Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indoor grow questions

First what is the purpose of a tent?
    I will be setting up some grow-rooms for 6 flower stage + 6 veg stage grows. My plan is to use an entire bedroom for this, plant autos and run the light 24/7. I am not worried with the smell, the GF will run a (DIY) scrubber.

Second I want to try bags instead of pots, would burlap be a good material to make these from?
    I can get burlap sacks cheap, undo the bottoms, cut up a few into circles and have the GF sew them up, plan is to use 10-15 gallons of organic soil for each plant.

Seeds should be here Monday, soil is off to be tested (10 days out) for much more than NPK and PH, with advise on what to add to grow weed in (my organic soil). The gal at Oklahoma Sate University was pleased to hear I was looking for help to grow my MMJ! The testing is only $10.00! (Well worth it IMHO)

I will use whatever lights I can get my greedy paws on until I can budget better. Should get easier as time goes and I can have my home grown instead of buying it! That budget can then go to improvements,, it is not easy being disabled and on a fixed income,,, I see DIY LED panels in my future,,,

A tent provides a specific area which makes controlling the environment of the grow much easier.

We are bombarded with the idea (marketing) you have to buy/use something to improve a grow- it's actually the environment which is far more important once the basic needs are met.

Click image for larger version  Name:	38208434_10212919290321745_8348147608480382976_n.jpg Views:	2 Size:	8.3 KB ID:	268129

That said: I have grown 1oz autos on a window sill during a New England winter, treating it like a houseplant!

Getting the soil tested is a great idea , if you are mixing your own-
    You will find most of what you need is in there and not waste time/money on the above mentioned nutrient marketing.

Consider getting your water tested as well!
    It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

fabric pots are cheap and I don't think burlap is gonna cut it

Comment

• Potted
        Potted commented
        Editing a comment
        Burlap is not very strong and rots, try landscaping material in a milk crate it’s worked for me 😁

A tent is great for containing smell and light. Keeps pests away (somewhat) And can be discrete if done right. The tent frame gives you a place to hang your heavy grow equipment during usage.
      Biggest pain about converting a room is blacking out all the windows properly and finding a way to hang the larger grow lights. Not to mention the fact that you will need to seal and paint the room.
      A tent can be a convenient time saver when setting up a room.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• Weed Pharma
        Weed Pharma commented
        Editing a comment
        ends up costing less, too!

Ok I'll ditch the toe-sacks, they are cheap ($0.25) , but if they rot out that wont do.

I live by myself, I am not worried about lights or smell, I am also in the country (.25 mile x .20 mile) so I am not worried about lights being seen from outside (the window is covered with 1/2" aluminum backed insulboard). I will be doing autos on 24/7, I plan to cover the walls with aluminum foil,, I will be doing 6 plants to start and more as they near ripening, I can see 9-12 at a given time.

Toker1 do tell me more on sealing and painting the room

And Thanx to all!

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have never heard that before. UV light is mostly used to increase resin production as UV light is corrosive and too much available UV can stunt plant growth. I do know that if you have any wrinkles or tears in the foil... you are losing reflectivity. Let me tell you the aluminum foil will tear and rip over time.
        A mirror like surface finish does have higher reflective properties, but the thermodynamic properties of aluminum are less desirable. Aluminum will retain the heat inside your grow room, where Mylar does not.

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        UVA will be reflected or passed by many more things than UVB. What I am seeing is to reflect UVB takes gold, copper or aluminum (I have this one), NASA uses gold. It is the UVB that I wish to reflect (the UVA can come along for the ride), UVB looses intensity the further away it is,, will it help produce more THC, IDK!

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s for the last 2-3 weeks of the grow. And you want direct UV. Not reflected.

Yes, that caught my eye as well...

Comment

I bought one of those 4’ Wide rolls of Mylar for around $25. It covered a 10x10x8’ room with less than 1/2 the roll. I used a staple gun every few feet and in corners. Bottom first then the top over lapped the seam . Easy to fill a few dozen stapler holes when ready to clean up and re-paint.

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you using UV lighting? Mylar does not reflect UVB,,, well some of it, about 22%, UVB has enuf loss in the distance from the plants.

• Farmall
          Farmall commented
          Editing a comment
          Using the UVB lamps only over the tops of the canopies during the flowering. not counting on any reflectivity. What’s below, gets the glow

I will be picking up some landscape fabric today, as I lay these grow bags out, would it hurt anything for the side to be doubled?
        And what about lift handles?
        My seeds are in Tulsa, and I should have them in a few hours, I'm getting a bit excited!
        Soil test is maybe 9 business days out yet,,,

Comment

• gold01ca
          gold01ca commented
          Editing a comment
          it's good to be excited, go get 'em!

have been using Black Magic myself, plants love it from seed to harvest

Comment

My seed is here, I dropped a white widow, white moscow and a headbanger the 20th, the headbanger has popped its head up and is saying hello to the world this morning (2 AM)! These are new420guy seed, nice fast delivery, and I luv the little containers they shipped in! The free seed was headbanger as well (I hope its as nice as the name suggests)!! Great to talk to on the phone,,,

OSU called and said they wanted to do extended testing, at another $10 (because of the amount of organic mater in this soil sample), I said do it! LOL, they also said they would be calling it "garden vegetables" instead of MMJ, federal funding issue (must have talked with legal dept.), I just laughed and said tomatoes is close enuf!

2 bags built yesterday, it becomes very obvious what one needs to do when they have they material in hand. I built wire cages for the bags to live in, 18" wide (round) by 16" (usable) height (bag is 18" cage is 16") out of 2x4 welded wire fencing (drop). My back hurts from the sewing (and cages), I did it by hand,,, must be time to get the bong out! I went with the heavier material, with its longer warranty, like the would replace if it did not last that long! I like that it is black on one side and tan on the other, I turned the tan side out,,. IDK how much soil these will hold (yet), it is not enuf! My guess is 20-25 gallons,,, I'll find out as I fill them.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Rwise. Trust me on this one. I've grown every autoflower Paul sells at New420Guy seeds, except a couple of the lowriders, but I got plenty of those seeds too. Just haven't grown them yet.
            But Headbanger is awesome. Mine finished in under 70days, and is some powerful smoke, ChemsSister is our next favorite.
            I've grown several WhiteMoscows too.
            Matter of fact every seed I've grown from Paul, grew great.,and finished super fast, they smell super loud though, so you sure need a filter, unless it's legal where you live.
            Anyway good luck, and have fun.
            There is no more ChemsSister to be had, though, I'm glad Paul sent me a bunch of those though, we aren't running out of seeds for a while, thanks to Paul, super nice guy, he even sent me a nice tshirt..
            Good Luck with yourgrow.
            HappyGrowing.

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            I just placed another order, got get some things before he runs out!
            If you have the seed for ChemsSister, why not produce some seed from them?
            Thanx!

Having never used these "smart pots" I am a bit afraid the outside and bottom will get dry. I have been giving them 1/2 gallon of water every other day, each one holds 20 gallons of soil. Once they get bigger I will increase to run off, until then the water is added around the plant and away from it to promote root growth. Should I be giving them more water now?
          In the lead is the white widow, closely followed by headbanger. The white moscow is behind a bit, it came up with the peak-a-boo leaves grown together at the tips, never seen that! It has good color, and will overcome it,,,

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X