Maximizing CBD at harvest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maximizing CBD at harvest

Been trying to get accurate - current info on the subject of when in the process of trichomes going clear to amber is is best to harvest in order to optimize the CBD content.
    Reading this - " In the plant, CBD is a precursor and CBN a metabolite of THC. As cannabis gets older, THC gradually breaks down to CBN." I interpret this to suggest that early in the milky stage (what Nebula call the "plastic look") is the right time. Do I understand correctly??

My plants are NORTHERN LIGHTS. The seed source described this an an INDICA strain high in CBD content. Would like to get the best of that rather than the THC benefit. I think I could be within a few days to a week for some milky trichomes, so I'd better figure this out.

Thanks for your help.

Crow

That makes sense to me. Now that I think about it nobody mentions that

Comment

Got any pics? And i wish i could help with the cbd trich question. I wouldn't know anything about it unless i researched it myself.
      “Pounds of weed. Sour D. That medical for my allergies.” - Juicy J

Second Grow:

Sweet Tooth Autos (4)
      192w t5 (veg) 400w HPS (flwr) 24/0hr
      3 Gal Smart Pots
      FoxFarm Trio
      +Open Sesame
      +Cha-Chang
      +CaliMagic

First grow:

150w hps hydro grow (DIY)

Current Grow:

(1) new420guy Black Domina and P98 Bubba Kush
      192w t5
      Rapid Rooter/Jiffy-Pot/5 Gal Smart Pot
      FF BushDoctor Coco-Loco
      FF Nutrient Trio + CaliMagic

Comment

So I have been looking into growing cbd. Ringo’s gift is a 24:1 and I am in the works trying to obtain a cut right now. From what I have been reading CBD is best when the trics are milky white before they get amber (which is much different from how I would judge harvest on a THC strain where I wait till I see an amber head on the tops). I’ll try to find the link.
        4x4 600w HID empty for summer
        3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
        2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
        running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

I did a bit of research on the biochemistry of cannabinoid production. The best books for this is marijuana botany by R.C Clarke.

There has been some great research that accurately details the chemical transitions during cannabinoid synthesis. The process from clear to cloudy and cloudy to amber is not quite as clear cut as its typically thought. When the resin glands that develop on the flowers of cannabis are clear, this indicates active cannabinoid biosynthesis. When the color starts to become opaque, cannabinoid synthesis is slowing and has passed its peak levels of THC. Which is kind of interesting because many attempt to harvest at peak THC, but harvesting when clear is thought to be quite early for many. Which suggests quite strongly that High THC numbers is not the defining factor in a superior euphoric response. And that other cannabinoids such as CBD and CBN likely play a major part in this.

When color starts to shift amber, this is not a direct result of the degradation of THC to CBN. But research has shown that the timing of this shift indicates very accurately the degradation process. Which is caused by the oxidative process of THC to CBN. However what makes things much more complex in the interpretation of the resin glands is that even when they start to turn amber, this does not mean that cannabinoid biosynthesis is still not developing further, and can be that more time can allow extensive increases in cannabinoid levels, even though THC is degrading to CBN. For example. Amber bulbs that are still transluscent and clear, can be still undergoing cannabinoid biosynthesis faster than THC is being degraded to CBN. However amber bulbs that are opaque are likely degrading and would be wise to harvest at this point.

As far as CBD levels, this is determined mostly by genetics and is hardely influenced by much. However you can use the above information to determine how to obtain a different THC to CBD ratio. As when trichomes start to become opaque, it is generally THC which slows rather than CBD. So letting them develop longer past this peak THC point, will allow CBD to continue biosynthesis and potentially be higher. Though this is very minimal increases and it largely influences the THC to CBD ratio as the degradation of THC shifts faster than the synthesis of CBD.

This is on the list of mine to complete a article which details this process for readers to be able to use to interpret their products more accurately and determine what they actually are after as far as the end result of the product.

Here are a couple of threads where i discuss the research behind this.
        Written Articles:
        Light Metric Systems
        Using Light Efficiently
        The Light Cycle Debate
        Environment Conditions
        Grow Light Technologies
        How To Compare Grow Lights
        To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
        Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
        Facebook
        Twitter
        Instagram

Comment

• Weed Pharma
          Weed Pharma commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent book!
          The take away I have used from this book: to welcome the translucent ambers (begin water only) and chop at the first signs of opaque amber.

While I harvest for THC and high CBD content, I do not want CBN (narcotic effect) and I want the best quantity with quality yields.
          If you harvest too early, you will loose yield and this has been a failsafe guide for me.
          Last edited by Weed Pharma; 10-31-2018, 06:13 AM.

• DrPhoton
          DrPhoton commented
          Editing a comment
          Couldnt agree more!

Best to get strains like Nebula CBD, Catatonic, etc etc etc. I love my nebula CBD. Make sure to harvest when all trichomes are cloudy. Havent seen a difference in waiting for amber in that strain. I can tell you that waiting for amber will give you much more laid back smoke. No paranoia at all. Dont know if it's the CBD., lower THC, or what but it does make a huge difference. Nebula CBD is some great smoke. It has a 1 to 1 thc to CBD content. Has many many benefits over a high thc low CBD strain.

Comment

Thank you ALL. Precisely the kind of feedback I knew I could get from this crowd. "Chop at the 1st signs of opaque amber" it will be, at the least - "cloudy".
          Might try doing a few batches at different stages to get a real world test.

Crow

Comment

Do some research into industrial hemp, one major technique that is used to pull down THC values is pollinating, however this also reduces overall Cannabinoid output including CBD. CBD is also far more stable than D9THCa and oxidizes into CBN slower than THC.
            Grow and good luck
            Current grow:

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...lly-grown-meds

past grows:

http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...2-grow-one-off

http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...hello-everyone

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X