the woods so I just spend 150 on some good ones online. I just want to make sure nothing dumb happens. I was wanting to practice on some bullshit seeds but no where to be found so I went all in

Comment

• Colombo
      Colombo commented
      Editing a comment
      Start 2 and dial your system in so you do not waste your seeds and time. This way your next grow is a little less complicated

Ok since I got you dudes on board and laughing at me, here is another question I'm going to throw in here. This is a heavy weight fruit punch. I cloned it while early stage of flowering. Early Oct I brought it in and put it under 24-0 for about a week.. then switched it to 18-6 it seemed to bounce back. Had crazy leaves then started normal leaves. Timer went on the fritz, didn't know it for a couple weeks. Well started flowering again. I just kept it at 18-6 but it seems to just be stuck at this height ( 8 inches) and really no changes for a month. Looks pretty healthy but not doing shit. my initial idea was to bring it in and just keep it alive because I really liked this strain. And then clone it in june. Before I decided to move everything indoor.. what would you do. Any ideas?
    Attached Files

Comment

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      You've stunted it - I doubt if it will grow much taller. Put it to 12/12 and let it finish -- or.........
      Also- It hasn't had enough light.

Hey K, I just received mine in the mail, Christmas Gift from my Kids, Will start the New Year! I have a lifetime of seeds collected as indicated in my grow and never had problems. Mystery Seeds. I will be dead before I can use them, LOL . Have to leave them in my will LOL. Attached some items that might help! After harvest I will create a single manifold for my ventilation system and change to black vent tubing to stop light transfer through the vent tubing (Highly reflective inside). I use no fans in the tent only lights, leaves more for the grow. I have been able to dial everything in just using basics! 6" air vent in at bottom and two 4" exhaust , one top one side with filters. The fans come in 4" 80 CFM '6" 250 CFM' 8'' 500 CFM Keep a written journal, it helps you tune it all in! Again ,Good Luck with your grow!!

Comment

• killnkind
      killnkind commented
      Editing a comment
      Good kids. My mom was actually buying me the tent for xmas I just have to pick one out. Where do you store your seeds for safe keeping? I've kept mine in my freezer. My cousin gave me like 60 seeds last week so far all duds.

• killnkind
      killnkind commented
      Editing a comment
      Well im glad you posted these pics now I got some idea

• Colombo
      Colombo commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool dark dry place so they do not dry out, back of my bottom dresser draw.

i also dont use ducting. needed it at 1000 watts but not at 600.have an chimney in room with a fan strapped to its opening.i do stink sometimes though.

Comment

• Colombo
      Colombo commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you Canuck, 2019 they say is the vote now, who knows anymore, They still will not allow grow! Until then the smell is still Illegal!! "Keep the circle small" is my motto!

• Ell
      Ell commented
      Editing a comment
      its a stovepipe for that room alone nothing else goes through it

• Colombo
      Colombo commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be similar to a drier vent, That works!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X