I've got the new grower blues need some advice from you guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got the new grower blues need some advice from you guys

I know I've made mistakes but I'm stumped as for what to do. I know that my soil was probably hot, 50/50 manure and organic potting soil. I started them in these little cups that you just put the whole cup in the next pot, instead of having to take it out of a cup. I planted 1blue dream, 2 white widow, and 1 girl scout cookie. I germinated on 11/12. I have had a problem with the lower leaves yellowing and dying, and burnt tips. Also I feel like the should be way bigger at 5 weeks than they are. I started using nutrients in the 3rd week, half of recommended amount for light dose. Blue dream has always been the healthiest, but in the last few days has started to droop and look weak. I have struggled to keep my temperature consistent but normally 70-80. The humidity is in the 30s and I realize that it should be a little higher. My grow room is 2'X5". I have them planted in 5 gallon buckets rocks in the bottom and drain holes. 2 450 watt LEDs about 30" above the plants. Attached is a picture I took today of blue dream (droopy) and my healthiest plant, white widow. I really appreciate you guys reading about my growing conditions and taking the time to help me get on track!
    3 Big Bazooka fem
    3 gal smart pots
    coco/perlite
    8' w X 3' d X 7' h grow room
    2 Vipaspectra 450w LEDs

They should b way bigger at 5 weeks. I think a few things have got ya. The soil sounds hot for sure. I'm assuming that their roots didn't grow much and may b to hurt to do much more. Maybe try a replant into some neutral soil with no bites and give just phed water and see if they bounce. It worth a shot

Comment

Over or under watering? If your soil in "too hot" why are you giving additional nutrients?
      You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• Mr.furley
        Mr.furley commented
        Editing a comment
        What's the ph?

Possibly roots never came out of those cups and bound. I like to mangle my roots on re pot gives them some motivation to dig

Comment

Not much to do - other than transplant. And carefully. That's what I would do.

But - have to have soil that has some aeration. I would use a different soil mixture - one that has a lot of perlite in it.

Your soil is probably rock hard underneath that bark mulch - that's another don't use - meaning that your roots have not reached their potential of filling a 5 gallon pot. I bet your roots aren't much longer than six inches.
        Whatever you do - good luck - read much more before grow number two.
        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
        Mars Hydro
        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Thanks guys. I didn't realize that the soil was too hot until I read and figured out what "hot soil" is! Maybe, if I'm lucky enough to safely get them out of the buckets, do I do anything with those cups? When I moved them to the buckets, the roots were coming out of the bottom of them.
          3 Big Bazooka fem
          3 gal smart pots
          coco/perlite
          2 Vipaspectra 450w LEDs

Comment

Too many nutrients for that small of a plant, and the container is way to large as well. Start them in solo cups... then 1 gal... then 3-5 gal and so on. They will grow up quicker that way and watering will be better as well.
            4x4 600w HID empty for summer
            3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
            2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
            running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
            https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

I will also ask, whats the PH? If the soil is to hot, a replant may save them,, wood pulls nitrogen from the soil as it decomposes
              I have made soil to hot as well, I verified it by taking a sample to my local ag center. (they said it was great fertilizer LOL)
              What manure? Some are hotter than others, rabbit poo can be used without much fear, but chicken poo is very hot,,,

Comment

The PH right out of my tap is about 7.0. After adding nutes at half strength, it's about 6.0. I have read so much about overwatering that I have been careful not to do so and have been using the 1" method to check. I'm gonna try to re plant this evening. Couple quick questions. After the re plant, do I just lay off the nutes for a while, till they get established, or do I go ahead and give them some? Also, not knowing what I'll find when I uncover the cups, should I cut the bottom out or try to remove them from the cups? Thanks again ya'll. Great group.
                3 Big Bazooka fem
                3 gal smart pots
                coco/perlite
                2 Vipaspectra 450w LEDs

Comment

I agree with all the above, replant quality soil with perlite. Hold off on any neuts. They'll let you know when. I think the roots poked thru your grow cups, hit the hot shit and said Oh hell no ! When roots hit light or air they self prune. Hence air pots and smart pots. If there are minimal roots thru the cups I would try and remove the plant or cut the cup in half. Shake off what you can and gently replant. Water with Ph'ed water with a little cal-mag.

Comment

Amazing discovery. Out of the four plants, only one had roots out of the bottom of the cup. So, re panting was pretty easy (well, if I did it right). I dug around each cup, lifted them out of the bucket, peeled the peat cup away from the soil that it contained, carefully broke away about half of the soil, and replanted in cups with drain holes in the bottom and a mixture of ace hardware potting soil and perlite. I gave them a good drink (straight water) and brought them back in to the house and under the CFLs where they began their life. Hopefully they'll make it! Thank you all so much for your advice. I'll update in a week or so.
                    3 Big Bazooka fem
                    3 gal smart pots
                    coco/perlite
                    2 Vipaspectra 450w LEDs

Comment

• Toker1
                      Toker1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Might want to wrap some aluminum foil around the clear containers. Roots hate light.

• Canuck147
                      Canuck147 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Congratulations on taking that step. Toker is right.

thanks again guys. no substitute for experience! I'll take all the help I can get!
                    3 Big Bazooka fem
                    3 gal smart pots
                    coco/perlite
                    2 Vipaspectra 450w LEDs

Comment

It's likely your ph. From your photo, it appears you have a lot of bark in your planting media. Bark is acidic. And yes, at five weeks your plants should be much bigger. Here's a photo of one of mine at five weeks after cropping, manifolding.

Comment

Well, I'm gonna hope for the best. I guess in a few days I'll know if they are gonna make it or not. I kinda think they will since I didn't have to disrupt the roots much. I'd love to see them looking like that plant!
                        3 Big Bazooka fem
                        3 gal smart pots
                        coco/perlite
                        2 Vipaspectra 450w LEDs

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X