New grower need to narrow down on nutrients and soil type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New grower need to narrow down on nutrients and soil type

On Black Friday I was able to buy my first grow set up from my local grow supply store. I picked up a 4.5 by 4.5 by 7 foot tent with a 630 watt CMH light and a 6inch exhaust fan with filter. The only thing I have to get is soil and nutrients. What would you guys recommended. Is super soil better than organic soil with nutrients added? I’ve seen that a lot of people use the fox farms trio and that seems to be at a good price point for me. Any feedback would be awesome.

You gotta decide what you want to do. You want to plant and give water every few days? Or you want to control the nutrients? If you want to use nutrients use coco as medium. Otherwise a rich soil needs only water. But if you buy a rich soil and feed nutrients you going to run into lots of issues

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just like 9fingers said above.
      I've used KindSoil alot, its a living soil, but all you need is phed water,and molasses, with good results. But I grow autos mosty
      I love your new setup.
      Good Luck and HappyGrowing! !
      DimeBagKilla

D.A.A.S.69 9fingerleafs Thank you. I plan on growing autos my first go around. Are you using kind soil and molasses with your autos?

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm using dug up MsDelta soil now, with added perlite, its plenty rich enough for me.
      But when I use KindSoil and something on top ,like Coco or FFOF , that's all i use is unsulfered molasses and phed water, I will also use a little Recharge every now an then.
      You can't start seedling in KindSoil, it will burn them up.quickly.
      And also, if you decide to use KindSoil, buy it from Phil, directly ,not from Amaxon.
      Good Luck with whatever you decide! DBK.

D.A.A.S.69 That’s good to know about not planting directly Into the medium! I assume you are using half strength nutrients with the msDelta or is it already nutrient rich? I really appreciate the feedback. Just want my first grow to be as successful as I can make it

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      DimeBagKilla, that's the beauty of growing in living soil, you don't need any nutrients, plus I usually use CocoLoco, or FFOF on the top half, And both of those have enough nutrients in it to last 3-4weeks.
      So you don't need any, the molasses will keep your soil, charged up.
      Plus, imo, it helps your buds swell up. The scientists used to say and may still say that molasses didn't do any good.
      Kinda strange that most nutrient companies, now have some molasses in it now..lol
      Any kind of cheap unsulfered molasses will work fine, but we are kinda partial to
      BrerRabbit, its got more good stuff in it than Grandmas brand does.
      Read up on using Molasses, I ain't very good at explaining stuff.
      I hope that helps you some DBK, sorry it took so long for me to respond to your question, we been gone awhile.
      HappyGrowing bro.

Sorry for the bad picture. DBK. Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	892.0 KB
ID:	270693
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

Congrats on the setup and get ready to have some fun. Living soil is by far the least labor intensive way to grow. And you can grow some mighty fine plants with it.

I go the ffof with the trio of nutrients plus molasses route but it takes alot of work and has a long learning curve. It is honestly a true pain in the ass. So if you can start and learn the super soil/living soul route you will be far happier in the end. Either make your own or get something like kind soil. Or be like D.A.A.S.69 and live in an area that has the most fertile soil in the world.

And D.A.A.S as soon as I can get my nephews who we call the wonder twins over here I'm gonna send them out to get me a few 55 gallon Barrels of the dirt from the flood zone and start using it. I'm to broken to be trying to carry that much dirt back up to the house. And we need to do it while the snakes and bugs are hiding. Just cant get them out of the woods long enough to go do it. Or when they are here it has just rained and the soil is heavy as hell.

Comment

Roots Organic Original soil- is coco based & won't burn seeds.

Great White granular- apply to seed & soil - then roots & soil when transplanting. (optional- strongly encouraged)

Use Protekt and Cal/Mag every watering/feed.

Nutrients; FloraNova- Grow & Bloom products.

Unsulfured Molasses at about week 5 flower.(optional)
        It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
        http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

I use the fox farm soil and liquid feed line up. I find it cheaper to to use than the hot soils are. I typically spend about $75 per year on these products if I am growing consistently throughout the entire year.
          4x4 600w HID empty for summer
          3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
          2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
          running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

I use FFOF and the trio , each grow with different strains is unique to itself. You'll have to learn to read your plants.
            Go half strength and pony up and buy some sledgehammer flush, you will need it. One thing I always start a grow with is topping soil with diatomaceous earth, it's great at keeping fungus gnats at bay. Starting with autos is a good idea but you'll switch to photos soon enough .
            Good Luck!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X